Seat Cushion Recommendations?

DCCommuter

:
2016 Mazda CX5 GT - Meteor Grey
New owner here! I traded in my 2011 Subaru Legacy for a Mazda GT AWD. My family preferred that over the Subaru Forester or Outback. Very happy with everything that was included with the base GT and really liked the way it handled.

I didn't notice the firmness of the leather seats during my test drives, but now having the car and driving in DC commuter traffic for over an hour one way, I really need some more padding under me. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Costco has a memory foam/gel pad that's on special right now (at least in Calif) for $15. I just bought one to try it out. So far, so good.

DCCommuter I'm in a similar boat. Really like the car, but wish the seat was just a bit softer.

Unfortunately, I don't think all Costco warehouses carry the same products and I didn't see any mention of a memory foam/gel pad on their website. Perhaps you will be luckier than me.

Great car uncomfortable seats. Took a 300 mile drive up the Pa turnpike and my bottom was numb! I was hoping the 2016 seats were better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great car terrible seats. Took a 300 mile drive up the Pa turnpike and my bottom was numb! I was hoping the 2016 seats were better.

I don't think they are terrible - just firm...firmer than our 2015 Odyssey. I have leg / back pain...not diagnosed as sciatica, but it sure seems like it from the symptoms I've read about. I've only had the car a few wks, so I'm hoping to find a comfortable spot by adjusting the seat. I see a lot of people who have commented find tilting the bottom cushion up helps.

Thanks for the advice. The salesperson said given time he thought it might improve, either it will loosen up and/or my body will adjust. I'm a little skeptical about both, but hopefully finding the right seat cushion will do the trick...!

Firm seats are comfortable if they fit, not so much if they don't. These fit me pretty well. You might try adjusting the seatfront higher for more thigh support, evening out the pressure.

Different problem, same solution. Spouse is long-legged yet only 5' tall. Could not see over the steering wheel of our '10 MX-5. Solution was to go to an auto upholstery shop. They manufactured a seat cushion with the same face-side panels and seams as the seat. Covered it in a cloth very close in colour to the original leather. The inside made with three foam densities to yield the comfort and height she wanted. The underside of the foam was sculpted match the contours of the OEM seat to ensure that it would not slide around during use.

Sure it was 160$. Happy wife, happy life. Just sayin'.

Brian

glad I got the cloth seats, they are quite comfortable

No luck at the local Costco, nor can I find it the cushion online. Oddly enough, I sat for three hours at dinner last night in a hard chair and didn't feel much discomfort. Some softer seating surfaces have really caused my back/leg pain to flare this week.

I asked a similar question in a separate thread - specific to GT owners, and/or those who have previously owned cars with leather seating surfaces, is there any validity to the comments from DCCommuter's sales rep...do the seats break-in or soften a bit over time?

Wife was all set to get a CX-5 until she took a second test drive. Seats were too hard. She ended up with an Equinox LTZ. The leather seats are not as hard as the CX-5.

Costco has a memory foam/gel pad that's on special right now (at least in Calif) for $15. I just bought one to try it out. So far, so good.
We have "Ultimate Gel Seat Cushion" (item 615905, memory foam with cooling gel) on sale for $14.99 at local Costco too. It's apparently not available online. My wife is the daily driver of our CX-5 and she said the seat is conformable and she doesn't need any gel seat cushion.

I went to the HealthyBack store and tired a few cushions out. I liked the sales guys there as they had no problem with me taking the cushions out to my car and try them. Still, I didn't quite find a cushion I was comfortable with so I will keep looking. For the price there, I am was glad to try everything out. I liked the Technogel Seat Pad the most but I wish it would taper off. The wedges I tried made me feel a little too high.

My wife drove the car a little over the weekend and said I had the seat "all jacked up" when she got in there and had to adjust it. :) I probably have been doing more harm than good trying to find a comfortable spot! It's hard though as the firm seats don't start to really bother me until after an hour or so in the car, so I have been 'playing around' with the seat setup. Weekend errands, and I feel fine.

Does anyone notice if the seats do actually get less firm? I would say the only chance might be more in the summer time when the sun is baking on the seats, but even then I am not sure it would make enough of an impact.

Back