New Tire Replacement Question

premio53

:
Mazda CX-5
My wife just busted two tires on our 2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWDand will have to replace all four of them. I am having it towed to the dealership but was wondering if anyone can tell me if any brand of tire is safe as long as they are the right size? I have read conflicting things on the internet. Thanks for any replies.

I've had really good luck with General tires on all my cars and trucks. The price is right, and the performance and lifespan runs with the best of them...

I actually don't foresee myself going to another brand as long as the quality and price stays low, and they continue to offer nonstop rebates.

Safe?

My wife just busted two tires on our 2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWDand will have to replace all four of them. I am having it towed to the dealership but was wondering if anyone can tell me if any brand of tire is safe as long as they are the right size? I have read conflicting things on the internet. Thanks for any replies.

Not sure what you mean "safe"?
If referring to speed rating, traction rating, Load rating etc, go to www,.tirerack.com and enter your CX-5. It will come up with about 15 selections, and you can compare them next to each other. Also listed is consumer ratings.

ALL TIRE COMPANIES HAVE DIFFERENT QUALITY LINES! DO NOT SELECT BY BRAND ALONE...

(link for you)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...kipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S

Your 2015 CX5 probably came with 19" Toyo A23's..A retail of about $270 EACH. I have also spoken with them, and they do have very knowledgeable reps that can answer most of your questions!

tirebuyer.com ..only 2 choices?

tirebuyer.com

Better and cheaper than tirerack.com I was a customer for years and years)

Thanks for the info Lewis...Just looked at them and only TWO choices showed up for the 2015 CX-5...INTERESTINGLY NITTO IS OWNED BY TOYO, AND THE PRICE IS GOOD FOR A V RATED TIRE!!!!

The Toyo A23 is also V rated, but at $270 ea., I am not a buyer!
Most reviews looked pretty good brand wise, and I would consider these when I am ready!!
They also offer another discount if you use an approved Installer...Their list did not suit me in my area though.

Also one of the 2 choices (Bridgestone Duelers were a few dollars MORE expensive than Tirerack.
Looks on the surface that Tirerack is probably a larger TIRE supplier, at least for our CX-5s.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Lewis...Just looked at them and only TWO choices showed up for the 2015 CX-5...INTERESTINGLY NITTO IS OWNED BY Toyo AND THE PRICE IS DECENT FOR A V RATED TIRE!!!!

The Nitto is a V rated tire...( The Toyo A23 is also V rated, but at $270 ea., I am not a buyer!)
Most review looked pretty good brand wise and I would consider these when I am ready!!

Also one of the 2 choices (Bridgestone Duelers were a few dollars MORE expensive than Tirerack.
Looks on the surface that Tirerack is probably a larger TIRE supplier, at least for our CX-5s.

Yea I just looked for the CX-5 as well.

I've been really impressed with tirebuyer.com because I get them delivered for FREE within 24 hours to the local AAA, and the install is cheaper than anywhere around by a good margin ($55). I don't know what I will do when the time comes on the CX-5, but it won't be the Toyo's...

I found a discount on 90,000 mile Continental tires (at Walmart) for $880 plus tax but after talking to the dealership I was told that to keep our preferred customer service we would have to buy our tires from them. I'll be getting four 60,000 mile Hankook tires for $870 plus tax but that also includes mounting, balancing and a courtesy check on the alignment.

What's so confusing is what is and is not allowed on AWD vehicles. We were told that half the tread is worn so we should replace all four tires but it wasn't necessary. I read on one site where just a different tread design caused the differential to explode in one AWD vehicle and other sites where there can be only a little difference in tread wear or else it will damage the differential. My wife drives the car so I'll just go with the flow and let the dealership take care of the maintenance and repairs. We probably should have gotten 2WHD thinking back on it.

Installation in Reno was about $80-$90 (and sometimes a TPMS chg to boot).
Free delivery would save me about $50+ per set though...

I can do much better here abouts! LOL. By the time you figure all the angles, Tirebuyer does seem a bit cheaper!!! :)

Always wondered about these approved shops and whether there is a kickback involved.
The one time I have used Tirerack, the 2 installers I checked with offered to "drop their shorts" if I would buy directly from them!!

I will still add Tirebuyer to my short list...Thanks again...

Hankook tires in my experience turn loud, annoying loud, as they age. Wouldn't be my choice.

Premio..My info on getting the EXACT same tires all around is the same as yours! Damn expensive if you damage ONE tire as I did once. Luckily they were not too worn and there is a Laser tire cutting shop here, that is able to make a brand new tire the same as slightly worn tires! Saves a lot os $$ but still a waste!

Installation in Reno was about $80-$90 (and sometimes a TPMS chg to boot).
Free delivery would save me about $50+ per set though...

I can do much better here abouts! LOL. By the time you figure all the angles, Tirebuyer does seem a bit cheaper!!! :)

Always wondered about these approved shops and whether there is a kickback involved.
The one time I have used Tirerack, the 2 installers I checked with offered to "drop their shorts" if I would buy directly from them!!

I will still add Tirebuyer to my short list...Thanks again...

No problem! At worst, you can use their price as leverage, but like you, I tried that with two shops and got laughed at...One shop was $200 higher and wouldn't budge. Oh well...

Yes...Reno is basically a NON competitive marketplace, but if you happen to catch them "right", deals can be had.
Hell, when I first moved to Reno...many moons ago, it was hard to find good PIZZA...LOL

We have Big O tire ...a rip off, Tires Plus is ok...Discount tires is also ok and there are a bunch of independents around town. I usually patronize Discount Tire and Tires Plus..All 3 of the above are within a mile of my house and I try to keep automobile service items pretty close to home..

I live on the outskirts or the City proper...

When I have to go the the MAZDA Dealer, a 6 mile hop becomes a 30 minute ordeal due to traffic, accidents etc... I have only had to make 2 trips to the dealer, since buying, in 7 months and that is fine with me! Would NEVER consider buying tires from the dealer!!

Falkens are ok with me, But I would have to check if they make the 19" tires for the GT.

BTW I unloaded Ebay years ago after an Ebay Identity theft ring almost got me ...

Even though Discount Tire is National, you still can get ripped locally if you are not careful! They just opened a NEW shop a Mile from me! :)
Pays to shop the sales, but I would bet that the 19" tire is a special order so I will get them online!!

Last edited:
I found a discount on 90,000 mile Continental tires (at Walmart) for $880 plus tax but after talking to the dealership I was told that to keep our preferred customer service we would have to buy our tires from them. ...
what does the preferred service give you ??

Falkens are ok with me, But I would have to check if they make the 19" tires for the GT.

BTW I unloaded Ebay years ago after an Ebay Identity theft ring almost got me ...

Even though Discount Tire is National, you still can get ripped locally if you are not careful! They just opened a NEW shop a Mile from me! :)
Pays to shop the sales, but I would bet that the 19" tire is a special order so I will get them online!!

Oh ok 19's for the CX-5. Your options are much more limited. If General Tires are available I'd consider those. They're highly rated in magazines and are cheap in price. I had great experience with Yokohoma YK580's on a BMW and on a Jetta in terms of all season grip. They should be in the $180 range or so per tire.

If you have not bought tires yet, have you tired the smaller indy shops. I've always gotten my tires from the small guy and saved a bundle. My local shop will undercut all them internet and large chain tire shops. As for continental Tires, I keep seeing people recommending them, which I love my pure contracts I have on the 545i, but after reading so many people getting them for the GT-19". I called Continental directly and was told they do not have a tire for the Mazda CX-5 GT with 19" even though they have the correct size they don't recommend them for our 19"

I only post this because the Toyo Tires only have a 300 Thread wear, plus I don't expect them to be that great in snow. I just bought my CX-5 GT last month so I figured I could squeak through this winter being careful, but will be looking for new shoes next fall.

They are working on a tire, but had no more information. If you go there site, it comes up with no matches if you punch them in. So believe what you want, but they do not carry a tire they recommend for the 19" GT. Just because a tire fits doesn't mean it should be on there.

Last edited:
If this is directed towards me?

If you have not bought tires yet, have you tired the smaller indy shops. I've always gotten my tires from the small guy and saved a bundle. My local shop will undercut all them internet and large chain tire shops. As for continental Tires, I keep seeing people recommending them, which I love my pure contracts I have on the 545i, but after reading so many people getting them for the GT-19". I called Continental directly and was told they do not have a tire for the Mazda CX-5 GT with 19" even though they have the correct size they don't recommend them for our 19"

I only post this because the Toyo Tires only have a 300 Thread wear, plus I don't expect them to be that great in snow. I just bought my CX-5 GT last month so I figured I could squeak through this winter being careful, but will be looking for new shoes next fall.

They are working on a tire, but had no more information. If you go there site, it comes up with no matches if you punch them in. So believe what you want, but they do not carry a tire they recommend for the 19" GT. Just because a tire fits doesn't mean it should be on there.

Those NITTO - NT850 Plus CUV...by Toyo at tirebuyer.com
have a speed rating of V and wear rating of 500 (I believe)
Yep, I knew about the Contis (the speed rating is only H I believe) and I will be just fine until later next year. Hopefully then there will be more choices for the GT!! I bought my GT last April and have not had them out in snow yep...but like you will be surprised if they are good in snow.

Would like to see Michelin and Perilli make something for us!

BTW I had Contis on my departed 2013 Subaru Outback (don't remember the model though) and found them lacking in handling, ride etc, and noisy!

Last edited:
Would like to see Michelin and Perilli make something for us!

BTW I had Contis on my departed 2013 Subaru Outback (don't remember the model though) and found them lacking in handling, ride etc, and noisy!

They make Michelin Pilot Sports for my Mazda6's 19 inch wheels. Sucks if they're not available for the CX-5 19's.

Back