When did CVT get introduced to the CX-5?

SpintoWin

:
2016 CX-5 Touring
Sorry if this is a question that's been covered before but does one know when the first year Mazda introduced CVT for the Cx-5?

I have a 2016 CX-5 and it is not a CVT. One reason I bought it. Mazda doesn't use CVT Transmissions.

Last edited:
how does the op not know what transmission is in his car? Op's car is a 2016 so I'm assuming it was purchased from a dealer, it's it possible the dealer told them it was cvt? Questions like this just beg for a face palm!!!

Last edited:
The CVT was introduced after the 2.5l turbo but before the rotary CX-5 type R.

More info http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/skyactiv/skyactiv-drive/
No CVT
CVT stands for Continuously variable transmission so by definition if it has 4 or 6 or 8 speeds it is not a CVT.

I thought CVT stood for Continously Vibrating Transmission?
ugly_confused2.gif

As much hate as it gets, everyone I know loves their Subaru's and noone has had issues with it that I know of. I think it's the future, and will only get better. Lots of happy 2.0XT owners.

That's a huge reason I couldn't consider any Nissan - CVT. I hated it. It doesn't feel like driving. 2016 US CX-5 doesn't offer CVT.

I'm amused because this is the same argument I bet die hard manual fans had against automatics, and later, push button shift automatics. Both of which are now considered upgrade type items. Especially the paddleshift.

On the topic of CVT's but off topic from the threads intention... I drove my first CVT a couple months ago on a business trip in Detroit. OMG I hated it. The droan was horrible, the slip when accelerating...no... thank... you!

BTW the vehicle was a Nissan Altima. Now the one thing I could get used to with that car was the 530 miles to empty the computer showed after I filled it up!

BTW the vehicle was a Nissan Altima. Now the one thing I could get used to with that car was the 530 miles to empty the computer showed after I filled it up!

Altima is a 18 gallon tank compared to our 15.3 gallon. If only they had put a bigger tank in ours. But then more cost per fill up.

Altima is a 18 gallon tank compared to our 15.3 gallon. If only they had put a bigger tank in ours. But then more cost per fill up.

Nah man, these are racing machines! A few extra pounds out back would totally kill hp/lb ratios!

Latest posts

Back