Cleaning the interior?

:
2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
My last car - a 2007 accord - was kind of a beater with no special features really. Now with my 2016 GT I'm going to put a lot more effort into maintaining the interior. What products do you guys recommend for keeping up the dash, windows, leather, etc.?

Aerospace 303 protectant! You can order online or sometimes find it in stores. I believe Camping World out by you stocks in there RV care section. It's great protectant that leaves a nice finish that is not overly glossy looking. It makes the dash like new again. There is very little if any cleaning agents in the 303 however so to clean you will need something else. For light cleaning and protectant all in one I've been using Optima leather protectant+, the + is the added cleaning agent. If I really need to clean the interior well I use Meguiars All purpose cleaner D101. I bought a gallon size and dilute to the proper ratio in different bottles for different areas of the car. I use a 10:1 ratio for the interior cleaning and a 4:1 ratio for the exterior, wheels, engine etc. There is also Meg APC+ D103, the difference is that the D103 is low foaming so it can be used in a carpet cleaning machine, is a bit stronger so ratios are slightly different and it has an orange sent to it. D103 is harder to find.

My interior cleaning goes like this if it's really dirty and needs a lot of attention.
1) Vacuum all the carpets, floor mats and seats,
2) using a microfiber, spray and wipe down all surfaces with Megs APC 10:1, including seats, doors and dash.
3) another clean microfiber and spray and wipe down all surfaces except screens with 303 protectant.
4) Spray Stoner's invisible glass onto a clean paper towel (I grab handfuls of the gas station ones) and wipe all windows. Don't spray the windows, spray the towels so you don't get over spray on the dash.
5) Done!

If it's not too dirty, I'll just use Optima Leather protectant plus and for a quick clean up Meguiars interior quick detailer.

Ditto on the 303 for vinyl surfaces, and Invisible Glass for the windows. For the leather, I prefer Zaino (Z-10) Leather In A Bottle for protection and conditioning and their leather spray cleaner (Z-9) for cleaning. When in a pinch, Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner also work well and can be found in most automotive stores and WalMart. My carpets are not exposed since I have Husky Floor liners, so I seldom have to do any work on them.

If it is not too dirty

If not too dirty, I use diluted Murphy's Oil Soap on the hard surfaces...otherwise, It's 303!
Hide Food for the Leather.

You have to remember that this a Mazda not a top of the Maserati so the leather is actually a combination of vinyl and bonded leather. In other words there is a vinyl coating on top of the real leather so the conditioners won't actually be reaching the leather. Treat like you would vinyl and don't waste your money on leather conditioners. Maybe the steering wheel and shift boot or knob it would be if some benefit but not much to be gained using it on the seats. Remember it's something like 80% of all Mercedes are sold with there MB-tex seating surface and not real leather because it's more durable and easier to care for

You have to remember that this a Mazda not a top of the Maserati so the leather is actually a combination of vinyl and bonded leather. In other words there is a vinyl coating on top of the real leather so the conditioners won't actually be reaching the leather. Treat like you would vinyl and don't waste your money on leather conditioners. Maybe the steering wheel and shift boot or knob it would be if some benefit but not much to be gained using it on the seats. Remember it's something like 80% of all Mercedes are sold with there MB-tex seating surface and not real leather because it's more durable and easier to care for

That's really good to know actually. I'm not super worried about the "leather". I take pretty good care of my cars in general and don't throw stuff on the seats.

Okay I'm sold on the 303 haha. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Maybe the steering wheel and shift boot or knob it would be if some benefit but not much to be gained using it on the seats.
Note: Always be careful of what products you use on the steering wheel (and to a lesser degree, the shift knob). Anything that leaves the surface slippery or shiny would be bad for gripping the wheel.

The Hide Food is left over...

Have not bought Hide Food in years...Since I have it, Might as well use it! LOL. The last REAL leather in a car I owned was in a 1982 Porsche 911SC. Even then, the Hide Food was a gift!

Note: Always be careful of what products you use on the steering wheel (and to a lesser degree, the shift knob). Anything that leaves the surface slippery or shiny would be bad for gripping the wheel.

Agreed, all the products I listed, I don not find slippery on the steering wheel at all. I usually wipe excess off with a microfiber. Leaves enough product to be effective for U.V. Protection but not enough to make it slippery.

Zaino makes a product that can be used on vinyl/leather that is a cleaner and conditioner. It has a slight raw leather smell that I think adds to the "ambiance" of the interior but that's up to each person.

Even with vinyl, it should be treated to prevent UV damage and cracking. You can also use 303 on the black plastic trim on the bottom of the car. It will protect the plastic from UV damage. Damaged plastic will start to turn from black to a white haze.

You can order online or sometimes find it in stores. I believe Camping World out by you stocks in there RV care section.

Dude - camping world haha. Exactly where I found 303 protectant. Thanks for the help buddy! I then stopped by a marine supply store a few miles away and they had the entire 303 product line so I picked up some wipes and multi-surface cleaner. Anyone use their speed detailing product?

Last edited:
For my BMW I used Einszett Cockpit Premium for the trim and Swissvax Leather Cleaner for the leather. I was concerned that the Einszett might be a bit to harsh / abrasive for the CX-5 dash so, like everyone else, I went with 303 for the CX-5. I plant to continue to use Swissvax Leather Cleaner and Preserver as it worked great on my BMW (expensive though).

http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc...uct_Code=SE1042690&Category_Code=LEATHER-CARE

Megs APC is a good product for removing the dirt/stains. For plastic pieces, I like using 303 aerospace, and Lexol is my choice for the leather.

I use 303 (you can find it at most boating shops)....and for the leather I use Lexol cleaner (and then Lexol conditioner). The leather doesn't get very dirty but I did use the cleaner on the hand grip of the drivers side door which was dirty from constant use (ie-opening and closing the door).....worked like a charm. Lexol can be found at most equestrian shops (in plastic bottles or wipes). A big thumbs up for the 303 btw....love the UV protection that helps prevent fading (I also use it on the outside bumpers and trim).

Bon

The leather may be a vinyl / leather combination.....but I use leather conditioner to prevent it from cracking. My mother has a 14 year old Accord which the leather is cracked all over the drivers seat. No way I will allow that to happen with my CX-5.

Bon

Magic eraser works well for really dirty windows. It should be safe - I use it in acrylic and glass fish tanks and the fish are fine.

Back