Good wax routine for a titanium flash paint job?

:
2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
So I want to wax my new cx-5 before the weather turns to crap. I want to do a proper job too and I'm willing to spend more for the best products and tools. So, what sort of wax routine do you guys do - wash, prep and wax. What products do you use? What products would you recommend for the beautiful titanium flash color? Also, I've always used the normal applicators/microfiber towels/chamois you can get at the chain auto supply stores. I'm I hurting my paint by not ordering some high-end supplies online?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm especially interested in a good routine and products for my cars color (if that even matters).

Once again I'm willing to shell out for top end products and put in all the time needed to do a proper job (oh the joys of a good-paying job and not having children hahaha)

For washing, you'll want to use a car wash soap or a very mild liquid soap alternative. This will reduce soap residue on the car after washing. More importantly, it'll help preserve the wax or sealant during your maintenance washes between applications of wax/sealant. Harsher soaps, like dish-washing liquid, aren't necessarily harmful to your paint, but they can strip the wax or sealant, which defeats the purpose. Two-bucket washing is best practice, and you'll want a microfiber wash mitt or pad, and microfiber drying towels.

Prepping depends on the condition of the paint. Whether you need to compound, polish, clay, or do nothing all hinges on what the paint looks like. For brand new paint, I would probably only do a clay bar scrub to remove paint irregularities and overspray. Use soapy water or detailing spray as lubricant with the clay. You can then use a polish on selected areas if needed due to issues from the transportation and handling of the car up to delivery. There's no need to do anything more aggressive on brand new paint, since you'll just be scrubbing into the clearcoat anyway.

Whether you finish with wax or liquid sealant is a matter of personal preference. There's many opinions about what works best, from new-fangled polymer sealants to old-fashioned carnuba wax. Do a little google research on the alternatives, pick one, and if you're happy with the look that's really all that matters.

As for the products I use and am happy with:
Wash: Zaino Show Car Wash or Meguiar's Gold Class
Clay: any
Polish: Zaino Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Touch-Ups: Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer or Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer
Tires: Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss or Turtle Wax T-12KT Jet Black Endura-Shine
Plastics/Vinyl: Lexol 1215 Vinylex (others swear by Gold Eagle 303)
Windows: Stoner 91164 Invisible Glass Cleaner, Rain-X
Leather: Zaino Z-10 Leather in a Bottle

You can get 36 decent-quality microfiber towels on Amazon for $18 bucks. They're small, but you have so many that you won't hesitate to change them out during the wash/dry/polish/etc. This is a good thing, because it means you'll be working with clean towels more often. Amazon's also pretty good for any larger towels, wash mitts, tire brushes, etc.

I won't make a recommendation about wax or sealant because opinions vary widely. I've used both, and I like both. Neither is wrong.

Thank you so much! I don't use dish soap anyway except for soaking my dirty microfiber before washing. I need to find a really good lint-free microfiber. any suggestions for that?

I'll probably polish the roof. I think the dealer must have run it through a pretty brutal box washer because it's already showing very slight spirals. Granted you'd never notice unless you got up close and the light hit it at the right angle... But still I know they're there. And I don't want them getting any worse either.

I put meguiars gel tire shine product on after my last wash. Looks beautiful!

And has anyone tried stoners trim product? I love their glass cleaner and was wondering if it's of the same quality.

Thanks again for the info! Cleaning and detailing my car is kind of my weird way of relaxing

The towels I just bought are https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). They're not high-end luxury towels, but they are about 300 GSM which is very good for the price. And with so many, I don't hesitate to throw them into the dirty pile and grab a clean one anytime. I also don't feel bad using them on really dirty areas like wheel wells, engine compartment, and undercarriage because at $0.50/each they're basically disposable.

For even higher quality, or larger sizes, I know that Chemical Guys has a number of microfiber towels listed on Amazon that look pretty nice.

Berner had some good suggestions in there. I'm just going to add a few of my practices and products I use. There's also worlds of information out there about how to properly wash a car, clay a car, polish a car etc. Some good forums for detail is autopia.org and meguiars online forum. If you like washing videos, Ammo NYC on youtube has great videos on how to care for you car, everything from simple washes to removing emblems and paint repair. But here's what I do with my 2016 Meteor Grey GT:

2 bucket wash system: One wash bucket with Car Shampoo (Megs Gold glass or DuraGloss 901/902) the other bucket with plain water for rinsing the wash mitt out. I also recommend getting some grit guards for the bottom of the buckets, they help trap all the dirt and grit in the bottom so they don't get back onto the mit.

A good microfiber, Chenille, or lambswool wash mitt. I use the Meguiars Microfiber wash mitt. Just make sure they are clean and that you never lay them on the gound.

Wash the Car from the top to bottom, Starting at the roof, then top part of sides and hood, top part of doors, bottom part of doors, front bumper and fenders, Rear. Rinsing the wash mitt in the rinse bucket after each step, the grit guards are great for rubbing the wash mitt against to help clean them.

Dry with a good quality microfiber towel, never a water blade or terry towel, even most leather chamois are frowned apon now. I like the Megs water magnet waffle weave and the big thick black and grey one from walmart. They both do a good job and hold a lot of water.

I use Megs Hotwheels on the wheels with a Wheel woolie or a scrub stick that I have. It's a covered flexible stick about 16" long I found it on amazon. Dry the wheels with a different small microfiber towel.

As far as microfiber towels go I mostly use the ones from Costco or Sams Club, they are cheap and do the job and I haven't seen them scratch yet. They are similar quality to ones Berner posted from amazon.

I use Meguiars Endurance tire shine on the tires with Carrand tire wipes, they can be found at walmart as well.

As far as wax go I have decent collection of waxes and sealants both synthetic and Carnauba. For the CX-5 I prefer the synthetic waxes, specifically the Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax, liquid, not paste, as the liquid wax won't leave white residue on the plastic trim that circles the car. Carnauba wax will leave residue. The ultimate liquid wax really impressed me with it's deep shine and ease of application, it really was a wipe on wipe off affair. I actually coated the whole car before wiping any panel and it all came off with ease. Carnauba still gives the best shine but they are harder to put on and don't last as long. A popular practice is to do a synthetic like Ultimate liquid followed by a coat of carnauba like Gold Class or something.

I like the meguiars Ultimate line of product, they are easy to use, has great results and are available over the counter at most places. They've really impresses me.

I use the ultimate compound and polish when polishing with a DA polisher, very similar results to 105/205 combo.

For the windows I prefer Trico view window treatment, it's a bit more work to put on but lasts almost 4 times longer then rain-x. Trico view is the same as Aquapel, trico bought aquapel a while back. I've had it on my windows since I bought the car in March and water still beads and rolls off at speeds higher then about 20mph.

Once again you guys are amazing with the info. I love meguiars and have always used them in the past but I've noticed different makes of cars have different quirks. I've read all the forums and watch all the YouTube vids - I just wanted the final bit of info to come with other cx-5 owners. This is my first Mazda and Id say it's now the second favorite car I have ever owned. The winner (don't judge) is my 99 ford contour SVT which was hands down one of coolest cars ford has ever made (although the mechanical problems were ridiculous).

I'll probably start another thread once I put together my first wax game plan.

Thanks again guys for all the info!

Oh I forgot to say that I generally wax 2-3 times per year with the ultimate wax, it last pretty long and I use Meg ultimate quick wax for quick touch up waxes after every 2-3 car washes depending on how long it's been and how dirty the car got. The quick wax helps the regular wax last longer as well.

Yeah I think I still have a thing of meguiars quik spray wax but I should probably invest in a new bottle. I probably do heavy duty full-blown waxings every 2-3 months - or at least that's what I've done with all my previous non-beater cars. I bought an 86 Toyota minivan/party-mobile in high school which I'm pretty sure I never even washed haha

So I'm thinking this will be my game plan... I know it might sound excessive but once again... Winter is coming and I have a brand new paint job to protect:

1. Meguiars gold class wash (I'm shelving my wash&wax soap because I'm putting on a fresh coat of the real stuff)
2. Meguiars polish on roof. I'm already noticing some fine swirling thanks to an irresponsible dealership...
3. Meguiars Ultimate wax
4. Meguiars M26 carnbuara - I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any cleaners (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I'll use it to seal in the ultimate wax

Tires - Meguiars wheel cleaner and endurance gel for the tires. I've used the endurance gel before and I've always been satisfied with it

Windows - stoners for cleaning followed by aquapel

Trim/plastic - stlll not sure but probably use 303. I might also test out the stoners trim shine on the sides or maybe the back. Just curious to see if it's as good as their glass products. I think the 303 offers UV protection though... So many decisions!

Yeah I think I still have a thing of meguiars quik spray wax but I should probably invest in a new bottle. I probably do heavy duty full-blown waxings every 2-3 months - or at least that's what I've done with all my previous non-beater cars. I bought an 86 Toyota minivan/party-mobile in high school which I'm pretty sure I never even washed haha

So I'm thinking this will be my game plan... I know it might sound excessive but once again... Winter is coming and I have a brand new paint job to protect:

1. Meguiars gold class wash (I'm shelving my wash&wax soap because I'm putting on a fresh coat of the real stuff)
2. Meguiars polish on roof. I'm already noticing some fine swirling thanks to an irresponsible dealership...
3. Meguiars Ultimate wax
4. Meguiars M26 carnbuara - I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any cleaners (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I'll use it to seal in the ultimate wax

Tires - Meguiars wheel cleaner and endurance gel for the tires. I've used the endurance gel before and I've always been satisfied with it

Windows - stoners for cleaning followed by aquapel

Trim/plastic - stlll not sure but probably use 303. I might also test out the stoners trim shine on the sides or maybe the back. Just curious to see if it's as good as their glass products. I think the 303 offers UV protection though... So many decisions!

M26 is a blend of Carnauba and polymers. Not a bad wax but I think a better choice would be Megs Gold glass Carnauba wax on top if you really want to go that route. just be carful around the trim, or use painters tape to tape of the trim so you don't get wax on it and turn it white. I actually use the Ultimate liquid wax right on all of the trim to protect it. It leaves no residue and has a nice sheen to it when I buff it off with a microfiber. For the ultimate wax be sure to get the liquid and not the paste, the stuff they add to make it a paste may leave residue on the trim. 303 is great stuff fro the trim, I use it inside and out. You may have a hard time finding aquapel anymore as they were bought by trico, but the trico view glass treatment is the exact same stuff.
If you live anywhere near a Costco, they usually have the megs gold class wash in stock for a great price, I think my last gallon was about $17. Their Kirkland microfibers are decent as well.

Aquapel is hard to find but I found a buy one get one free deal online which is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I always put painters tape over my trim or the edges of trim when waxing but that's good to know about meguiars ultimate!

now I'm kicking myself for not buying a pack of microfibers at Costco the offer day... I even had them in my hands but a certain woman who will go nameless told me I had enough already...(blah)

now I'm kicking myself for not buying a pack of microfibers at Costco the offer day... I even had them in my hands but a certain woman who will go nameless told me I had enough already...(blah)

Now that's funny because I just had a pack of Costco microfiber in my hands last week but my wife said I had enough. But she was right, when I got home I saw the open bundle and one unopened bundle-likely a five year supply.

Now that's funny because I just had a pack of Costco microfiber in my hands last week but my wife said I had enough. But she was right, when I got home I saw the open bundle and one unopened bundle-likely a five year supply.

Hahaha my gf was right too but I'll never admit it to her! a year or so ago she accidentally mixed my dirty microfibers with regular laundry. hot water, hot drying, the fancy fragrant detergent she likes, dryer sheets.... My poor microfibers were destroyed. They got demoted to household cleaning status. I always try to play this card but the conversation usually goes:

Me: well I need more in case you ruin them again like you did that one time
Her: well maybe you should do your own laundry
Me: I use them when I'm cleaning your car too! I contribute in other ways so really we both benefit!
Her: (annoyed stare)
Me: and to be fair I always clean and wash my microfibers
Her: you'll pamper and take care of your rags like they're your children but you would wear the same pair of jeans every day for a month straight if I didn't wash them for you
Me: Rags?! RAGS?! you dried them on high with normal bath towels and used dryer sheets. Thank god those "rags" weren't children because you'd be in prison for child abuse
Her: (annoyed stare)

Women just don't get it. We have a great relationship but microfiber towels are a sore subject. It started a couple years ago when she saw me throw away a towel after i accidentally dropped it in bark dust.

Same boat as you Dan!!! I will never understand spending nearly $200 on a hair cut and color at the salon and she'll never understand the nuances of car care. A lot of my conversation about buying car stuff goes like this:

Me: hey, honey, I bought a new oil filter wrench
Her: well how much did that cost? (Drops head, looks thru top of her eyes)
Me: well, I was tired of the cheap ones breaking so I got a good one, it was $30.
Her: $30 bucks for an oil filter thingy!!! I thought you already had one of those?
Me: I told you, the old one broke.
Her: well did you really need the $30 one? Would one like the one you had have worked?
Me: the cheap ones break all the time, this is actually cheaper in the long run, buy quality, buy it for life!
Her: whatever you just have to spend money on your cars and motorcycle.
Me: don't give me that, you have 15 purses already but you just a bought a new coach one last week!
Her: that's not the same, I needed that purse, I didn't have one, that color/size/style!

Hahahahaha seriously! She spent 80 bucks on a new bra the other day but I get chewed out for ordering a $25 license plate frame on Amazon. Hell it took me months just to get the green light to buy a new high-quality set of socket wrenches. And I probably spend just as much time on her car as I do on mine. When we first started dating I had to beg her not to take it to a box car wash or some oil change store where they charge 70 bucks and try to get her to spend $30 on "special" fuel additives or 20 bucks to slap on some rain-x or buy new overpriced genetic air filters or windshield wipers every every freaking visit.. Im slowly training her but it's an unending battle.

Of course in her defense her new bra looks great hahaha

Never knock a women for buying lingerie or you'll never see her in it!

What was the question? (dunno)

Anyway, I don't care too much about her buying lingerie just so she doesn't wear it. (laugh)

Back