CX-5 rates dead last in Motorweek Compact SUV comparison

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
Motorweek show this morning had a Compact SUV Comparison. The CX-5 rated dead last (Escape wasn't rated for some reason). Chevy, GMC, Nissan rated 2,3,4 ???!!! How did these NOT rank at the bottom.
IMO, they should be rated; Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Subaru, Chevy, GMC, Nissan.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/comparison_tests/compact-suv-challenge

https://www.cars.com/articles/28000-compact-suv-challenge-the-results-1420680467422/

#1 2015 Honda CR-V
#2 2015 Chevrolet Equinox
#3 2015 GMC Terrain
#4 2015 Nissan Rogue
#5 2015 Subaru Forester
#6 2015 Toyota RAV4
#7 2016 Mazda CX-5

?? 2015 Ford Escape

Last edited:
Quote:

"As usual, we’ve been joined by a local family from our Maryland test venue to help sort through the gearboxes and gadgets of these modern-day station wagons.

With the very close pricing and mostly similar designs, it became clear early on that scoring would be tight.

And there were certainly some surprises, as in the bottom three slots are the Mazda CX-5, Toyota Rav4, and Subaru Forester. All fine choices and major sellers in the segment, but they fell behind here for reasons such as rough ride quality, subpar interior materials, or excessive road and engine noise."

modern-day station wagons

That gives you an idea of where they're coming from

That's a common definition of CUVs. Truth hurts!

Vanilla sells. Most of the market doesn't know or care about driving dynamics. Sport suspension = "rough ride", vroom vroom = "loud engine noise"... If they're just looking for a cushy family truckster, I can see why others are at the top of the list.

My only agreement is the CX-5 is a noisy ride. The engine isn't the half of it. It sounds good. It's the rest of the vehicle/lack of sound deadening, etc.

That said, the only 3 SUV's from the line I'd consider are the 3 that ranked dead last, so at least their taste and mine are consistently diametrically opposed, and confirmation that I chose the best SUV of that list for myself.

CX-5 rates dead last in MotorWeek Compact SUV comparison

I created a table for all the categories MotorWeek/Cars.com compared in $28,000 Compact SUV Challenge: The Results:

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring ScoreJudges' Average Score Range
Interior Quality6.75.0~6.7
Comfort6.05.8~8.0
Child-Safety Seats5.05.0~9.0
Trunk & Storage6.26.2~7.7
Tech & Entertainment6.86.1~8.3
Handling7.66.3~7.6
Acceleration7.05.2~7.0
Ride5.35.3~7.8
Noise6.55.3~7.6
Worth the Money6.86.5~8.2
Overall Score673.3673.3~752.8

Mazda CX-5 did get first place on Interior Quality、Handling and Acceleration but at the last place on Child-Safety Seats、Trunk & Storage and Ride. Especially on Child-Safety Seats CX-5 got only 5.0 whereas all other CUVs got 8.0~9.0! This category alone caused CX-5 to be the last place! We don't use child seat and I'm not sure what's wrong on this area for the CX-5. Strange thing is there is no comparison on fuel economy ratings and as we all know CX-5 would have been rated at the first place if they considered this very important category nowadays!

There is a fuel ratings page. Here's the direct link for it. https://www.cars.com/articles/which-compact-suv-gets-the-best-mileage-1420680467139/

Surprisingly the CX-5 came in second to the Subaru but that didn't hurt that much in the ratings.

I've never used the child seats either and have no idea what the problem with it is.

Two quotes attributed to the testers baffled me.

"The CX-5 is kind of unspectacular for me," Varela said. "While it definitely features some niceties above and beyond the others, with rear cross-traffic alerts for example, it just doesn't shout, 'take me home and drive me for hours on end every single day.' "

Maybe she's deaf?

"The steering is weighty but somewhat numb, and the brakes feel muddy in the first inch of pedal travel."

Really?

Oh well, 2 months and 2000 miles since my purchase and I wouldn't trade for any of the others tested.

CX-5 rates dead last in MotorWeek Compact SUV comparison

"... it just doesn't shout, 'take me home and drive me for hours on end every single day.' "

"The steering is weighty but somewhat numb, and the brakes feel muddy in the first inch of pedal travel."
I thought those are most common comments made by many reviewers for AutoWeek's number one rated Honda CR-V?

There is a fuel ratings page. Here's the direct link for it. https://www.cars.com/articles/which-compact-suv-gets-the-best-mileage-1420680467139/

Surprisingly the CX-5 came in second to the Subaru but that didn't hurt that much in the ratings.

I've never used the child seats either and have no idea what the problem with it is.

"The CX-5 is kind of unspectacular for me," Varela said. "While it definitely features some niceties above and beyond the others, with rear cross-traffic alerts for example, it just doesn't shout, 'take me home and drive me for hours on end every single day.' "

Maybe she's deaf?

Really?

Oh well, 2 months and 2000 miles since my purchase and I wouldn't trade for any of the others tested.

I do agree with her on the brakes. They have terrible modulation.

Maybe she's deaf?

Really?

I don't have kids and so have not tried child seats, but if I had to guess it would be because the rear door openings are a bit awkward. They're kind of small and the wheel well encroaches. I've actually managed to put a little dent in the sheet metal there by loading a piece of luggage through the side and bumping it into the wheel well. I can see a child seat being somewhat awkward to fit through the opening.

I test drove most of these before buying my 15 CX-5. The only one that came close in my choice was the Honda, but the Mazda looked soooooooo much better.

"The CX-5 is kind of unspectacular for me," Varela said. "While it definitely features some niceties above and beyond the others, with rear cross-traffic alerts for example, it just doesn't shout, 'take me home and drive me for hours on end every single day.' "[/I]

Maybe she's deaf?

Really?

I've had mine just over 2 mnth and have just over 6,000km ,I absolutely love driving it,but I have the GT. ;-)

Last edited:
In 2013 when I was car shopping the CRV was my second choice, its not a bad car, but lacked the power and torque of the CX-5.

In the UK the CX-5 diesel has won every group test that I've seen. Also the Kuga isn't really rated highly over here.
Diesel CX-5 steering is one of the best I've ever had, and although the brakes are less powerful than a 2009 Xtrail I've now got use to them.

The Xtrail had ventilated discs front and rear, the CX-5 only the front as a matter of interest.

Both the OP links show broken for me?

Last edited:
Motorweek show this morning had a Compact SUV Comparison. The CX-5 rated dead last (Escape wasn't rated for some reason). Chevy, GMC, Nissan rated 2,3,4 ???!!! How did these NOT rank at the bottom.
IMO, they should be rated; Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Subaru, Chevy, GMC, Nissan.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/comparison_tests/compact-suv-challenge

https://www.cars.com/articles/28000-compact-suv-challenge-the-results-1420680467422/

#1 2015 Honda CR-V
#2 2015 Chevrolet Equinox
#3 2015 GMC Terrain
#4 2015 Nissan Rogue
#5 2015 Subaru Forester
#6 2015 Toyota RAV4
#7 2016 Mazda CX-5

?? 2015 Ford Escape

Your links don't work!

Back