Rusting Hatch Damper Bolts?

katmar

:
16 CX-5 GT and 13 CX-5 Touring AWD
Anyone else's hatch damper connection bolts rusting? This is the bolt/joint connecting the hatch damper to the hatch itself.

I just noticed that my 3-year-old, 33,000 mile 2013 Touring's look rusted. All other bolts/nuts in the hatch area look fine. Just those two connection points look rusted.

Is it just mine? Should I be concerned?

See attached pics.

Attachments

• rust1.jpg
    rust1.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 2,468
  • rust2.jpg
    rust2.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 2,489
I would get those bolts covered with grease (lithium or other) ASAP or otherwise replace them

Are you near the coast? If so, salt air will do that to unprotected metal.

Last edited:
Anyone else's hatch damper connection bolts rusting? This is the bolt/joint connecting the hatch damper to the hatch itself.

I just noticed that my 3-year-old, 33,000 mile 2013 Touring's look rusted. All other bolts/nuts in the hatch area look fine. Just those two connection points look rusted.

Is it just mine? Should I be concerned?

See attached pics.

Wow! I would say some strong chemicals like acid or harsh cleaners got on there. Or have you done any re-wiring? Sometimes corrosion this fast is due to stray electrical currents but I wouldn't suspect that because the plastic ball joint looks like it would be an insulator. I live on an island surrounded by salt water, always park my CX-5 in the weather (my motorcycles get the garage and my wife's car gets the carport) and live in the rainy Pacific Northwest. Often it's parked in a forest with wet maple leaves and evergreen needles building up in that area which are acidic and corrosive. It's been this way since I bought it back in 2012 and mine looks like this:

attachment.php

So definitely not normal! I didn't even wax my car until this summer so it's only been washed three or four times and waxed once!

Thanks for the replies!

Never been near salt water, no electrical (or other) mods of any kind. Just an ordinary, unmodified car in ordinary weather. We do get winters with road salt, but I'm sure many of you do as well.

So I really can't explain it. The odd thing is it's just those two connection points, everything else in the "gutter" surrounding the hatch looks like new. I'm wondering if it was misstep in the manufacturing/assembly process, like they used improper or untreated bolts or something.

Anyone know if this sorta thing might be replaced under warranty? Could the rust spread to the surface of the hatch itself if left unreplaced?

Anyone know if this sorta thing might be replaced under warranty? Could the rust spread to the surface of the hatch itself if left unreplaced?

Yes, it can and will spread, it needs immediate attention. That's the nature of corrosion. I wonder if your paint has metalflakes of dissimilar metals in it? Other than that long shot, given your earlier statements, I can't really explain how that could have happened. It's bizarre. If it's related to the paint, then others with the same paint should be seeing similar problems. The good news is it's a very quick repair once you have the two ball joints/2 washers. Ask your dealer if they will cover it.

I don't know what year your car is since your profile just says CX-5 AWD Touring.

LOL! The 2nd line of his original post says: "I just noticed that my 3-year-old, 33,000 mile 2013 Touring's look rusted."

Good catch! I didn't go back and re-read his original post. My bad!

It is handy reference when people list the specific vehicle they have in that handy box on the left like you have done.

I'm in Minnesota and I can pretty much assure you that our vehicles here are subject to waaaayyyy more road salt than you get in NJ. Here is what the bolts look like on mine (2 winters' worth)

Up here near Toronto, bolts also rusted like the original poster's. Also rust on some of the door hinge bolts, and suspension pieces, and in the rear wheel wells.... :(

Back