Question about driver side window on a brand new vehicle

Look at another CX5. Only thing I can suggest without a better description or picture. Ed

My 2016 does this. I can push it down flush with the trim by hand though.

I can also grab that same section of the window, when it's halfway down, and move it back and forth (front to back, not in and out). Almost like it's come off the track or something. Will have to get the dealer to look at it next time I'm there.

My driver's side window looks like the one in your picture when I have it down all the way.

Another CX-5 owner had this problem on the Mazda Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1541413606071616/?ref=br_tf

I can't figure out how to link to the specific posts but here are the copied and pasted posts, you can search for them on the FB page using CTRL+F if you want to read the post's comments:

Deb Rumley Van Speybroeck
September 15
Taking my '16 back to the dealership, 3rd time. Had it there for the drivers front window, won't go all the way down, (towards the back of window, stays above the weather striping a smidgen). They told me some do that, some don't. I don't buy it, but I'll live with it. Since that initial appointment, I have a noise in the drivers front door area. Not all the time, only hear it in the city. They found issue and "fixed it" back in Aug. Didnt take too long until noise came back. Thought I remembered a post awhile ago about a noise in that area that someone posted?

September 28 at 4:24pm
Around the 16th I posted about my drivers window not going all the way down on my '16 CX5. Had it into the dealership twice, they gave me the run around, saying some are like that, if they tried to fix by replacing the door, chances are it would happen again, and/or the paint wouldn't match. After talking to you guys, I contacted Mazda and filed a complaint. Guess what...Mazda called Friday and wanted me to take the vehicle back to the dealership. So I have another appointment tomorrow morning at 7:30 am. I will keep you'll posted!

October 7 at 8:58am
So I wanted to give an update on my window. It is now fixed! According to the Mazda engineer, this issue was within "normal characteristics-guidelines". IMO, this is a Mazda flaw that they should address! Anyway, Mazda must have come down hard on the dealership, because they treated me like royalty (lol) by making my car top priority, and giving me a rental overnight smile emoticon So happy this is over

If you grew up in the fifties, that's where you rest your arm. Gotta be cool. That CX-5 would be uncomfortable. Now you know my age.

I was born in 1951, but never or rarely drive with a window down, or use the arm rest, I'm more interested in a comfortable seat, which the CX-5 has.

Mine goes down all the way "barely" on both driver door and passenger door. And the window does "rock" if it stays at the half way!

If this issue is within "normal characteristics-guidelines", I'd be very disappointed at Mazda for lack of precision and consistency on mechanical design and manufacturing!

I picked up my CX-5 new two days ago and just noticed this same issue with the drivers side window. They dealership is about an hour from my house and I don't have time to get there in the next week, should I be worried? I guess I could call today and say I'm having an issue and will be in on "X" day.

Have other owners had the same issues? how was it handled?

My 2016 Driver's side window is the same... doesn't go down completely... there's a small lip of the glass sticking up over the top of the weather stripping. Oddly enough, this is something I never noticed until after reading this thread... and I almost always drive with the window all the way down during the summer.

Having said that, after noticing this, I realized you can push the window down so that its flush with the top of the weather stripping. Whether my arm was doing this unbeknownst to me is certainly possible. But the glass seems to reset itself every time the window goes back up because it'll be sticking up over the weather stripping again the next time its lowered.

It seems rather odd to me that the Driver's side has more nuisances than the passenger (Driver's side mirror vibrates a bit, and now the window thingy).

I'm unsure if I'm going to worry about the window piece though.... while annoying, its largely trivial to me.

Last edited:
Back