Digital Speedometer

Mazfra

:
Mazda cx-5 touring fwd
Hi Guys,

May be I am missing something but I cant figure out how to display the speed digitally.I have a 2016 Touring with no tech packs.

Thanks,

I don't know any CX-5 with a digital readout for speed.

The Tucson has one and its excellent, maybe a phone App?
Apologies for Paris1 his attitude to other members is very arrogant, I don't know why he bothers posting.

Hi Guys,

May be I am missing something but I cant figure out how to display the speed digitally.I have a 2016 Touring with no tech packs.

Thanks,

I don't know of any "driver" who would want a digital speedometer. Analog speedometers (and tachometers) are the standard due to the fact that they convey rapidly changing information much more readily than digital (who wants to look at "88"???). The only way to prevent this issue is to delay the readout when it is changing rapidly (for example, under hard acceleration). But then the driver is viewing the past, not the present. The only reason a car maker would use digital in these applications would be to satisfy the stingy bean counters.

Last edited:
Apologies for Paris1 his attitude to other members is very arrogant, I don't know why he bothers posting.

Did you ever consider that it's not arrogance but rather he is aware of the significant pitfalls of using a cheaper digital readout in an instrument designed to display rapidly changing information rapidly?

The Tucson is probably trying to appeal to a younger, less experienced consumer who is not aware of the significant pitfalls of using a digital display (but likes it because it is different from convention). Win/win, make the sale and save money at the same time, LOL!

If you had a 2013-2015 with TomTom navigation, the digital speed would show on the navigate screen (generally, along with the speed limit of where you are). I have no idea about the 2016's.

If you had a 2013-2015 with TomTom navigation, the digital speed would show on the navigate screen (generally, along with the speed limit of where you are). I have no idea about the 2016's.

That's true and it does a good job of displaying your speed if you are not accelerating or braking. In those cases it displays your speed as it was about 2-3 seconds previously. Very inaccurate for up to the moment info.

I don't know of any "driver" who would want a digital speedometer. Analog speedometers (and tachometers) are the standard due to the fact that they convey rapidly changing information much more readily than digital (who wants to look at "88"???). The only way to prevent this issue is to delay the readout when it is changing rapidly (for example, under hard acceleration). But then the driver is viewing the past, not the present. The only reason a car maker would use digital in these applications would be to satisfy the stingy bean counters.

This is not true. High end super cars, as you could call them have gone digital because the old school tach and speedo's cannot keep up the information quick enough. Example is the Bugatti Veyron had to go to digital tach because the analog one couldn't keep up with how fast the rpm's climb.

Yes I forgot about the satnav speed reading, but I think the OP was wanting a larger read out?

I'll miss that with the 2016 car, in the UK we just get a road speed sign that changes colour, not much use to me as I have audible speed warnings set up.

Well when you are driving close to the speed limit on a highway? I am sure it wont be seconds of delay!! Also its easier to see especially when setting the cruise control? Don't expect to agree with you just because you think your point is "logical".
Whats with the attitude here??

Yes I forgot about the satnav speed reading, but I think the OP was wanting a larger read out?

I'll miss that with the 2016 car, in the UK we just get a road speed sign that changes colour, not much use to me as I have audible speed warnings set up.

Satnavs have a larger delay because the information is bounced back with the satellite!! I can agree to that but not some BS from MkeM!

you can get yourself a HUD off ebay that plugs into your OBDII port or the ultra gauge. it has a live digital display for speed.

That's true and it does a good job of displaying your speed if you are not accelerating or braking. In those cases it displays your speed as it was about 2-3 seconds previously. Very inaccurate for up to the moment info.

I mainly use that part of the screen to help with speed limit checks in unfamiliar areas. It's usually accurate but not always. I agree not ultra real-time. I still wish it was a Garmin as that has been what I have been accustomed to for portables units for the past 15 years. It would have been cool to load the Topo maps on it. I bring the Garmin along for off-road adventures.

I compared the TT speed reading against my portable Garmin, both read the same.

Satnavs have a larger delay because the information is bounced back with the satellite!!

It's a common misconception that GPS satellite data is bounced back. In reality, the satellite just transmits a very precise time signal. The GPS receiver in your car simply receives the signal as it arrives at the antenna and calculates your position/speed based on triangulation using the time difference in the arrival of signals from at least three satellites, usually more. Nothing is "bounced back" and any time delay is due to the fact that speed measurements require two position measurements of sufficient distance apart (actually sufficient time having elapsed between the two position measurements) to obtain an accurate speed. On top of this there is the time it takes the internal processor to compute the positions and thus the speed. Therefore a GPS receiver is only telling you your average speed between the last two position fixes. So it's not very good at telling you your speed while under acceleration but it has nothing to do with the time it takes the signal to reach your receiver (or "bounce back") because the satellite is constantly transmitting, if the satellites were in different galaxies the receiver could still calculate position fixes in microseconds even though the receiver was relying on signals generated hundreds of years previously.

I can agree to that but not some BS from MkeM!

What "BS" are you referring to?

Well when you are driving close to the speed limit on a highway? I am sure it wont be seconds of delay!! Also its easier to see especially when setting the cruise control? Don't expect to agree with you just because you think your point is "logical".

True, a digital speedometer is only challenged when the vehicles speed is changing rapidly, at steady state a digital readout can display your speed and it can be read with good precision. I still prefer an analog display though for the same reason I prefer analog watches, it's easier for me to understand the presented information quickly in a more visual manner.

Whats with the attitude here??

I have no idea what you're alluding to here and I just re-read the entire thread to see. If anyone copped an attitude here it appears it was you!

I mainly use that part of the screen to help with speed limit checks in unfamiliar areas. It's usually accurate but not always. I agree not ultra real-time.

My experience with a good number of GPS units is that if they are getting a good signal from enough satellites and those satellites create decent triangulation with which to compute position accurately, then the speed will be more accurate than most vehicles speedometers. The problem you allude to happens when reception is poor. In this case the computed speeds can be wildly inaccurate.

For example, I've seen a number of my GPS's report a top speed of (for example) 201 mph when I know the fastest I went was only about 140 (and in fact was not capable of exceeding 161 mph without a hill or a tailwind). This is always due to riding through an area where satellite reception was compromised. For instance a narrow canyon or even heavy tree canopy.

You can get an LED obd2 projector for ~$40 that can display speed, mpg rpms and other stuff (like a beep when a preset speed is reached) on the windshield. Daytime use is limited, but if anything it's just a neat and fun gadget to have. It also has a tach for people who don't and want one.

This one seems to have more features. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Back