When do you gas up your CX-5

pdlpsher

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech & I-Active Sense
I'm still on my first tank of gas. According to Edmunds when the remaining range shows 0 mile it takes 13.1 gallons. I'm someone who loves to wait until the last moment before gassing up. Will I be cutting too close if I wait until the remaining range shows 0 mile? How many gallons is your typical fuel up? On my 2008 Outback 3.0 I usually take in 15 gallons on a tank size of 16.9 gallons.

I fill up at the 3/4 mark. Takes about 12 gallons. Don't like to go below that and risk sucking up some muck (that's a technical term).

My general rule of thumb is when it reads "0 miles to empty" it's still got,50 miles in the tank. That's not to say I wait that long to fill it though. But you certainly can if you like.

My general rule of thumb is when it reads "0 miles to empty" it's still got,50 miles in the tank. That's not to say I wait that long to fill it though. But you certainly can if you like.
Hahaha... That rule would have left you stranded with a Jeep Liberty... That sucker only gave my wife approx. 17 miles after the first warning. But generally, I have the same philosophy.

There is a thread somewhere on this forum where someone ran their CX-5 bone dry just to find out the answer to this question, he got a lot of interesting responses from his efforts. But the OP can rest assured he won't get standed after hitting zero, since the car should have about 2 gallons left to empty... Unless you be found himself in one of these spots:
http://listosaur.com/travel/top-10-remote-areas-in-the-contiguous-united-states/

Thanks guys. I really wish the CX-5 came with a 19 gallon tank(yes) I will probably gas up with a range showing between 0 and 30.

Thanks guys. I really wish the CX-5 came with a 19 gallon tank(yes) I will probably gas up with a range showing between 0 and 30.

I've driven up to 35 or 40 miles past "0 miles to empty" a number of times without so much as a sputter. My Fuelly.com summer statistics show I've averaged 403 miles/tank with one tank returning 517 miles (yet it only took 13.5 gallons).

Even though I regularly drive past "empty" the most fuel it's ever taken was 13.9 gallons (indicating it still had around 1.4 gallons left). Keep in mind the AWD versions have two separate fuel measuring devices in opposite areas off the tank while the FWD models only have one. The two senders in the AWD models probably has to do with the shape of the tank.

I've driven up to 35 or 40 miles past "0 miles to empty" a number of times without so much as a sputter. My Fuelly.com summer statistics show I've averaged 403 miles/tank with one tank returning 517 miles (yet it only took 13.5 gallons).

Holy crap that's like 38 miles to the gallon! I'm impressed.

For the record I usually fill up when I have between 1/4 and half a tank left. The last thing you want to do is head into the mountains with half a tank of gas.

I generally follow Mazdas recommendation of refilling at 1/4 tank but, not less than 1/8 tank. Ed

Drive to range ZERO then fill up soon afterwards.

I get about 540 miles each tank.

Capacity is 58 litres, most I have got in is 52 litres which leave 6 litres in the tank.

Fuel capacity differs on model of CX5, 2WD, AWD, Diesel all have different capacities.

14.8 vs. 15.3 US gallons. AWD and DIESEL have the larger tanks.

Last edited:
The only time when I will stop for gas when I still have more than half a tank left is when I'm already at a Costco. I cannot find a single gas station selling gas cheaper than Costco here in Colorado.

The only time when I will stop for gas when I still have more than half a tank left is when I'm already at a Costco. I cannot find a single gas station selling gas cheaper than Costco here in Colorado.

Looking as gasbuddy.com, currently my local Costco is 60c/gallon cheaper than other gas stations (2.69 vs 3.29). The difference is usually smaller, but it's always at least 20c cheaper at costco.

The only problem with their low price is that it's not always on the way..
How many miles out of my way does it makes sense to drive to save 60c/gallon?
what about 30c/gallon?

The only problem with their low price is that it's not always on the way..
How many miles out of my way does it makes sense to drive to save 60c/gallon?
what about 30c/gallon?

That's why I believe a larger gas tank has many advantages. It allows one to gas up at their favorite station without driving additional miles. Let's say I'm at Costco for grocery shopping once a week. Having a larger tank will allow me to fuel up at Costco more often than if I had a smaller tank. In comparison the Subaru Outback has a huge 18.5 gal. tank. However I also understand a large tank has implication on fuel mileage.

If the overall Mazda design package allowed a slightly larger tank then OK. If however; a larger tank lowers the safety level then NO. A much larger tank increases weight (tank + fuel) which effects millage. I think the tank size is just fine as is. Ed

That's why I believe a larger gas tank has many advantages. It allows one to gas up at their favorite station without driving additional miles. Let's say I'm at Costco for grocery shopping once a week. Having a larger tank will allow me to fuel up at Costco more often than if I had a smaller tank. In comparison the Subaru Outback has a huge 18.5 gal. tank. However I also understand a large tank has implication on fuel mileage.

True. A smaller fuel tank is easier to place in a car and it's way for automakers to shave some "curb weight".

If the overall Mazda design package allowed a slightly larger tank then OK. If however; a larger tank lowers the safety level then NO. A much larger tank increases weight (tank + fuel) which effects millage. I think the tank size is just fine as is. Ed

It won't affect mileage hardly any at all to add 5 gallons. Further, it would balance the vehicle better, in the process. As to safety, well, that's a question Mazda's engineers only know the answer to, unless they've shared it. I'd rather a larger tank. This thing goes no further than my HEMI powered Jeep on one fill-up on the highway, because it has such a tiny little tank. Would be nice if it were larger is all I'm saying.

Back