Anyone has the Mazda OEM hitch?

pdlpsher

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech & I-Active Sense
Do you like it? It seems like everyone is getting the Curt unit. I will be getting a 50% off coupon on Mazda accessories. So a Mazda OEM hitch will cost me $160 vs. $130 on a Curt hitch. The OEM hitch receiver seems a bit shorter than the Curt. I found plenty of positive comments on the Curt however no one seems to own an OEM hitch except on the Edmunds long-term CX-5. Thanks.

ps I find it odd that the OEM hitch is listed as a class 1 hitch

there's a few reasons few people have the oem hitch. First it's rather expensive compared to aftermarket like curt and hidden hitch. Second, in order to install the oem hitch, the rear bumper needs to be cut, which a lot of people don't like the idea off.

The Curt hitch does stick out further than th OE unit. But there's been many a rear bumper valance butchered by installers that don't have the skill to properly cut it as part of the install. I can't offhand remember why Mazda lists it as a class I hitch, but I'm sure it's really a class II, which is all they can legally sell for the CX-5.

The Curt hitch does stick out further than th OE unit. But there's been many a rear bumper valance butchered by installers that don't have the skill to properly cut it as part of the install. I can't offhand remember why Mazda lists it as a class I hitch, but I'm sure it's really a class II, which is all they can legally sell for the CX-5.

Does the Mazda hitch only have a 1 1/4 inch receiver opening?

I had a class 3 (2" receiver) installed by my dealer. Payed way too much, but I did not feel like fighting with a complex sounding wiring job. If I had to do it again, I would certainly go with the Curt hitch.

BTW, I feel I lucked out with the hitch, since it was installed with additional cross members/more mounting point than what I saw with the Curt hitch images, and my rear bumper did not get cut for installation... I'm not sure if the smaller hitch would have resulted in the same condition.

My advice is to ask your dealer about the installation, if you're concerned by the install. Have them show you the hitch, and explain the process. You'll avoid all kinds of buyers remorse later on. Also, see if the class three is an option for the coupon. Many on this forum favor this class hitch for the CX-5. This will allow you more accessory options later on, which is why I went with this class hitch.

Thanks guys. Now this is weird. Below is a picture of the OEM hitch from the Edmund's long-term CX-5. The mounting holes are to the side as opposed to the top.

ximm

Curt hitch
C12080_o_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Now this is weird. Below is a picture of the OEM hitch from the Edmund's long-term CX-5. The mounting holes are to the side as opposed to the top.
What's weird about it? It's two different manufacturers' designs for the same vehicle. Who said they have to be the same? There are box-shaped frame members at the rear of the vehicle that the mounting plates attach to. One attaches to the side of the box section, the other to the bottom. End result is the same.

What's weird about it? It's two different manufacturers' designs for the same vehicle. Who said they have to be the same? There are box-shaped frame members at the rear of the vehicle that the mounting plates attach to. One attaches to the side of the box section, the other to the bottom. End result is the same.

Why doesn't Curt use the same holes as the OEM unit? This would avoid the hassle of drilling four holes.

To answer the OP's question, I have the OEM hitch, installed by the dealer. They did have to cut a bit out of the bumper, but they did a nice job. I don't need to use it that much, but when I do it works fine. I have a Mazda emblem hitch cover that I leave on it most of the time - the hole in the bumper is not noticeable. It is Class II, not Class I.

Mazda hitch specs looks Class I to me. Not sure what the tongue weight capacity of the Mazda hitch is...but the tongue weight capacity of the Hidden Hitch I installed is 525 lbs. The Mazda unit is more than enough for bicycle racks and such but I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it for regular trailer towing.

1 1/4 inch receiver with max 2K pound towing capacity

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5trailerhitch.pdf

Difference between Class I and II
"Class I and Class II hitches both have a 1-1/4 inch receiver opening. The difference is that a Class I hitch has a lower tongue weight rating, usually 200 pounds and a lower towing rating, usually 2,000 pounds. A Class II hitch usually has a tongue weight rating of 350 pounds and a towing rating of 3,500 pounds. The only other difference is that accessories designed for Class II only hitches will not fit in a Class I Hitch. Class I accessories will work in the Class II hitch.

I would recommend the Class II hitch over the Class I hitch anytime it is available due to the increased capacity and safety it will provide. You will also have a much wider variety of accessories to choose from that will work in the hitch. You will still need to make sure that any accessories, and the items carried or towed on them, fall within the vehicle tow and tongue ratings listed in the owners manual.
expert reply by: Bob G
http://www.etrailer.com/question-7812.html

To answer the OP's question, I have the OEM hitch, installed by the dealer. They did have to cut a bit out of the bumper, but they did a nice job. I don't need to use it that much, but when I do it works fine. I have a Mazda emblem hitch cover that I leave on it most of the time - the hole in the bumper is not noticeable. It is Class II, not Class I.
Thanks. How big is the hole and is the hole confined to the part of the bumper that is parallel to the ground?

The holes are already in the frame box sections. No drilling required for either hitch.

I did look under the car and saw two large holes about 2" apart. I didn't find another hole further away. I will try to find more info on the Curt unit. Thanks.

Thanks. How big is the hole and is the hole confined to the part of the bumper that is parallel to the ground?

With the hitch cover in place:

Without the hitch cover (sorry it's blurry, but I don't want to go out and retake it!):

I don't have any shots from similar perspective but here is one with hit draw bar installed on mine.

attachment.php

aeed19d542895f66ba0f87a7a078105e.jpg

Hidden hitch and Draw-tite have both recently updated the design of there hitches for the CX-5. They both sit a bit more tucked in then the Curt but do not need to have the bumper cut like the OEM hitch. Check them out on www.etrailer.com.

Back