White letters on tires

Only worth it If you get them to match the raised lettering already on the tire. Their example looks dumb.. a Falken tire with a yokohama logo lol. I saw a Suburban today with an AMG sticker on it.. lol

Actually $100 seems like a rip, considering that those WILL fade, just like whitewall on a standard tire. And consider that is just a thin strip or white; how long will it last.. for the price of 1 wheel you can buy materials to paint all of your tires the first time, and have enough left over for 2 or 3 touch ups. A properly painted tire will last long, last through automatic touchless car washes, rain storms etc and will generally only wipe off from physical abrasions.

eKUgmw9.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, my biggest concern with those (bimmian sells a similar product) is that the lettering doesn't fit perfectly over the actual lettering on the tire. From far away, it might look nice but up close has got to be horrible if the letter is the wrong size or font and overlaps the lettering already on the tire.

CHRIS, what type of paint did you use? Mind sharing the product? I know there are some paint pens designed for this use. Not sure if that's just a rebranded product of something you can get over the counter that's much cheaper.

Sorry I did not see people were addressing me. I wish this server had a mention (@joesmith) feature.
This is what you need.
1. A paint pen for the BASE; oil based sharpie pen (office max)works great in the colors you want. I recently re-did mine on new tires with a "painters pen" I got from Walmart that seems to have worked OK, but I'm not sure that is was oil based so I would stick with the sharpie. My example needed about 1.5 white sharpie pens to color the letters.
2. An OIL based artist grade paint. These cost like $5 a tube and that tube will probably last you a year or more (assuming the oil doesn't separate over time).
3.a very small paint brush for each color. you don't want a big one that's gonna go outside the lines because it's annoying trying to clean up over spray and wipe the innerspray off by accident. You don't have to be an artist to paint the letters, just a uniform in color coating. Unless you are actually an artist it will most likely not be uniform in texture so don't waste time trying.

tips
1.The base paint is just to cover the letter; it will look bad and have swirls. Part of this is because the pen (and the paint itself) will move the paint already on the tire around as you fill it in. That's why you go over it with the oil paint + paint brush.

2.Don't try to coat the letters with clear coat or something hoping it will last longer; most of this stuff will destroy what you just did lol. It will last plenty long providing it's not physically rubbed.

Clean with water spray (or auto touchless carwash) only.. I wouldn't spray anything directly on it other than water. Rinse, and touch up if you want it brighter.
Bright colors will brown obviously but it just becomes a "worn in" look that won't look too bad unless it scrapes off or cracks.

All this is more material for a lesser price than a "tire pen" that most likely won't last as long. The extra work is going over with the brush.

Only worth it If you get them to match the raised lettering already on the tire. Their example looks dumb.. a Falken tire with a yokohama logo lol. I saw a Suburban today with an AMG sticker on it.. lol

Actually $100 seems like a rip, considering that those WILL fade, just like whitewall on a standard tire. And consider that is just a thin strip or white; how long will it last.. for the price of 1 wheel you can buy materials to paint all of your tires the first time, and have enough left over for 2 or 3 touch ups. A properly painted tire will last long, last through automatic touchless car washes, rain storms etc and will generally only wipe off from physical abrasions.

eKUgmw9.jpg
What rims are those each? Look great man!!!

Back