Any solution to hatch/roof ski box interference?

:
2015 CX-5 Touring
I want (need?) to mount a LONG Thule roof box on top of my 2015 CX5. Long enough to fit 2-3 pairs of fat 190cm powder skis. All the searching I've done comes up with numerous threads discussing the difficulties, but none have offered any solutions. Normally I'm all about DIY and figuring things out on my own, but these things are too expensive for trial-and-error.

Essentially, only short, stubby boxes fit on the roof and still allow the rear hatch to open. Has anyone found a way to mount a long box and still retain hatch access? I have a naked roof (no rails, bars, or sunroof). I'm planning on mounting the 460R feet and drilling through the gutter guards. This setup appears to offer the most forward mount and also the greatest distance between cross bars for maximum stability. The only remaining question is how to get a roof box up there.

I think the real question: has anyone found a box that can be re-drilled for a DIY mount? The 3D molded ribbing across the bottom of the box is probably the biggest hurdle. There are channels that are molded in which are designed to fit on top of the crossbars.

Anyone found any solutions?

I want (need?) to mount a LONG Thule roof box on top of my 2015 CX5. Long enough to fit 2-3 pairs of fat 190cm powder skis.

What are you doing with such long skis?
Sometimes my 177 Rossi's feel too long?

Back in the day I had some 207 cm K2 Extremes!
Quite the handfull in the bumps but mighty fine GSssssing.

Sometimes my 177 Rossi's feel too long?

Back in the day I had some 207 cm K2 Extremes!
Quite the handfull in the bumps but mighty fine GSssssing.

skiing fast in bigger terrain and deeper snow requires bigger skis. Plus he could be a bigger person than you.

ClangClang: You need to get the front crossbar as far forward as possible, ideally over the driver's head. The factory rails and crossbars don't go forward enough. Also adding a bit of height can give you the needed clearance over the rear spoiler. It can be done but it won't be quick and easy and cheap.
I need to carry long skis and paddles and use a Yakima Skybox 12 on my CX-5. Some older boxes don't have enough adjustment to get the clearance though. I had a picture showing the hatch clearance, 1/2 inch but can't find it now.
My rack setup is a custom track drilled into the roof. Stronger and more versatile than the factory setup but more expensive and permanent.

IMAG1040.jpg
IMG_20140311_120830_357.jpg

Exactly what rjdee said. I ski fast, I ski deep powder, and I'm 6'2", 185 lbs. Well over 200lbs if I'm carrying a pack into the backcountry. If my skis were any shorter I'd sink or tumble right over the handlebars.

My rack setup is a custom track drilled into the roof.

That looks great. It appears your front bars are about 10"-12" in front of the B-pillar. That probably gives you an extra 6" of forward relief more than the setup I described in my original post. If you only have 1/2" of box-to-hatch clearance it sounds like my current plans won't work. Thanks for saving me some headache and money!

Got any more info on the custom track? Model number or designation? DIY or professionally installed? Costs? Etc.

Last edited:
Back