Cheapest route to a nav system?

:
2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
I have a 2016 grand touring. No nav system :( I can get th dealer to install one for $399 minus 15 percent discount. I'm all for a cheaper DYI method however since it looks like it's just a memory card they plug in... Any suggestions?

AMAZON, Ebay, or a discount Mazda parts vendor.

for the 2016 CX-5 You want the NAVTEQ card.

I see them for $215-235 shipped on ebay...(whistle)

Last edited:
Phone mount Google Maps and Bluetooth. Heck you don't even need the phone mount as the voice prompts are usually more than enough. Only a good solution for routes that get a decent 3G or 4G signal though...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Phone mount Google Maps and Bluetooth. Heck you don't even need the phone mount as the voice prompts are usually more than enough. Only a good solution for routes that get a decent 3G or 4G signal though...

For a fee there are a few true navigation apps that download maps. I've been using Navigon which only downloads the states I need.

Use your phone or get a portable GPS. Easier to update, can move between different cars, apparently more happy users than with the Mazda version.

I didn't even know grand touring didn't come with nav.

Yeah it's messed up and I'm kind of pissed with the dealer. I switched to a different interior at the last moment and the one with the interior I wanted didn't have the nav system installed. I'm going rounds with the dealer at the moment, insisting they install one. I need to go back and look at all my documents because I think I'm getting screwed...

I didn't even know grand touring didn't come with nav.
Yeah it's messed up and I'm kind of pissed with the dealer. I switched to a different interior at the last moment and the one with the interior I wanted didn't have the nav system installed. I'm going rounds with the dealer at the moment, insisting they install one. I need to go back and look at all my documents because I think I'm getting screwed...
Navigation system is included in optional GT Tech Package which is additional $1,505 MSRP.

Ohhh okay. The car I had been looking at had the tech package and the one I chose did not. I asked him to tell me what the tech package included and the nav system wasn't mentioned. I guess that's my fault for not looking more closely at the details. I probably would have made the same choice however. The nav system is the only part of the tech package I really want and I can get it for a lot less than the added cost to the msrp

Thanks for all the info!

The nav system is the only part of the tech package I really want and I can get it for a lot less than the added cost to the msrp
People getting GT Tech Package mostly is because they want LED low/high beam headlights with AFS, fog lights, (cool) DRLs, tail lights and brake lights. Smart City Brake Support and auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink are other useful features. Nav normally is the last they want as you can easily to add it by yourself.

I agree with others that its not worth it.

- The HD Radio traffic map is useless.
- It appears to only take historic traffic into account on routes, not current traffic like waze, google, or apple maps
- Unlike waze, google, or apple, they lock the input when the car is in motion, huge pain if your passenger can't edit stuff
- We tried to use it the first trip from the dealer to my wife's office, and it didn't have the address even though the building has been in there for years (and I did check for updates after, we have the latest)

Best option would be a smartphone, but if you can't do that, and you can put up with a little clutter, you would be better off looking at a standalone GPS unit that has traffic built in (one that doesn't use the radio for traffic or require a smartphone link).

Even if you don't care about traffic, the fact that the maps are out of date and that you can't use the GPS when the car is moving is enough reason for me not to use it.

I agree with others that its not worth it.

- The HD Radio traffic map is useless.
- It appears to only take historic traffic into account on routes, not current traffic like waze, google, or apple maps
- Unlike waze, google, or apple, they lock the input when the car is in motion, huge pain if your passenger can't edit stuff
- We tried to use it the first trip from the dealer to my wife's office, and it didn't have the address even though the building has been in there for years (and I did check for updates after, we have the latest)

Best option would be a smartphone, but if you can't do that, and you can put up with a little clutter, you would be better off looking at a standalone GPS unit that has traffic built in (one that doesn't use the radio for traffic or require a smartphone link).

Even if you don't care about traffic, the fact that the maps are out of date and that you can't use the GPS when the car is moving is enough reason for me not to use it.

I think I'm starting to agree. I had my phone connected and used the gps app I have and it worked perfectly. I like that it gives me the directions over the stereo system. I think I'll spend the money on something else!

I'm giving Navmii a tryout today. It allows state-by-state map downloads like Navigon, saving memory. It's very cheap, for $2 you can go ad-free and for $4 you can add text-to-speech streetnames. The map data seems to be sourced from OpenMap, so will have to see just how accurate it is... placing a couple of unusual addresses in it worked fine. The interface is nice.

I'm giving Navmii a tryout today. It allows state-by-state map downloads like Navigon, saving memory. It's very cheap, for $2 you can go ad-free and for $4 you can add text-to-speech streetnames. The map data seems to be sourced from OpenMap, so will have to see just how accurate it is... placing a couple of unusual addresses in it worked fine. The interface is nice.

Let me know how that goes for you. The problem with GPS in Oregon is that we have a ton of logging roads and I've had that happen many times where it gives me a route that suggests I take some unpaved, narrow and destroyed logging road

I'm a brand new owner of the 2016 CX-5 Touring...and looking to add the navigation....I see 2 different versions on ebay popping up:

BHP1 66 EZ1D

and another version ending in "EZ1C" which is generally available for lesser cost. Can the EZ1C be updated to EZ1D, and is the EZ1D a the newest/best version?

I appreciate any help and advice!

I'm a brand new owner of the 2016 CX-5 Touring...and looking to add the navigation....I see 2 different versions on ebay popping up:

BHP1 66 EZ1D

and another version ending in "EZ1C" which is generally available for lesser cost. Can the EZ1C be updated to EZ1D, and is the EZ1D a the newest/best version?

I appreciate any help and advice!
Just use the common sense, "D" normally is the revision of "C" version. Besides, you wouldn't think people are selling "newer" "C" version for cheaper price than older version, right? There is no free lunch, which applies everywhere... ;)

Just use the common sense, "D" normally is the revision of "C" version. Besides, you wouldn't think people are selling "newer" "C" version for cheaper price than older version, right? There is no free lunch, which applies everywhere... ;)

Maybe I phrased my question poorly, but to be clear I was under the assumption that D should be newer than C I just thought rather than assume I could ask - they really aren't that far apart in cost.

More importantly than that, however, is if the C version can be updated to the D version - and if D is indeed more desirable. Newest is not always best, and with all the C versions still floating around I thought they could possibly be more popular or less buggy. Is it the same exact platform with updated maps perhaps?

At the end of the day I am inclined to purchase the D version - just want to make sure that it makes the most sense!

I would expect that you get three years of updates with any version. But you may want to dig a little further.

Back