SCBS...Collision avoidance systems + other safety systems in the Mazda.

Buzzer777

:
Mazda,CX-5, AWD,2015 Grand Touring, Meteor Gray Mica
Been reading a bit on the SCBS in my own 2015 GT w/ tech and I must say the amount of information on Mazda's entry into collision avoidance systems appears to be VERY entry level, if one is to judge by the amount of information released. I have seen a bunch of Youtube vids which show "backyard" attempts at testing...ie: as in trying it out live and uncontrolled running into objects ranging from cardboard to wood etc. Most of the Mazda demos I have seen would rate a "fail".

To be fair, I have not seen any scientific tests. Mercedes shows about 2 seconds of a system in action in one of there own controlled commercials...Looks pretty cool from what they show!.

In fact the only collision avoidance system, that is pretty heavily advertised in the low-mid level price , is the "eye sight" by Subaru. Of course there is the "infamous" test of the Volvo system (not sure of what year) "mowing down observers" in a dealer's parking lot where LUCKILY no one was injured. I owned a 2013 Outback without the eye-sight,since I considered it way too new to warrant the expense.

Of course, none of us owning a CX-5 w/ SCBS would be dumb enough to attempt such a test in their own vehicle; but I always wondered of any REAL LIFE INCIDENTS where the Mazda system actually worked as intended, and were recorded.
A few months back, one of the forum's members was involved in a really nasty accident in his new 2016 CX-5. He mentioned that the CX-5 actually tried to phone for help via an internal system of some kind.

SOME OF US ASKED HOW HE KNEW THAT SUCH A CALL WAS ATTEMPTED (NOT COMPLETED SINCE HIS PHONE WAS NOT IN THE CAR AT THE TIME). That was the only other time (other than when I was buying my own..AT THAT TIME THE SALESMAN BRIEFLY NOTED ITS EXISTENCE!) that I heard any mention of this setup and how it worked. I did go into the GT options and was able to locate the option that was indeed set to on by the dealer!

IT IS CALLED AUTOMATIC 911 (U.S.A. and Canada only) and will activate in a moderate to severe collision! See Page 5-86 in the 2015 manual! Apparently the 911 operator can confirm the vehicle's position using the onboard GPS system!!!
SOUNDS TOO FANTASTIC NOT TO ADVERTISE!!!
Anyone been able to glean any information???

Last edited:
The SCBS system does work as expected. It saved me from an accident few months back. I posted a new thread about the experience. Please see my previous posts for details.

I was not aware of the 911 feature. Pretty cool. Why wouldn't they advertise it?

The 911 feature has been advertised, and was mentioned to me by the salesman when I purchased my car. I kind of assumed that everyone knew about it, but at any rate it was one of the first things that I turned on when I bought my CX-5.

Mine activated upon coming up to a parking gate a bit fast.

SCBS saved me from rear ending someone. Since new CX-5s don't have a protruding bumper, this would have meant damages to grill and hood for sure and maybe the lights too. I would've spent more money on repairs (high deductible insurance) than what I spent on upgrading to Tech Package. So, in my mind, the SCBS has paid for itself already.

I'd like to know what the difference is between SCBS and SBS.

SCBS is optional with the GT tech package and SBS is optional on the iACTIVE package.

I originally thought the only difference was an audible notification at higher than 19mph, but I recently noticed IIHS updated their brake support rating for the 2016 CX-5s equipped with the I-Active package from advanced to superior.

Source: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5-4-door-suv
^ On the bottom left menu you can select "Front crash prevention" and when you click SCBS only and the rating downgrades to advanced.

With SCBS "the 25 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 0 mph"
But with SBS "the 25 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 22 mph."

Source: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5-4-door-suv?print-view

Last edited:
I've heard my SCBS activate twice. Each time I was slowly rolling forward, waiting for the vehicle in front of me to finish off making its turn. I guess the CX5 thought I was too close for comfort.

Good to know SCBS does work!

The SCBS system does work as expected. It saved me from an accident few months back. I posted a new thread about the experience. Please see my previous posts for details.

I was not aware of the 911 feature. Pretty cool. Why wouldn't they advertise it?

Happy to know, from the replies, that SCBS does work!! :) In these days, I'll take anything I can get ...

I had forgotten what the salesman told me about the 911 feature, and only remembered after our member reminded us at the time of his accident. By the way, he was actually flipped upside down on his roof with a minimum amount of damage to the roof structure, and NO injuries...Made me feel pretty good about my own purchase!

That 911 feature is definitely present and gets about 1/2 of a page in the manual...However, like you, I am surprised that they don't advertise it! I go out of my way to remind my insurance company about the safety features (fishing for more discounts) but they have not recognized it as yet!

I had mine activate once pulling too fast into the garage - I guess the rising door caught the sensor and the car did a hard brake in the driveway - scared me but glad it worked! I thought about getting an empty box and bubble wrapping it to test it at various speeds but my wife vetoed the idea, lol.

I have 911 feature activated - it's great to have. My mom's Escape had that and it came in handy when she was in a pretty serious accident. She said the car called 911 during air bag deployment and even though she was foggy, she remembered speaking to someone over the phone. They were able to get her location from the phone I believe and help came right away. Her phone flew onto the floor somewhere and she wasn't reach / find it until they pulled her out of the wreck.

Back