Colorado Blizzard

dergibog

:
Mazda CX-5 '14 GTw/Tech
Anyone else here in Colorado getting ready for this big snow? Going to be fun rockin' the awd for once outside of the hills. Should be the most snow I'll have driven in since I got the car 3 years ago. I'll try & report back how things work out.

I'm ready! I just got the new snow shoes put on Saturday! This will be the first real snow we've had since I bought mine.

It passed through here yesterday

Anyone else here in Colorado getting ready for this big snow? Going to be fun rockin' the awd for once outside of the hills. Should be the most snow I'll have driven in since I got the car 3 years ago. I'll try & report back how things work out.

Must be the one that passed through here yesterday. The mountains got plastered, but the valleys did not get too much more than a few inches. Winds were bad though!
Stay safe...COLD SUCKER it is!

Post pics for us once it's here! This will be the first winter with my cx5 here in Maryland. We can get some good storms every once in awhile.

Just returned from a trip to Tahoe through a snow storm. This is the first time I actually driven my CX-5 over snow as in all other occasions the roads where dry partly because of the drought. It was a blast. The roads were covered with fresh snow or the crud left over by plows. There have been multiple accidents. On the way home, the road was closed due to multiple spin-outs, or so we were told. After a long wait, while snow continues to fall, I turned around and drove through a different road.
Earlier in the day I entered an unplowed lot and did some donuts. With traction control on and off. Despite having all-seasons on, the CX-5 did pretty good. With straight line braking, results were as expected: shockingly long distance for a complete stop. Needless to say, I drove really slow until the roads were clear of snow. Not sure when will be the next time, usually the roads are dry when we go on a ski trip.

Question: what do you guys do to avoid getting the wiper blades to be covered in ice then stop being effective while driving? Do you add alcohol to the wiper fluid? vinegar? Something else?

Question: what do you guys do to avoid getting the wiper blades to be covered in ice then stop being effective while driving? Do you add alcohol to the wiper fluid? vinegar? Something else?

I use a deicer wiper fluid. Keep the defrost as hot as you can stand it. Even then, if the storm is bad enough, you just have to stop every once and a while and break the ice off.

Over a foot of snow expected tonight with 50mph winds. Should pass quickly though.
Alfaya, doubt you can buy -20F wiper fluid in San Jose. Probably +32F fluid.
Pickup a gallon next time you are in the mountains.

I use a deicer wiper fluid. Keep the defrost as hot as you can stand it. Even then, if the storm is bad enough, you just have to stop every once and a while and break the ice off.
I found those all-season bracket-less beam wiper blades found on many European cars are performing very well during snowing and icing condition. By design, bracket-less beam blades are not affected by snow and ice build up. The enclosed tension springs help keep the blade flexible and effective in wintry conditions. Unfortunately those after-market ones are not curved properly for every windshield hence they are not that effective.

Totally missed us. Lol! Not suprised. The Mountains cause forecasters a lot of embarrassing moments. Not to say there isn't a blizzard though. Some areas are getting pounded. Maybe next time. :/

Over a foot of snow expected tonight with 50mph winds. Should pass quickly though.
Alfaya, doubt you can buy -20F wiper fluid in San Jose. Probably +32F fluid.
Pickup a gallon next time you are in the mountains.

Yes due to CALIFORNIA REGS, you can not get the good stuff here.
Whenever someone I know is coming from out of state, I ask them to bring me a jug of the good stuff!

Totally missed us. Lol! Not suprised. The Mountains cause forecasters a lot of embarrassing moments. Not to say there isn't a blizzard though. Some areas are getting pounded. Maybe next time. :/

We got a good 6+ inches here on the south end of town.

Had fun driving around Chicago yesterday in our November storm. The CX-5 appears to be good for the winter. Unfortunately on a 50 mile expressway drive from burb to burb the Led headlights froze over due to snow and slush. Unlike HID or Halogen the LEDs don't put out enough heat to melt snow and ice that hits the lens. Over time an ice layer builds up and the headlights become useless. I can see on snowy evening trips having to stop and clear the headlights and fogs every hour or so.

Last edited:
Had fun driving around Chicago yesterday in our November storm. The CX-5 appears to be good for the winter. Unfortunately on a 50 mile expressway drive from burb to burb the Led headlights froze over due to snow and slush. Unlike HID or Halogen the LEDs don't put out enough heat to melt snow and ice that hits the lens. Over time an ice layer builds up and the headlights become useless. I can see on snowy evening trips having to stop and clear the headlights and fogs every hour or so.

That is a real drag! Did Mazda not know this? Mercedes Benz has headlight anti-freeze squirters on some models. Sounds like Mazda should have added this too.

This is why I LOVE old, proven technology. Stuff that people do not account for happens when you step outside of that. Unless the technology has a problem/new can be demonstrated OPERATIONALLY superior, I try to stick with what works.

That's not good. Hmm...

Another storm on the way!

We got a good 6+ inches here on the south end of town.

We are supposed to get hit beginning tuesday and thru thurs with another COLD storm! Should be getting stronger as it makes its way East of us..as usual!

That's not good. Hmm...

Even though I live in NC, I do go to Ohio fairly often, year-round. I do not like the headlights cover freezing with the LED's, especially since they are plastic, which I would imagine would get scratched from cleaning off ice. Nor do I like electric parking brakes, or the skinny console arm-rest. It looks like I will be purchasing my 2015 CX5 at the end of it's lease period.

Anyone else here in Colorado getting ready for this big snow? Going to be fun rockin' the awd for once outside of the hills. Should be the most snow I'll have driven in since I got the car 3 years ago.

Your Continental Extreme Contact all season radials will be no match for real winter tires!

Back