Easy "Headlights Needed" Reminder

Bob4dogs

:
2014 CX-5 AWD Touring
For decades my cars had light sensors to manage the headlights or at least display a warning when the lights should be on. My 2014 CX-5 Touring does neither and I caught myself driving at night without lights on. I found a helpful automatic reminder for $15. LED lights on tiny circuit boards powered by USB ports are available (find them at Amazon, making sure you get one with a light sensor). I use a USB cord to put the light in the opening under the dashboard in front of the shifter. It's exposed to light/dark and noticeable when it turns on. With the sensor facing upward the LED lights aim downward and are not too glaring. Hope others find this helpful.

Attachments

• Car Light 1.jpg
    Car Light 1.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Car Light 2.jpg
    Car Light 2.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 264
It's a board that determines if it's light or dark in the cabin? Doesn't the windshield do that? How do you determine if the headlights are on versus just the parking lights?

My suggestion for a cleaner install would be to route the power cord between the dash and the A-pillar. If the sensor and the lights are different sides of the board, facing the LED's towards the pillar should give you enough reflected light.

Better still! Get a plastic, hollow St. Christopher statue and place the board inside that. His glowing, Saintly goodness will protect you on those dark stretches of road.

It's a board that determines if it's light or dark in the cabin? Doesn't the windshield do that? How do you determine if the headlights are on versus just the parking lights?

My suggestion for a cleaner install would be to route the power cord between the dash and the A-pillar. If the sensor and the lights are different sides of the board, facing the LED's towards the pillar should give you enough reflected light.

Better still! Get a plastic, hollow St. Christopher statue and place the board inside that. His glowing, Saintly goodness will protect you on those dark stretches of road.

Props for knowing the story of St. Christopher lol. I actually live up to it a bit.. except my shoulders are messed up and I could never carry anyone on them lol.

Yes, looking out the windshield tells you if it's light or dark. Thing is, after 20+ yrs. of letting auto sensors work the headlights, I don't always remember to turn them on myself. I've not grown used to the LED's popping on so they do remind me. Like the St. Christopher idea!

I don't / haven't used auto on any of my vehicles cause I hate having them come on in my garage during daylight hours whether it be coming or going.

I've had a 2014, I just left the lights on all the time after I realized they turned off alone and didn't drain the battery.

They fixed that for 2016 with the 'auto' option.

I have day light running light on 100% of the time with my 2014 touring. However; the tail lights are not on with the DLRL, so one must remember to turn on the driving lights when it gets dark. Ed

I have my lights on all the time as well, and they turn off automatically after 30 seconds, when the car is off.

If your blind spot monitoring stops working are you going to forget to look over your shoulder or into your mirror too before you change lanes? Seems silly doesn't it.

It's pretty easy to tell if my lights are on because when they are on the dash lights go into a dim night mode. If I were to some how forget to turn on my lights at night the dash lights are so bright that they somewhat blind me. Yours should do the same.

If your blind spot monitoring stops working are you going to forget to look over your shoulder or into your mirror too before you change lanes? Seems silly doesn't it.

It's pretty easy to tell if my lights are on because when they are on the dash lights go into a dim night mode. If I were to some how forget to turn on my lights at night the dash lights are so bright that they somewhat blind me. Yours should do the same.
Besides there's a constant, annoying yellow reminder light on all the time on the dash when the lights are on. Very hard to miss.

For decades my cars had light sensors to manage the headlights or at least display a warning when the lights should be on. My 2014 CX-5 Touring does neither and I caught myself driving at night without lights on. I found a helpful automatic reminder for $15. LED lights on tiny circuit boards powered by USB ports are available (find them at Amazon, making sure you get one with a light sensor). I use a USB cord to put the light in the opening under the dashboard in front of the shifter. It's exposed to light/dark and noticeable when it turns on. With the sensor facing upward the LED lights aim downward and are not too glaring. Hope others find this helpful.

Can you tell me where on Amazon you found them? Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you tell me where on Amazon you found them? Thanks.

Amazon lists them as: "Yitee 4pcs USB Light Keychain Super Bright with Smart Light Sensor". Mine were "Fulfilled by Amazon" at $9.99 which I don't see offered now. They come in a package of 4.

Amazon lists them as: "Yitee 4pcs USB Light Keychain Super Bright with Smart Light Sensor". Mine were "Fulfilled by Amazon" at $9.99 which I don't see offered now. They come in a package of 4.

Found them on Amazon. Thanks.

Back