Cars' keyless ignitions called 'deadly' in lawsuit

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/26/aut...moneybin082615keylessignitionlawsuit0430story

Lawyers have filed a class action lawsuit against most major automakers over what attorneys call a deadly "defect" in keyless ignition systems.
Keyless ignition systems, available on very many new cars sold in the United States today, allow drivers to start the car with the press of a button while an electronic "key fob" remains in their pocket or purse. The car will not start if the key fob is not detected inside the vehicle.
The "defect" alleged in the lawsuit is that, once the car has been started, these systems allow to it continue running even after the fob itself is no longer in the car. The lawsuit cited cases in which drivers have inadvertently left their vehicles running inside enclosed garages causing a build-up of toxic odorless carbon monoxide gas that has seeped into homes, including at least one case involving a Toyota Prius hybrid.
There have been 13 deaths in these sorts of incidents, according to the lawsuit, and many more injuries. This is especially likely in cars that have very quiet, smooth-running engines.
For example, in gasoline-electric hybrid cars, the engine may not be running at all when the driver first gets out of the vehicle. The engine could come on later, though, after power in the vehicles' batteries runs low.

I wonder how strong this case would be, because when the keys leave the running car, the car will make all sorts of loud beeps and flash messages/dash lights to notify the operator that the key is missing. I don't know how much more the automakers can do.

I don't know if having an auto off is a safe option either. I've dropped off passengers who were holding the key to the car before and accidentally driven off. Usually I'll hear the beeps and come back around for the key, but during that time, I wouldn't want the car to suddenly shut itself off while I'm driving.

Maybe an auto off function if the car detects that it hasn't moved after a certain amount of time?

What does this mean for the REMOTE START also?

Couldn't someone hack the app so that they could start the target vehicle in someone's garage without knowing?

Sounds as if there is a need for an IDLE TIMER function in the cars logic, whereas: if the car has idled in spot for a specified duration, the engine will be shut off automatically? (scratch)

Last edited:
Newer Volts have software that will shut the car off after a few minutes if the key fob leaves the vehicle.

A simple and effective fix. Only downside would be if you have a passenger in the car and intentionally leave the car running with the a/c on. I suppose in that case you could leave the fob inside.

There would still need to be some logic in case the battery in the fob is low/dead or the fob is in a dead zone within the car. If the car is moving, for instance, don't turn off!

Last edited:
No disrespect to the families of the "victims", but this was exactly what I was thinking, too.
+2 If you can't remember to turn off your own car, then you probably should not be driving one. I can't fathom suing a car company because I forgot to turn off my car. And people wonder why there's so much CYA in fine print these days.

What does this mean for the REMOTE START also?

Couldn't someone hack the app so that they could start the target vehicle in someone's garage without knowing?

Sounds as if there is a need for an IDLE TIMER function in the cars logic, whereas: if the car has idled in spot for a specified duration, the engine will be shut off automatically? (scratch)

I think most remote-starts have a 10 minute limit for the car to run, then turns the car off. It might be adjustable higher, but, I think most remote starts default to 10 minutes.

Newer Volts have software that will shut the car off after a few minutes if the key fob leaves the vehicle.

A simple and effective fix. Only downside would be if you have a passenger in the car and intentionally leave the car running with the a/c on. I suppose in that case you could leave the fob inside.

Manufacturer could probably tie into the front seat air bag disable switch in that scenario.

Next year's models are going up by $1000 to cover the added cost of stupid.

So...

Does this mean all drivers that leave their cars running while in neutral, and walk away, causing the car to roll into traffic, can, sue the auto makers for damages caused by a defective key/ignition module since the car did not automatically turn off when there was obviously not a licensed driver at the wheel...

I can hear it now, "You Honor, it was not my fault, the car should have known better that to drive off without me... " [emoji9]

So with the Mazda Remote Start. Can someone hack into the system and start a car in someones garage? That could be deadly due to the carbon monoxide.

Why not use the same sensors that the airbags use to determine if someone is sitting in the front seats. If no one is sitting in the seats and the car is running, it could give a one minute count down before it shuts off. Such as the car will automatically self-destruct...er shut off, in t-minus 60 seconds.....(evil)

I'd like to add that my wife accidentally left her car running in the garage and I closed the door without realizing (we were rushing of course to get somewhere) and that was in the days cars had keys....

how could lawyers prove you'd be more likely to do this with push button if you could also do the same thing with keyed ignitions.

Idiotic!

Last edited:
Back