2016 Mazda CX-5 Earns "Superior" Rating from IIHS

Berner

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD Tech & i-Active
Thanks to the i-ACTIVSENSE package, the 2016 CX-5 was bumped up from "Advanced" (2014 & 2015) to "Superior" in the ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The CX-5 retained its "Top Safety Pick" designation, same as the 2014 and 2015. The CX-5 remains one of the absolute safest cars on the road.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5-4-door-suv/2016
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...arn-superior-ratings-from-iihs-300133274.html

By the way, if you've never visited the IIHS website before, its a hoot if for nothing other than to watch the crash test videos. Amazing stuff. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orjnxdOKgK4

Anyone have any safety mods to make the cabin environment more safe in case of an accident? I'm sure with CAFE and EPA they have to cut corners on safety to get low emissions and high mpg.

Just kidding! Congratulations Mazda! Showing us one of the smaller manufacturers can lead in modern technology.

Congrats!

The i-ActivSense is well worth the $1,500 option.

It's always hard to watch footage of perfectly new cars being smashed on purpose but it needs to be done to save lives. New cars can be built in a factory but people cannot.

So now Subaru will no longer be top dog with the front collision prevention. The CX5 has taken the spot.

That's great news!!! I hope to never experience the SCBS but glad I have it.

I saw the CX-5 shown today in some of the IIHS related news reports.... it will be interesting what this will do for sales discounts. Dealers may be less likely to deal.

Would placing the 3M clear front end paint protection film cause any problems with the radar system in the i-ActivSense system?

If installer did put 3M on the Mazda emblem sensor and it caused issues you could always pull it off. Probably not but not based on any objective fact.....

I wonder what that sensor costs on the Mazda? I know on my Infiniti it is over $1K just for the part. In that instance it is one of those parts that calibration upon replacement is not covered by extended warranty. I had to pay for an hour of time for that one.

Congrats!

The i-ActivSense is well worth the $1,500 option.

It's always hard to watch footage of perfectly new cars being smashed on purpose but it needs to be done to save lives. New cars can be built in a factory but people cannot.

So now Subaru will no longer be top dog with the front collision prevention. The CX5 has taken the spot.

I agree completely with your first two statements.

I think, however, Subaru is still top dog when it comes to forward collision avoidance. In the 25 mph collision avoidance test, Subaru (e.g. Outback) avoids a collision completely whereas Mazda (e.g. CX-5) reduces impact speed significantly but does not avoid a collision completely.

I agree completely with your first two statements.

I think, however, Subaru is still top dog when it comes to forward collision avoidance. In the 25 mph collision avoidance test, Subaru (e.g. Outback) avoids a collision completely whereas Mazda (e.g. CX-5) reduces impact speed significantly but does not avoid a collision completely.

Yes, it showed that the Mazda dropped it from 25 mph to 22mph but it kept moving at 3mph. The Subaru stopped completely.

With that being said, both the Subaru and Mazda got the 6 out of 6 points and the Superior rating. So IIHS views the 3mph as a minor thing and did not knock points off of it.

The IIHS just published a status report on the proliferation of frontal-crash prevention technology, and highlighted the cars that earned a "Superior" rating in their newest model year -- including the Mazda CX-5 and Mazda 6 equipped with i-Active. Also joining the CX-5 in the Superior category this year are our pricier competitors from Mercedes, Acura, and BMW. Keep trying Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Jeep and VW. (To be fair, the Subaru Forester isn't mentioned in the article because it already earned a Superior rating in a prior model year.)

Interesting to note that 51% of all new cars today have some form of frontal-crash prevention technology, either optional or standard -- up from 11% five years ago. 27% of all new cars have some kind of autonomous braking, either optional or standard -- up from 4% five years ago.

I wonder if they did their tests with the US rear head-rests or the non-US spec ones. ;)

Back