What surprised you about the CX-5 after you bought it?

zoomie888

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
I consider myself quite the researcher, but still found myself surprised by a few things after a few weeks of owning the CX-5 (2015 GT). Curious if others have had these experiences or have others to share. I'll start the list. Perhaps this may help those still considering who haven't yet purchased their CX-5:

1. When the rear windows are down at least half way, there's this rubbling sound. Quite annoying.
2. The two cupholders are different depths.
3. Acceleration is more impressive the more and more I drive it. I drive a supercharged 4-cylinder now as my primary car (CX-5 is my wife's) and my last car before was a 2002 Toyota Rav4 which I swear was 0-60 in 13 seconds. So no to hard to impress me with acceleration I suppose, but I still feel the CX-5 is very zippy. Rav4 is close, but CX-5 seems quicker off the line.
4. Never noticed that weird slot left of the steering wheel until someone brought it up on one of the threads here. Not sure what that's for still.
5. It should be obvious that a white car is hard to keep clean, but it's still surprising to me how quickly it gets dirty. My current car is black and my last car was silver. Silver wins as far as hiding dirt and scratches.
6. I can't tell what radio station I'm on unless I go through all the menus. A little annoying, but I like the clean look of the dash and think it's worth it. Too many cars these days with way too many buttons.
7. The dead pedal is way comfortable. I love the size, location, height. It's perfect for me.
8. Memory seats I knew I didn't have, but didn't realize that they have it overseas (outside USA). I'm jealous.
9. Moonroof doesn't have one touch close. Only one touch open.
10. No lip on the rear windshield that catches the water and diverts it away. Every time I clean the rear windshield at the gas station, the whole back of the car gets all nasty and black. Someone teach me how to do it cleaner if there's a way. Maybe I'm just stupid and totally missing it. '
11. No lock on the glove box! Looks like there could be one. Outside the USA?
12. There's actually two USB ports in the front.
13. And a cigarette lighter adapter plug in the arm rest.
14. The rear cigarette lighter adapter in the cargo area can charge stuff even when the car is not on! Bingo. But gotta be careful about that.
15. The two little pockets on either side of the rear cargo come in handy. I forgot that they were there.
16. The older models don't have aluminum trim on the rear doors! Really?
17. I didn't realize the turn signals on the side mirrors were knew to 2016. Hadn't really noticed it was lacking on the 2015 and earlier models.
18. The adaptive cruise control or whatever you call it is plain awesome!
19. Dual climate control can be turned off so it's easier to change both sides at the same time.
20. I swear there was a MAX setting for the air conditioning, but I'm blind. Can't find it again.
21. That sensor thing or whatever it is called under the rear view mirror on the windshield is huge! But totally not that obvious from the driver position.
22. Roof rack is silver - not black. Only the OEM crossbars are black.
23. Didn't even notice that the GT model has different rims.
24. I knew we had LED headlights, but didn't realize the foglights are LED on the 2016 model too.

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later. Feel free to comment and/or add to the list. Please continue with number 25 so others joining the thread can reference the number when making their comments if they want to.

-The gas mileage was less than sticker the way I drive. I'm used to a vehicle at least meeting sticker, often exceeding, the way I drive. I cannot meet sticker in city or on the freeway. It's 1-2mpg short on both.
-Everything else has been good.

My silver car is IMO grey, hopefully the new car will be silver, its good a different name now, sonic silver I think.
I'm on my forth silver car now, boring I know but having had a few dark cars including black I know what colours suit me.

- The 2016 GT comes with adaptive headlights and SCBS (is this even useful?) standard. I didn't realize this when I bought it, I thought that required an additional package like in the 2015... Score!
- You can set the doors to lock automatically when you walk away from the car with the fob in your pocket.
- Gas mileage for me so far is slightly better than my 2010 Mazda 3 2.5 6MT was. I was expecting it to be a little worse but pleasantly surprised.
- The infotainment system runs Linux, and is surprisingly hackable. The car even has wifi that just needs to be enabled.

6. I can't tell what radio station I'm on unless I go through all the menus.
When I listen to local radio I see the radio station id, most times the artist name, and name of song.
default_idontknow.gif

#4: Probably just cheaper to leave the old space there. ('13-'15 GPS module and SD card reader)

#8: Maybe in '17?

#16: Added aftermarket. Looks stock now

#17: The same design as '16s was added to '15s on model built after 4/1/2014. Different look of signal LEDs before that date.

#21: Add a dashcam and then a HOV carpool tag up there as well and it really fills it in :)

#24: Added aftermarket LED

How do u enable the WIFI ?

- The 2016 GT comes with adaptive headlights and SCBS (is this even useful?) standard. I didn't realize this when I bought it, I thought that required an additional package like in the 2015... Score!
- You can set the doors to lock automatically when you walk away from the car with the fob in your pocket.
- Gas mileage for me so far is slightly better than my 2010 Mazda 3 2.5 6MT was. I was expecting it to be a little worse but pleasantly surprised.
- The infotainment system runs Linux, and is surprisingly hackable. The car even has wifi that just needs to be enabled.

the gas mileage has been spot on to what was advertised, ~29 mpg with mixed driving. i am actually averaging slightly over 30 mpg. i have never had a car in the past where the advertised mpg was accurate.

I was in shock the first time I tried to close the sunroof and realized it wasn't 1-touch close. I really don't care, but it was very surprising the first time.
I am also surprised that there is no marking on the side mirror control knob for the side mirror defrosters.
One of the biggest surprises came in winter when I learned that the SCBS module behind the rearview mirror prevents the windshield defroster from warming up that area. It may not seem like a big deal at first, but the location of that ice build-up causes the windshield wipers to streak directly in the driver's field of vision. That spot will refreeze constantly without deicer.

Biggest surprise for me? The performance/MPG ratio.

Many of the auto critics were calling the 2.0L engine "under-powered". I had test driven it before purchase and knew it had enough power for me but it wasn't until I had put a few thousand miles on it that I realized just how well it went, even fully loaded up a mountain pass. And I didn't expect to get better than EPA HWY MPG number for my AVERAGE MPG (including city driving, off-road driving and winter trips to the ski area).

Navigation is the major disappointment.

Biggest surprise for me? The performance/MPG ratio.

Many of the auto critics were calling the 2.0L engine "under-powered". I had test driven it before purchase and knew it had enough power for me but it wasn't until I had put a few thousand miles on it that I realized just how well it went, even fully loaded up a mountain pass. And I didn't expect to get better than EPA HWY MPG number for my AVERAGE MPG (including city driving, off-road driving and winter trips to the ski area).

No active traffic warnings or overlays.
I am hoping some one will create a hack that will overlay traffic issues.
Was told it is in the 2015's. It's a cheap money thing for Mazda pencil pushers. Buying a Tom tom isn't an answer.

4. Never noticed that weird slot left of the steering wheel until someone brought it up on one of the threads here. Not sure what that's for still.
Legacy from previous model use
6. I can't tell what radio station I'm on unless I go through all the menus. A little annoying, but I like the clean look of the dash and think it's worth it. Too many cars these days with way too many buttons.
Try the Radio button on console - should switch it to current station, song details etc
20. I swear there was a MAX setting for the air conditioning, but I'm blind. Can't find it again.
left side dash controls, full left of temp settings (sorry the cx-5 is out zooming without me, no pics)
22. Roof rack is silver - not black. Only the OEM crossbars are black.
Yeah, we repeatedly mentioned black rails - like the cx-9 - dealer said nothing until delivery - cx-5 only comes with silver - search forums, some owners have used plasti-dip or paint - looks awesome in black, matching other trim

Last edited:
No active traffic warnings or overlays.
I am hoping some one will create a hack that will overlay traffic issues.
Was told it is in the 2015's. It's a cheap money thing for Mazda pencil pushers. Buying a Tom tom isn't an answer.

I love having the real-time traffic updates on my 2015! I didn't even know it had this feature until the first time I was re-routed around an accident. It is safer than checking the MDOT app while driving to see the current crashes. The alert for red light & speed cameras was also a surprise and it is helpful if I need to drive in Toledo.

Here's my rather long gripe list.

(1) Accelerator pedal is 'organ type' and brake pedal is 'suspended'. Also, both are at different levels. This means I have to lift and shift my foot to switch between the pedals instead of pivoting it on the heel.
(2) The rear seat headrests block the rear view. Easily fixed by purchasing non-US spec headrest from here.
(3) Outside temperature reading is always higher by at least 5 degrees. Usually by 10 degrees. Never had this problem in previous car.
(4) If I am listening to radio and if I have Google Maps set on my phone (which is connected via bluetooth to the car), the navigation alerts won't be played. This means I can't use Radio + Google Maps at the same time.
(5) The lumbar support doesn't extend long enough
(6) Paint is ridiculously thin and Soul Red is a b**** to match
(7) MPG is good, but plummets when speed exceeds 60mph
(8) No rear a/c vents
(9) Bose sound system is underwhelming at best
(10 ) Chrome trim around a/c vent near the driver seat is always reflected on the driver side mirror. Poor design choice.
(11) Still haven't gotten used to that weird shaped arm rest
(12) No dedicated clock display

(1) Accelerator pedal is 'organ type' and brake pedal is 'suspended'. Also, both are at different levels. This means I have to lift and shift my foot to switch between the pedals instead of pivoting it on the heel.

Is this an unusual setup? I know that VW and Audis I've driven have had the pedals set up the same way. Surely this is something you would have noticed during the test drive.

(2) The rear seat headrests block the rear view.

(9) Bose sound system is underwhelming at best

(10 ) Chrome trim around a/c vent near the driver seat is always reflected on the driver side mirror. Poor design choice.

Did you buy without test driving first? I would think the above items would be the kind of thing you would discover on even a short test drive.

I've never noticed anything special/different about the accelerator/brake controls, they feel very natural to me.

Did you buy without test driving first? I would think the above items would be the kind of thing you would discover on even a short test drive.

I've never noticed anything special/different about the accelerator/brake controls, they feel very natural to me.

Of course I did. To rephrase, these things bother me more than I thought they would when I made the purchase.

Is this an unusual setup? I know that VW and Audis I've driven have had the pedals set up the same way. Surely this is something you would have noticed during the test drive.

I came to know recently (from this forum) they do this intentionally for safety purposes to prevent accidentally pressing one pedal instead of the other.

That's when I realized I have the same setup (difference in levels, not the organ pedal) in my other car as well.

The point here is I'm able to pivot my foot on the heel to switch between the pedals in all those other cars, but can't do that in CX-5. Probably because my foot is small (I'm 5'5") and probably because of the combination of different levels and organ type pedal.

Back