Sudden MPG increase?

Tkirwan

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
Well I'm over 700 miles now and I've noticed a very nice mileage increase! I was averaging 22-24mpg in mixed driving, recently I've begun seeing 26-28 and today 30mpg in the same mixed driving! I did check tire pressure and found it at 38-39, dropped it down to 36. I have also started using the more expensive gas stations in the area, Stewart's and Sinco, still using 87. Not sure if this is a fluke or things are breaking in! As love as it lasts, I love it!

I had a mileage increase with my CX-5 too. I think it is engine break in.

Yes, that's normal, MPG will inc3ease as parts wear in.

Make sure you are not avoiding spinning the engine up and wearing the valve seats, rings, etc. properly. Full flow of fuel once in a while keeps injectors in top condition too.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by spin up? I've been going easy on the gas to protect the new parts.

The mileage and engine performance (more zippy) improves after the first oil change. I'd assume the removal of the oil from said 1st oil change contains metals from the wear-in period. After 2 oil changes the engine is markedly smoother.

The mileage and engine performance (more zippy) improves after the first oil change. I'd assume the removal of the oil from said 1st oil change contains metals from the wear-in period. After 2 oil changes the engine is markedly smoother.
I wonder how much of that is actual wear-in, and how much of that is the ECU fine-tuning itself.

I wonder how much of that is actual wear-in, and how much of that is the ECU fine-tuning itself.

Combination of both. When new for both Mazdas I drove them "spiritedly. When I drove the Mazda6 off the lot I did 90 in the freeway on the way home. Mixed in some city driving. The thing is not to remain the same gear nor high rpms for extended periods of time. I wanted to give all gears and rpms some work early and often. Let the ecu know whats up. The car was happy to oblige:)

Combination of both. When new for both Mazdas I drove them "spiritedly. When I drove the Mazda6 off the lot I did 90 in the freeway on the way home. Mixed in some city driving. The thing is not to remain the same gear nor high rpms for extended periods of time. I wanted to give all gears and rpms some work early and often. Let the ecu know whats up. The car was happy to oblige:)

That can cause excessive heat in the driveline, though. Most of the break-in is the transmission, axles, wheel-bearings, diffs, etc. on a new vehicle.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by spin up? I've been going easy on the gas to protect the new parts.

Spin up = use 3/4 throttle to take the engine up to 4600 rpm's. Best done on long uphill grades while accelerating.

Let the engine spin happy, not grunt hard!

That can cause excessive heat in the driveline, though. Most of the break-in is the transmission, axles, wheel-bearings, diffs, etc. on a new vehicle.

Moderation is key. Nothing wrong with letting the needle sway right. Hitting max rpm every now and then. Chances are, someone else did during a test drive. Just don't get carried away. Like stay in 2rd gear at 55mph for 3 minutes at a time.

Moderation is key. Nothing wrong with letting the needle sway right. Hitting max rpm every now and then. Chances are, someone else did during a test drive. Just don't get carried away. Like stay in 2rd gear at 55mph for 3 minutes at a time.

I agree, moderation is key with most things. Except meth. Never with meth.

Not sure where the OP lives but It could also be the weather. Not having to run the A.C. will make a noticeable difference in mileage.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Not sure where the OP lives but It could also be the weather. Not having to run the A.C. will make a noticeable difference in mileage.

Does it really, in this vehicle? I've never noticed it with any other vehicle I've owned.

It depends on what study you're reading I don't know about the specifics on the CX-5 but most things I've read suggest any where between a 10-25% decrease for gasoline only vehicles.

A whole 1 MPG in my testing.

Changing from summer blend to winter blend in your fuel can cause it also.

A whole 1 MPG in my testing.

I've never driven with the A/C off to tell. All my cars hit/exceeded their EPA ratings with AC and radio on doing 70-80mph. Except my CX-5. But that's something I've long since accepted. It still gets great mileage for an AWD SUV of any size.

Latest posts

Back