FIlter observations

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I purchased a cabin and engine OEM filter and decided to change them at the 2 year time but, with only 18K miles. The cabin filter was quite dirty with a few small leaves but, still quite serviceable, The engine filter looked hardly used as expected as the factory change interval is 36 months or ?? miles. I changed both filters and saved the old ones "just in case." Ed

I need to do my cabin filter too with winter coming. Ed, do you suppose using an air compressor on the engine filter will do much if it looks to be in ok shape?

I changed my cabin at 2.5 years and it was dirty with leaves and pollen. I park outside. Must be easy for dust to settle on it.

I need to do my cabin filter too with winter coming. Ed, do you suppose using an air compressor on the engine filter will do much if it looks to be in ok shape?

Using an air compressor blast of air on the air filter can sometimes pierce holes in the filter. Especially on a K&N style filter.

I was taught to use the "drop" technique in cases where I had a flat panel filter and I wanted to be frugal. Basically you let the filter drop onto its input side, from a ~3ft height, so that it lands flatly, and with a nice firm slap. If you do this on a paper you can verify the drop out contents.

Here is a little video on both filters from Motorweek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdiEoBPkY_8

Last edited:
I do not use compressed air to try to clean a filter but, tap it firmly on a hard surface to remove obvious dirt. Then hold it up to a light source. If you see can see a good amount of light through the filter you are probably good to go longer. My way. Ed

I purchased a cabin and engine OEM filter and decided to change them at the 2 year time but, with only 18K miles. The cabin filter was quite dirty with a few small leaves but, still quite serviceable, The engine filter looked hardly used as expected as the factory change interval is 36 months or ?? miles. I changed both filters and saved the old ones "just in case." Ed

I change my cabin filters in both cx-5s we have every year. It always looks dirty.

Just changed both air filters too, 25K and 26K - both were very dirty. No need to wait until later in this case.

Back