Mazda CX-9 2016 : LA Auto Show

xwedge

:
Mazda CX-5 2016 Touring AWD with Bose/Tech
http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...-auto-show-mazda-cx-9-20151116-htmlstory.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/18/2017-mazda-cx9-official/ (with official press release information that explains the engine)

Apparently, the engine WILL be a 2.5L Turbo :
"The new engine puts out 250 horsepower, less than the 273 produced by the V-6 in the current model. But the new engine will produce 310 pound-feet or torque compared to the 270 in the old engine. The vehicle also is expected to get fuel economy in the low 20 mpg range, about a 20% gain on the current model. It will be mated to a six-speed automatic transmission."

Wonder if this will be the new Mazdaspeed 3 engine...or maybe CX5 speed (I doubt it though...but one can hope)

Last edited:
My wife has a 2016 CX-5 GT. It's impressive and fun to drive. I have a 2012 Outback. It's comfortable, very roomy, but the CVT is boring to drive.

I've been waiting on the new CX-9 and Subaru's upcoming 3-row vehicle. The CX-9 looks outstanding. No spy photos yet of new Subie, but I doubt it will look as good as the Mazda! I really like it. I bet the GT model will be around $45k, with the base "sport?" coming in the $30-34k range.

Well, as soon as the cx-9 is at dealers, I will be looking at the engine. Hopefully my turbo will be set up by then anyways.

The color of that interior though!!! (bow)

I agree, very impressive. Block out the Mazda emblem in the lower left, and I don't think your first guess would be that you were looking at a Mazda.

Well, as soon as the cx-9 is at dealers, I will be looking at the engine. Hopefully my turbo will be set up by then anyways.

I noticed that the specs say 10.5:1 compression. Just curious as to how your engine compression is setup to compensate for the turbo?

Looks great. As information becomes available, I'd be curious as to what modifications Mazda made to the 2.5 in order to reliably boost it.

Honda's new turbo 4 engine/CVT combo are getting excellent power/economy ratings. Mazda's turbo Skyactiv engine/transmission will be a welcome answer.

I'm interested in the car for sure! Looks nice, I think it looks better then the new Audi Q7. I wonder what the tow rating is going to be here in the states. I'd really like to get a boat eventually so the next vehicle for my wife needs to be able to tow

I guess maybe this won't be the new mazdaspeed engine ... :(

"Asked if there was any intent to bring out dedicated Mazdaspeed versions of its current cars in the future, Kogai’s answer was vague but negative.

Following the reveal of the all-new CX-9 and its turbocharged 2.5 litre SkyActiv-G 2.5T engine, many will naturally be wondering whether Mazda will drop that motor into something smaller to add a little extra zip.

After all, the discontinued CX-7 made use of a powerful 2.3 litre turbo that also saw service in the Mazda3 MPS, why wouldn’t the same strategy work with the SkyActiv-G 2.5T?

Yet while that engine was tuned for performance (and very much reflected that with its fuel consumption, as CX-7 owners will attest), the SkyActiv-G 2.5T is instead optimised for low-end driveability and good fuel economy.

It might have a healthy 169kW of power and 420Nm of torque, but the bulk of that torque happens around 2000rpm. Unlike many turbo petrol motors, it doesn’t sustain that peak torque figure in a broad plateau - it tapers off steadily as revs rise.

It’s not a good engine for a hot hatch, in other words."

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/62605/mazda-mps-models-not-on-the-horizon

So if the 2.5 SKY-T is for designed for that diesel like low end torque, and the cylinder wall spacing is the limiting factor on the HP, sounds as if a 2.0 SKY-T is in order.
That would be the possible variant for the Mazdaspeed3 and Mazdaspeed6 application.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-impressive-kodo-design-skyactiv-turbo-engine

"An interesting technology on the engine is its Dynamic Pressure Turbo system. This has the ability to control the flow of exhaust gasses entering the turbo. At lower revs the gas is squeezed through a smaller opening to build pressure and help spool up the turbo quicker. At higher revs, a secondary valve opens up to help normalize the pressure (maximum boost pressure is 17.4 psi)"

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-impressive-kodo-design-skyactiv-turbo-engine

"An interesting technology on the engine is its Dynamic Pressure Turbo system. This has the ability to control the flow of exhaust gasses entering the turbo. At lower revs the gas is squeezed through a smaller opening to build pressure and help spool up the turbo quicker. At higher revs, a secondary valve opens up to help normalize the pressure (maximum boost pressure is 17.4 psi)"
So this is similar in theory to BMW's twin turbo configuration. A smaller turbo charger is for low rpm and larger turbo charger is for the rest.

I still prefer a non-turbo SkyActiv V6 though...

It sounds similar to the present sequential twin turbo fitted to my diesel.?

Back