Question about 2016 CX-5 Key(s)

honeybadger

:
Camry
(Assume CX-5 Sport w/o technology)
All right, maybe this is a ridiculous question, but keep in mind I still have a car that doesn't even have a remote for unlocking it. (dunno)

My question is - is there a non-electrical spare for just getting into the vehicle? When I SCUBA dive I usually just take my key on a lanyard under my wetsuit, or in the case of my girlfriend's car, we take a non-electrical key that only unlocks and won't start the car. If there is a non-electrical spare, can it be copied onto a key that would have a slot to stay on a key ring?

With the push button start, I assume the key fob has to be within a certain range? So if there is a spare and I lock the key fob in the vehicle, would it be within range that someone could break the window and just start it without knowing the fob is there?

I can't seem to find anything out on the mazda site's specs and any other threads I've found in this forum are more about locking the key in the car. I also don't see an external lock on any photos of the CX-5.

Thanks!

To answer your first question. There is a key in the key fob. On the back of the fob there is a slider that you slide and it unlocks the manual key. That key will let you open the vehicle but not start it. Also that portion of the key is what attaches to the key chain so that covers the lanyard portion fine. You just disconnect the key fob and slide out the physical key and put it on your lanyard.

The key fob is very dependent on battery strength. My fob with a fresh battery can be sensed by the car from just behind the back seats - sometimes as far as the rear storage area. With an older battery (I'm on my 3rd battery) the range can be very limited.

So if you store the key fob in the vehicle - store it where the spare tire is and test it to see if you can get the car to start. That may be far enough away to where it won't start.

Also - I assume when you scuba you take a boat, why not just leave the key on the boat? Unless you walk in or drop off a pier or something.

Do not store the fob in the back. Wrap the fob in Aluminum foil and put it in the glove box. Keep the key with you. There have been threads here about this issue.

As others have mentioned, the fob hides a physical metal key that operates the doors only. While you could remove and use this key in the water, its a bit chunky because of the plastic housing, and losing it would make your fob look weird. My solution was to have that metal key copied by a competent locksmith. I now have a spare metal key (looks like a traditional, flat spare key) that I can use while running. I'm thinking about making a second copy to keep in my wallet as lockout protection.

A fob left inside the car will "de-activate" after a period of time. See the Owners Manual ("Key Suspend Function"). This is for safety and to save the battery in the fob. Once the fob de-activates, it no longer serves to start the car. HOWEVER, re-activating the fob is as easy as pushing a button on the fob. So it's not really a security deterrent.

Alternatively, you can wrap the fob in foil or use other methods to block the signal so that the fob doesn't start the car and so that the fob battery doesn't get drained.

Either way, if someone finds your fob inside the car, then they can start it. If you leave your fob in the car, you're going to want it well-hidden and out of sight.

Don't take this the wrong way, but the best reference for your car is the manual. If you'll read chapter 3, you'll find that many of your questions - about the manual key and about the fob range for instance - are answered.

Yes, the manual for mine is 626 pages and even navigating through the index and table of contents can be a pain, but at least you'll know you have accurate information. A lot of it may not be applicable, so owners can skip over that. Like if you don't have kids, there are a ton of pages about safety and how to set up a carseat which might be completely useless to some folks. I too agree that the manual is actually helpful. The physical version might be easier to go through than the PDF version.

I too agree that the manual is actually helpful. The physical version might be easier to go through than the PDF version.

I actually prefer the PDF manual for looking things up, much faster than the printed version and you can search and find every instance of a particular item you are interested in, even if that item is in multiple locations. A touchscreen helps too. I use a MS Surface Pro tablet PC and it's really handy for stuff like this.

Thanks, all. I appreciate the advice!

Don't take this the wrong way, but the best reference for your car is the manual. If you'll read chapter 3, you'll find that many of your questions - about the manual key and about the fob range for instance - are answered.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. I don't have one - I'm just trying to do some research because I'm planning on getting one.

To answer your first question. There is a key in the key fob. On the back of the fob there is a slider that you slide and it unlocks the manual key. That key will let you open the vehicle but not start it. Also that portion of the key is what attaches to the key chain so that covers the lanyard portion fine. You just disconnect the key fob and slide out the physical key and put it on your lanyard.

The key fob is very dependent on battery strength. My fob with a fresh battery can be sensed by the car from just behind the back seats - sometimes as far as the rear storage area. With an older battery (I'm on my 3rd battery) the range can be very limited.

So if you store the key fob in the vehicle - store it where the spare tire is and test it to see if you can get the car to start. That may be far enough away to where it won't start.

Also - I assume when you scuba you take a boat, why not just leave the key on the boat? Unless you walk in or drop off a pier or something.

Thanks. Yeah, I live in FL and do a lot of shore dives, so no boat.

In a similar theme/thread hijack, are fob prices the same around the country?

My BMW keys range anywhere from $150 to $250 depending on the dealer.

In a similar theme/thread hijack, are fob prices the same around the country?

I bought a fob on ebay from a totaled CX, very reasonable price. This was much cheaper than any dealer I checked, and the different dealers I checked did want different prices for the same part.
If you want another fob, it is easy to buy one from ebay - Check the numbers on your fob on the label that will be visible when you pull out the key. Mine shows "FCC ID: WAZSKE13001". The fob that you buy needs to have the same FCC ID number as the one that came with the vehicle. If you need a new key, keys for Mazdas are sold on ebay as well. I had the new key cut at my local locksmith.
I was told that the fob can not be programmed, rather the car is programmed to recognize the fob. Your Mazda service dealer will have to program your Mazda to accept all of your fobs if you decide to buy a new fob. Bring all fobs with you for the programming service. Check all dealers within driving distance because the price for this service varies greatly.

I bought a fob on ebay from a totaled CX, very reasonable price. This was much cheaper than any dealer I checked, and the different dealers I checked did want different prices for the same part.
If you want another fob, it is easy to buy one from ebay - Check the numbers on your fob on the label that will be visible when you pull out the key. Mine shows "FCC ID: WAZSKE13001". The fob that you buy needs to have the same FCC ID number as the one that came with the vehicle. If you need a new key, keys for Mazdas are sold on ebay as well. I had the new key cut at my local locksmith.
I was told that the fob can not be programmed, rather the car is programmed to recognize the fob. Your Mazda service dealer will have to program your Mazda to accept all of your fobs if you decide to buy a new fob. Bring all fobs with you for the programming service. Check all dealers within driving distance because the price for this service varies greatly.

Thanks! Great to know.

Back