Love my 2011 CX-9 GT AWD but want to downsize

RobertinMD

:
2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
Sorry, long post... Looking into the CX-5 because it seems to fit the bill to a tee for what I need and want. Really like the way it looks and all the great things that come with its Mazda creds but in a smaller package. Important because unlike our previous place's single-door 2-car garage, our new house's garage has a "column" between two garage doors - so, it's a tighter and narrower space to work with (not to mention the big pillars everywhere and smallish spaces at the parking garage at work [didn't use to drive in; started after we moved to the new place]).

Only have two more payments left on my 2011 CX-9 GT AWD but think I might go ahead and enjoy no payments for just a few months then pull the trigger on a smaller SUV. It only has a little over 60K so I should do pretty good with its trade-in value.

Based on my research, my short list would include the CX-5 and maybe the VW Tiguan (which I've read is due for a MY 2017 refresh - yes, I've read all about VW's emissions cheating fiasco on some of their TDI diesels). I think the CX-3 is too small, and I swore off CVTs (i.e. CR-V, Rouge, et al) based on comments I've been reading.

Does anyone know from an official communication that there will actually be a CX-5 MY 2017 refresh? I've read some speculation but nothing official. Someone said to look for an announcement during the L.A. auto show later this month. Also saw posts speculating 2016 models will get big discounts ahead of the supposed new 2017s, but even so, wouldn't it be hard to get the exact configuration combination you want (colors, technology packages & other options, etc.)? Thanks for any and all thoughts!

Are you hauling kids/people? If not I'd at least check out and test drive the CX-3.

The CX-5 drives/handles more livelier than the Tiguan. The Tiguan is the better "cruiser" as it is quiet and feel's hefty. The Tiguan's extra features will cost you although you can get killer deals on VWs right now.

Sorry, long post... Looking into the CX-5 because it seems to fit the bill to a tee for what I need and want. Really like the way it looks and all the great things that come with its Mazda creds but in a smaller package. Important because unlike our previous place's single-door 2-car garage, our new house's garage has a "column" between two garage doors - so, it's a tighter and narrower space to work with (not to mention the big pillars everywhere and smallish spaces at the parking garage at work [didn't use to drive in; started after we moved to the new place]).

Only have two more payments left on my 2011 CX-9 GT AWD but think I might go ahead and enjoy no payments for just a few months then pull the trigger on a smaller SUV. It only has a little over 60K so I should do pretty good with its trade-in value.

Based on my research, my short list would include the CX-5 and maybe the VW Tiguan (which I've read is due for a MY 2017 refresh - yes, I've read all about VW's emissions cheating fiasco on some of their TDI diesels). I think the CX-3 is too small, and I swore off CVTs (i.e. CR-V, Rouge, et al) based on comments I've been reading.

Does anyone know from an official communication that there will actually be a CX-5 MY 2017 refresh? I've read some speculation but nothing official. Someone said to look for an announcement during the L.A. auto show later this month. Also saw posts speculating 2016 models will get big discounts ahead of the supposed new 2017s, but even so, wouldn't it be hard to get the exact configuration combination you want (colors, technology packages & other options, etc.)? Thanks for any and all thoughts!

New 2017 CX-9 is being released at the autoshow next week.

The following is based on my experience of past Mazda releases, and not official in any way: Since the 2016 CX5 was just refreshed for 2016 model year, I really do not see another refresh feasible until the next all new 2018/19 CX-5 which we are probably still a year away from hearing more about at the 2016 LA Autoshow. We might see a CX-5 concept car at the 2015 LA Autoshow, however we will probably see it released in spring '17 as a 2018 model.

Last edited:
Are you hauling kids/people? If not I'd at least check out and test drive the CX-3.

The CX-5 drives/handles more livelier than the Tiguan. The Tiguan is the better "cruiser" as it is quiet and feel's hefty. The Tiguan's extra features will cost you although you can get killer deals on VWs right now.

Don't have kids and won't be a people hauler, but need decent space with rear seats down for vacation trips, Lowes/Home Depot, etc. The CX-5 hits the sweet spot between the just a little too small CX-3 and too big CX-9, I think. The Tiguan has lots to recommend it, too - and who knows, there might be deals to be had from a repentant VW...lol. I'm under no rush nor pressure so hopefully that will be to my advantage with what's out there in late spring or so. Thanks for your response.

New 2017 CX-9 is being released at the autoshow next week.

The following is based on my experience of past Mazda releases, and not official in any way: Since the 2016 CX5 was just refreshed for 2016 model year, I really do not see another refresh feasible until the next all new 2018/19 CX-5 which we are probably still a year away from hearing more about at the 2016 LA Autoshow. We might see a CX-5 concept car at the 2015 LA Autoshow, however we will probably see it released in spring '17 as a 2018 model.

Thanks. Will want something sooner so looks like a 2016 for me if I go for a CX-5!

Robert, unless you are ginormus - I'm 6', 230 lbs. - you will enjoy the CX 5.
We hauled a 7 cu. ft. vertical freezer home in it.
I went from a Venza to the CX. Much easier to park, handles like a car, just a fine package.
We get around 30 MPG in our front wheel drive.
The CX 3 is a great sub compact but a CX is what u want.

Thanks. Will want something sooner so looks like a 2016 for me if I go for a CX-5!

If getting a 2016 CX-5, get it between Jan-March. Much easier bargaining a few G's below MRSP. I don't think the 2017s will provide any significant updates over the 2016 models. Another think to consider is the CRV. Its got tons more space, an updated cabin, and an excellent engine but the CVT may or may not be a deal breaker. The new Tuscon looks very appealing and may be worth a look as well. I would cross shop the Tiguan/CRV/CX-5/Tuscon.

Robert, unless you are ginormus - I'm 6', 230 lbs. - you will enjoy the CX 5.
We hauled a 7 cu. ft. vertical freezer home in it.
I went from a Venza to the CX. Much easier to park, handles like a car, just a fine package.
We get around 30 MPG in our front wheel drive.
The CX 3 is a great sub compact but a CX is what u want.

Thanks, Doctor Awkward. I'm ~5'10", ~200 lbs so it looks like the CX-5 would work really well. That's amazing about the freezer fitting in the back. That's all I need to know it's more than adequate, space-wise. I appreciate your sharing your positive experience. Very helpful!

If getting a 2016 CX-5, get it between Jan-March. Much easier bargaining a few G's below MRSP. I don't think the 2017s will provide any significant updates over the 2016 models. Another think to consider is the CRV. Its got tons more space, an updated cabin, and an excellent engine but the CVT may or may not be a deal breaker. The new Tuscon looks very appealing and may be worth a look as well. I would cross shop the Tiguan/CRV/CX-5/Tuscon.

Thanks for the good comments. Each of the ones you mentioned have very good aspects. Lots to consider...

Don't have kids and won't be a people hauler, but need decent space with rear seats down for vacation trips, Lowes/Home Depot, etc. The CX-5 hits the sweet spot between the just a little too small CX-3 and too big CX-9, I think. The Tiguan has lots to recommend it, too - and who knows, there might be deals to be had from a repentant VW...lol. I'm under no rush nor pressure so hopefully that will be to my advantage with what's out there in late spring or so. Thanks for your response.
Seems like you've captured the essence of your choice here and that the CX-5 will probably work for you. Don't know if you've driven one yet, but you'll find the ergonomics quite different from your CX-9. My brother in law (who also lives in MD!) has a CX-9 and every time we visit them and he carts us around DC in his car I am struck by how much more of a traditional SUV seating position and center console height it has. The CX-5 truly is more car-like and that can be a mixed bag. You'll never hear a CX-9 owner complaining about the too low/too short center armrest. That said, once you adjust, you'll no doubt find the CX-5 quite comfy, but different. And BTW, I wouldn't try to stuff a 7' freezer in the back of my CX-5. There's not even 6' of load floor and you'd have to drive with the rear hatch at least halfway open and lashed down. Not my idea of safe!

With the money you are saving with no payment, you will be able to get started on the wheels and mods you want and it will look extra fresh once you get it.

And BTW, I wouldn't try to stuff a 7' freezer in the back of my CX-5. There's not even 6' of load floor and you'd have to drive with the rear hatch at least halfway open and lashed down. Not my idea of safe!

Nobody said it was 7' long - it's 7 cu. ft. Big difference.

I was driving an Audi when I bought my CX-5 so I started with the Tiguan (Same parents, many cars on the same platform). I was prepared to like it and buy it. I had my daughter with me who owns a Mazda and loves good handling cars. After a 10 minute test drive I asked her is she wanted to drive it. Her answer was No need. My take was that it wasn't dangerous in a twisty turn road or a swerve but it wasn't anywhere near fun. I asked the salesman if he felt there was anything wrong with it. He said no that was how they drove. The CX-5 was next and we were all grins after the twisty turn test we found a empty parking lot and pushed it hard around sharp turns. More Grins. We went on to test every crossover out there except GM. For fun to drive, handling, the CX-5 was a clear winner.

Thanks, Doctor Awkward. I'm ~5'10", ~200 lbs so it looks like the CX-5 would work really well. That's amazing about the freezer fitting in the back. That's all I need to know it's more than adequate, space-wise. I appreciate your sharing your positive experience. Very helpful!

Glad to share.
The box for the freezer was about 69" tall. A Costco run will fill up the CX.
I also really like the adaptive headlights and auto wipers which I have never had before.
Ditto for BSM.

Getting a few G's off MSRP is easy now. All you have to do is ask for it. Heck, I didn't even have to ask at two dealerships. Now getting the next $3-500 after that was a little tougher, but definitely doable...

Seems like you've captured the essence of your choice here and that the CX-5 will probably work for you. Don't know if you've driven one yet, but you'll find the ergonomics quite different from your CX-9. My brother in law (who also lives in MD!) has a CX-9 and every time we visit them and he carts us around DC in his car I am struck by how much more of a traditional SUV seating position and center console height it has. The CX-5 truly is more car-like and that can be a mixed bag. You'll never hear a CX-9 owner complaining about the too low/too short center armrest. That said, once you adjust, you'll no doubt find the CX-5 quite comfy, but different. And BTW, I wouldn't try to stuff a 7' freezer in the back of my CX-5. There's not even 6' of load floor and you'd have to drive with the rear hatch at least halfway open and lashed down. Not my idea of safe!

Thanks! Looking forward to taking a tester out for a spin. I kind of forgot what "car-like" is like. Both our cars are SUVs. Guess we like the "U" for utility. :)

I was driving an Audi when I bought my CX-5 so I started with the Tiguan (Same parents, many cars on the same platform). I was prepared to like it and buy it. I had my daughter with me who owns a Mazda and loves good handling cars. After a 10 minute test drive I asked her is she wanted to drive it. Her answer was No need. My take was that it wasn't dangerous in a twisty turn road or a swerve but it wasn't anywhere near fun. I asked the salesman if he felt there was anything wrong with it. He said no that was how they drove. The CX-5 was next and we were all grins after the twisty turn test we found a empty parking lot and pushed it hard around sharp turns. More Grins. We went on to test every crossover out there except GM. For fun to drive, handling, the CX-5 was a clear winner.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. The Tiguan is (was?) on my list. The photos of what the 2017 refreshed model will look like are nice. Very similar looking to the BMW X3. But need to be a pleasure to drive. I spent too much time in my car for it not to be fun to drive...

Back