New CX5 Owner impressions/questions

ddingle

:
2020 CX5 Sig
Just bought a 2015 GT with 16k miles. Most every option except for AWD. I have driving it for about a week now. Had a 2005 WRX before this. Living up to my expectations! Not a WRX for sure,but nice handling and decent power for a bigger (than WRX) vehicle. Nice to run on regular too. A couple of observations: It seems like the engine/transmission is a bit noisy? 1st and 2nd gear seem whine a bit as you pick up speed. The WRX was a stick,so I am not sure what to expect,but seems slighty on the noisy side. In addition the front end feels like it is "drifting" or "tramlining" a bit at normal speeds on straight roads. I am correcting with slight movements of the wheel,but it is a bit distracting.I would guess tires? The Toyos have plenty of tread left,but not sure what else could be causing the slight drift. I am considering new tires along the lines of the Continental Extreme Contact. Not an exact match in size for the Toyos in an EC,but close.
Looking forward to lots of enjoyable miles in this new cruiser!

I was set on a 2016 Touring after hours of research and coming back to the brand after I postponed buying a car. When I heard that the 2016 had increased sound insulation I was happy b/c I thought the prior year models were a bit loud. I have to say after test driving the 2016 Touring yesterday that I still found the car buzzy. It's still fun to drive but I was a little disappointed it wasn't quieter. Maybe I am just getting old.

The tram-lining might be attributed to the 19's. Our CX-9 has this sensation on scored roadways on its 20 rims.

Just bought a 2015 GT with 16k miles. Most every option except for AWD. I have driving it for about a week now. Had a 2005 WRX before this. Living up to my expectations! Not a WRX for sure,but nice handling and decent power for a bigger (than WRX) vehicle. Nice to run on regular too. A couple of observations: It seems like the engine/transmission is a bit noisy? 1st and 2nd gear seem whine a bit as you pick up speed. The WRX was a stick,so I am not sure what to expect,but seems slighty on the noisy side. In addition the front end feels like it is "drifting" or "tramlining" a bit at normal speeds on straight roads. I am correcting with slight movements of the wheel,but it is a bit distracting.I would guess tires? The Toyos have plenty of tread left,but not sure what else could be causing the slight drift. I am considering new tires along the lines of the Continental Extreme Contact. Not an exact match in size for the Toyos in an EC,but close.
Looking forward to lots of enjoyable miles in this new cruiser!

-I went with Continental Cross Contact LX20's. I have no tramlining or drifting, and I know what you're talking about. My Z06 loved to do that on grooved concrete roads. My CX-5 does not.
-Handling is very good, it's when you near the limits of adhesion/pass them that it begins to wallow, and the limits are sufficiently high for an SUV. I'm impressed!
-Engine and transmission NVH are a bit high in this vehicle. I hear piston-slap when it's cold, and I hear a bit of a whine if I REALLY listen for it, but it doesn't have any more whine than any other vehicle I've driven really, so if you're harping on whining specifically, and not just being OCD/picky, you might have an honest problem. As far as transmission whine in an auto, it's right in the middle of what I have driven, and I've driven a ton of different vehicles in the year I worked for an auto dealer.
-Noone I know is impressed with Toyos. Mine were worn terribly and dry-rotted. My car is a 2015, and I bought it about 4-5 months ago with 26K miles on it. No excuse for a dry-rotted tire.

Try rotating the tires first and see if that helps. As for noisiness, Mazda values fun to drive over quiet. Zoom-zoom!

I bought my 2015 with 16,000 km (9760 mi) on it. The Toyo tires looked good, were worn evenly, but felt "dead". They did not wander or tramline, they just felt like driving on novocaine. I replaced them with Continental TrueContacts, which feel much more lively. Steering feels lighter but very precise, and I feel much more feedback from the tires.

The CX-5 lets in significantly more engine noise than my last car, a 2010 Mazda 3 GT. It is a little annoying when the engine is cold, when it is much noisier. But once it warms up I don't find the noise bothersome. However, anyone who wants the vault-like silence of many luxury cars probably won't like it.

50# more sound-deadening wouldn't have upset the balance of a small family SUV...

so far you want 40# for a bigger fuel tank and 50# of sound-deadening...

According to car and driver, my CX-5 weighs 3126 lbs and has 155HP, so it has an impressively high 20.16 lb/hp

The 2016 AWD CX-5 weighs 3564lbs and has 184HP, so 19.37 lb/hp
Adding just 145lb extra to the 2016AWD model would give it the same power to weight ratio as my supposedly "underpowered" 2.0L CX-5

According to car and driver, my CX-5 weighs 3126 lbs and has 155HP, so it has an impressively high 20.16 lb/hp

Adding just 145lb extra to the 2016AWD model would give it the same power to weight ratio as my supposedly "underpowered" 2.0L CX-5

A most excellent point! It's very common for people to discount the small changes that add up, thinking it won't make any difference. But this goes against one of the basic Skyactiv tenants - weight reduction provides better driving performance (if it doesn't result in the chassis becoming more flexy). Mazda made a robust chassis for improved driving dynamics and better safety but reduced weight where it didn't impact Skyactiv goals.

It really does all add up!

Thanks for the responses. I suspect the noise is normal. As mentioned I really liked the Extreme Contact Continentals on my WRX. They don't make a 225/55/r19,but they do make a 245/50/r19. The height of tire would be very close to the same(.05"),so shouldn't have any speedometer issues. The tire would be about .75" wider. Any input on going off specification on the tires to get the ECs? Thanks

Yeah, but it still pulls a 0-60 time a full second quicker in the testing I've seen, and 90#? Really? Yeah, that's the equivalent of teenage girl. It's not going to kill any kind of performance. Blistering redline performance a tenth or two quicker vs. longer cruising range and much better driving environment...in a compact SUV? It's a no-brainer, IMO

Yeah, but it still pulls a 0-60 time a full second quicker in the testing I've seen, and 90#? Really? Yeah, that's the equivalent of teenage girl. It's not going to kill any kind of performance. Blistering redline performance a tenth or two quicker vs. longer cruising range and much better driving environment...in a compact SUV? It's a no-brainer, IMO

Weight kills performance. or put another way Objects at rest tend to stay at rest. It's not just a good idea, it's the law (of physics) Longer cruising range and much better driving environment is a no brainer decision that I made when I chose the CX-5

I wanted Zoom Zoom handling and I willingly gave up a soft quiet ride.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a car based on a quiet ride, long range, or even the presences of WiFi as Chevy is advertising. I thank God that we have chooses and we can chose Zoom Zoom instead.

Weight kills performance. or put another way Objects at rest tend to stay at rest. It's not just a good idea, it's the law (of physics) Longer cruising range and much better driving environment is a no brainer decision that I made when I chose the CX-5

I wanted Zoom Zoom handling and I willingly gave up a soft quiet ride.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a car based on a quiet ride, long range, or even the presences of WiFi as Chevy is advertising. I thank God that we have chooses and we can chose Zoom Zoom instead.

I just don't think that 30-50# of dynamat would be visible to you. I mean, how many owners in America are overweight by 30#? I'm pretty defined, and hell, MY BMI places me in the "overweight" category! So I know some of you CX5 owners are a legit 30-50# overweight...but have you gotten on a diet yet to enjoy your racecar?

I just don't think that 30-50# of dynamat would be visible to you. I mean, how many owners in America are overweight by 30#? I'm pretty defined, and hell, MY BMI places me in the "overweight" category! So I know some of you CX5 owners are a legit 30-50# overweight...but have you gotten on a diet yet to enjoy your racecar?

50# of dynamat will only provide a small decrease in noise..

There is a reason the "quiet" CUV's weigh close to 4000lbs
http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...4=200459300|suv&show=0|6&comparatorId=3356836

What you or I think is irrelevant. Increased weight has a negative effect on performance including acceleration and handling. That is not opinion, that is fact. Driving while overweight is a choice. Adding a lot of sound insulation is a choice. Both will have a negative effect on performance including acceleration and handling.

Or you could just buy a Toyota. But we're all here because 'appliance on wheels' doesn't appeal to us.

That's a BS argument. What does the owners weight have to do with it? That weight is there with or without the Dynamat. We are talking about ADDITIONAL weight.

Dynamat is useless weight. If you want it don't expect Mazda to provide it, do it yourself. I won't cry if you turn your spritely and fun to drive CX-5 into a boring porky tank. While you're at it, install bullet proof glass and steel armor because a few more pounds won't matter. Especially if you're high on barbiturates 24/7.

Or you could just buy a Toyota. But we're all here because 'appliance on wheels' doesn't appeal to us.

Actually, that's why I bought my CX-5. It is an appliance on wheels, and got the best reliability ratings and didn't have any "flaws" that would cost me money (vibration issues like the CR-v, transmission problems like the older RAV4's/Highlanders, etc.)

That's a BS argument. What does the owners weight have to do with it? That weight is there with or without the Dynamat. But...maybe it shouldn't be. Gym, diet, etc...but that's real work. We are talking about ADDITIONAL weight.

Dynamat is useless weight. If you want it don't expect Mazda to provide it, do it yourself. I won't cry if you turn your spritely and fun to drive CX-5 into a boring porky tank. Because 30-50# totally kills it. That's why the GT w/Tech model is such a terrible performer and the base 2.5L is such a beast! While you're at it, install bullet proof glass and steel armor because a few more pounds won't matter. Especially if you're high on barbiturates 24/7.

That's why I didn't get the sunroof. THAT is a serious performance killer. I'd hate to be any of you guys/girls who have a sunroof. All that weight at the highest point in the vehicle! I bet I would destroy you at the track!

Oh...wait...you never thought of that because it doesn't matter and this is a family car and you can't tell the difference. Carry on. Or are you now worried about all the performance you gave up for your sunroof? LOL!

The derp is so strong on this topic. 30-50# on the floorboard is what all of you are whining about? And you have SUNROOFS!? Mike M is even toting around a useless AWD system in his vehicle when he should just run snow-tires because AWD doesn't do much of anything according to him.

This is so sad.

The 2016 weighs more than the 2015...same acceleration/skidpad numbers.
The Touring weighs less than the GT, and both weigh more than the base model...same acceleration and skidpad numbers.

I'm still waiting for someone to rip out their AC compressor and radio. I think you all have reached the height of absurdity on this topic, talking about a family car/SUV like 30-50# is going to make/break how it "handles". Insanity.
I really do NOT understand people who buy a slow 4-banger SUV, and then agonize over what 30-50# would have done to harm performance, while at the same time checking the "yes" box on a Sunroof. Mind...blown.

Last edited:
Oh ye of little understanding and many misconceptions. Have another beer. (drunk)The excellent headlights were not available without the sunroof.

And yes, weight is additive and does impact driving dynamics.

Oh ye of little understanding and many misconceptions. Have another beer. (drunk)The excellent headlights were not available without the sunroof.

And yes, weight is additive and does impact driving dynamics.

Dude. This is a race-car. You don't need those stupid headlights if it's going to force you to have horrible weight additions. (bang)

Back