OIL: Drain a bit or leave it? (Photo)

It wouldn't hurt to let a bit out. I like to see the upper limit hole free of oil. My ideal fill is 3/4 way to the upper fill limit hole.

What's with the white? The dipstick in my 2013 2.0L doesn't look like that.

Hey Mike and thanks.

That's just a glare - no white.

I'll see if I can drain some out from the top.

Turkey baster or Veterinary needle works great for removing small amounts of oil.

Like this?

61kgCRuHMML._SL1004_.jpg

Mine was like this when they delivered it new. It takes 4.5 and I think they just put 5 quarts in. No problems-

Do you have Fumoto oil drain valve? How many quarts of oil did you put in? Those watery 0W-20 oils sometimes is hard to read from the dipstick. It seems unlikely to overfill the 2.5L with 5 quart of oil even though the spec calls for 4.8 quarts. I'd use this cheap hand pump found at Harbor Freight Tools to suck some overfilled oil out to the Full mark through the dipstick tube:

$_35.JPG

Changed my oil today and placed all 5 quarts of moly in it.

I'm not about to start saving 0.2 quarts of oil and waiting for it to accumulate with each 5000 mile oil change to equal 1 quart (or 0.8 quarts) That'll take years. She'll be just fine.

Changed my oil today and placed all 5 quarts of moly in it.

I'm not about to start saving 0.2 quarts of oil and waiting for it to accumulate with each 5000 mile oil change to equal 1 quart (or 0.8 quarts) That'll take years. She'll be just fine.
What was your oil level after the oil change? If you drained the old oil properly and completely, general consensus here is even if you put all 5 quarts of oil instead of 4.8 quarts for the oil change on a 2.5L, the oil level should be only at ⅔ or between the Low and Full marks of the dipstick instead of over the Full mark like other cars. It's not the matter of trying to save 0.2 quarts of moly oil... ;)

Owner's manual for every car will tell you do not overfill the oil. Ours is the same on page 6-28 for the 2016:

CAUTION
Do not add engine oil over Full. This may cause engine damage.

A 2.0L skyactive is 4.7L and a 2.5 Skyactive is 5.2L across all models.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Having more oil will cause slightly more cavitation, and more crankcase vapours, this will cause more oil to be brought into the engine through the PCV system. More oil going through the engine can lead to deceased fuel economy and possible damage to the catalytic converters.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back