empty space in left side of cargo tray?

CaboWabo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Bose/moonroof, sonic silver
There's an empty space just to the direct left of my spare tire in the cargo tray. Its a long vertical straight slot. What, if anything, is supposed to be in that slot? All my other spaces are filled, including the 2 spaces for the tow hooks.

There's an empty space just to the direct left of my spare tire in the cargo tray. Its a long vertical straight slot. What, if anything, is supposed to be in that slot? All my other spaces are filled, including the 2 spaces for the tow hooks.

I thought the same thing, figured it was just extra space. I put my Maglite flashlight in there. It fits perfectly, the flashlight doesn't roll around or make any noise.

The 2016 don't come with the tow (really tie-down) screw eyes, but we get the empty slots. ;-) It bothered me enough that I bought a pair and stuck them in there. (Rear: $15, Front: $20)

Last edited:
I thought the same thing, figured it was just extra space. I put my Maglite flashlight in there. It fits perfectly, the flashlight doesn't roll around or make any noise.

I was thinking it would be perfect for a Maglite. I think I'll do that. Thanks.

The 2016 don't come with the tow (really tie-down) screw eyes, but we get the empty slots. ;-) It bothered me enough that I bought a pair and stuck them in there. (Rear: $15, Front: $20)

I wasn't talking about the tow hook slots on the right. I'm talking about the long empty slot on the left.

Nothing is supposed to be in that long vertical straight slot. It may be just for spacing or for saving some styrofoam material. I wrap the wheel lock key with sponge and leave it in that slot.

You're lucky to have these two tow hooks in your 16's. I had to pay for these and they aren't cheap!

You're lucky to have these two tow hooks in your 16's. I had to pay for these and they aren't cheap!

When I bought my CX5 last week I asked the salesman to include the 2 tow hooks in the deal.

I was trying to think of some other items that would fit in that empty vertical slot. Maglite is a good idea. Or maybe a fold-up emergency road triangle.

I put my Honda Accord lug nut wheel locks on my CX5 however the lug nut socket is not the same size as the oem lug nuts so I got a universal lug nut wrench and that lives there. Actually I like the universal lug nut wrench better because of the added torque. You notice there are sections in the stryfoam that have nothing so I used an old soldering iron and melted places for a screwdriver, adjustable wrench and other things. Works great. I first did this on my Accord. Just be careful not to burn through to the back of the foam.

Last edited:
emergency type tools might be better off in the cargo area, secured by a safety net or bungees etc

if i need road flares, reflective vest, flashlight, etc - getting into the spare tire area (especially with the add-on cargo tray) is more steps than i'd want to take if i need them NOW

Lots of good room above and around the spare tire. I have lots of stuff in there that I do not want just lying around.. My 2015 came with all of the factory stuff in there places. Wonder if anyone ever used the tie down parts?

I was going to get a big Maglite for the slot, but then I thought the batteries would eventually corrode when I forget about them. A shake-up flashlight might be a better option. They have some on eBay that are about the length of a long Maglite and only about $15.

Anytime-Double-Coil-Shake-Flas-105224.jpg

I was going to get a big Maglite for the slot, but then I thought the batteries would eventually corrode when I forget about them. A shake-up flashlight might be a better option. They have some on eBay that are about the length of a long Maglite and only about $15.

Anytime-Double-Coil-Shake-Flas-105224.jpg

I've had the same batteries in my Maglite for about three years now and they don't corrode. Just use good batteries. I do check it every once in awhile though.
Only problem with keeping it in the back is it negates the self defense aspect of the maglite. That light is one serious head pounder, just ask any cop.

If self-defense is what you want, PeleusTech CREE makes a cool spiked "baseball bat flashlight". Only $13.85 on Amazon. 17.9" long.

51a28b04DML._SL1100_.jpg

Last edited:
I have my tow ball mount bar in the slot as it fits perfectly and I suspect that is what it is for.

I have my tow ball mount bar in the slot as it fits perfectly and I suspect that is what it is for.

good idea, but you'd have to have a straight bar and unscrew the ball every time, right?

Back