Problems with 2015 CX-5

Mr 13

:
2015 cx-5
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and came to seek advice for my Mom.
My Mom purchased a brand new 2015 CX-5 this past December. She researched her purchase long and hard and settled on this one. She was extremely excited as she hasn't purchased a new car in over 15 years easily.
The car runs and drives great and meets all her expectations. The problem comes in with the electronics. Apparently the walk away lock doesn't work from time to time. It has something to do with the hatch opening. She says when she opens the hatch and closes it the walk away locks stop working and she then has to reopen and close the hatch to re-engage them. Also, for seemingly no reason at all, her memory settings will reset. This includes anything that she has set.
She has taken it into the dealership several times and they've tried to diagnose the problem but seem to have the attitude that she doesn't know what she's talking about. She even got the walk away lock problem to perform as she described and they still won't help her. The dealership has come up with a solution for her that I think is ridiculous. Their solution is to let her trade in her brand new car and pay an additional $7000 and they will get her another model. I'm not clear if that means 2015 or 2016 or what.
I'm curious if anyone has had these issues as well (speaking of the electrical issues). Also, what are your opinions on this "deal" they have constructed? She struggled really hard to get a price that work for her payments and the addition of the $7000 would make her payments almost $100 more a month. She just wants a car that works and my opinion is that the dealership should honor what they sold her 8 months ago. To be fair, she started reporting these problems in early January.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help you can offer would be great.

Cameron

Don't let them talk her into a more expensive model or year. The car is under warranty and should perform as designed. Make sure the remote has a fresh battery in it, there is such a thing as defective cells.

Wow that is so nice of the dealer to offer that! NOT!!!

Please consider taking it to another Mazda dealer for service, or contact Mazda North America to discuss the problems with your dealer.

I drive past 3 other closer Mazda dealers to get to the one that wants my business, and wants to serve me.

Your mom is just going to have to live with the little nuances, unless she wants to sell her car and buy a different one. What you describe sounds like minor issues we all have when we first get a new car. There are a few other things you haven't gotten to yet I'm sure. Be happy you have a solid car that will be reliable if you take car of it for at least 10 years.

Your mom is just going to have to live with the little nuances, unless she wants to sell her car and buy a different one. What you describe sounds like minor issues we all have when we first get a new car. There are a few other things you haven't gotten to yet I'm sure. Be happy you have a solid car that will be reliable if you take car of it for at least 10 years.

To be fair, the information we have at hand is not sufficient to conclude that the systems are working normally or not. It could be user error/unfamiliarity or it could be defective. It's possible her memory settings are being reset at the service department when power is disconnected to try to remedy the other malfunction. I still think the battery in the remote should be swapped out if only to eliminate one possible cause.

To be fair, the information we have at hand is not sufficient to conclude that the systems are working normally or not. It could be user error/unfamiliarity or it could be defective. It's possible her memory settings are being reset at the service department when power is disconnected to try to remedy the other malfunction. I still think the battery in the remote should be swapped out if only to eliminate one possible cause.

The hatch might need adjusting too. There might even be a TSB about this. It's possible to close the hatch without it properly engaging the lock mechanism. The remote won't lock the car in that circumstance. I had that happen occasionally when I first got the car and I learned to more forcefully close it - a simple drop wasn't enough.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Hate to say it but going by my dealership experience I'm not suprised. I'd tell her to be polite but a nuance. Now days sometimes you have to work in order for people to their job.
Hope you can find an answer here that can help her though. Good luck to her.

Last edited:
I can't comment on the other issues, but the "walk-away lock" feature is a bit finicky on my 2016 as well. It's especially so if I open the lift gate. I've found that I need to really "thump" it closed, then stand there for a second for it to lock every time. Even with the regular doors, I make a point of closing the door a bit harder than I do with our other car and standing there until I hear the beep before walking away. I've shut the doors and walked away only to have the doors not lock because I walked away too fast. Not sure if this is the issue your mom's car has but it's something she can use to help mitigate the situation.

Personally I'd take it to another dealer. You don't fix a problem by up-selling someone to a more expensive product, that's just bad business.

I can't comment on the other issues, but the "walk-away lock" feature is a bit finicky on my 2016 as well. It's especially so if I open the lift gate....

I'm not sure my 2014 Touring even HAS the walk-away as I've looked into enabling it in the infotainment menus. But the problems relayed in this forum in particular makes me think it's probably best not to rely on it else it will surely fail me when I need it most.

Then again, maybe I'm just a bit neo-Luddite.

I'm not sure my 2014 Touring even HAS the walk-away as I've looked into enabling it in the infotainment menus. But the problems relayed in this forum in particular makes me think it's probably best not to rely on it else it will surely fail me when I need it most.

Then again, maybe I'm just a bit neo-Luddite.

I don't have it either, though it seems like it would be handy to have when you forget to lock it yourself.

The hatch might need adjusting too. There might even be a TSB about this. It's possible to close the hatch without it properly engaging the lock mechanism. The remote won't lock the car in that circumstance. I had that happen occasionally when I first got the car and I learned to more forcefully close it - a simple drop wasn't enough.
I have 2016 with same hatch closing issue, thought I'd throw it out there in case the hatch closing is found to be the problem,m). A new car WOULD NOT ''fix' this problem. She might want to try going into her car, close the door, start the car immediately after she has the lock issue. The door warning light should display if this is the cause of her issue. If the light is on, step of and reclose the hatch with more force. Thentest the auto lock again. Good luck.

First, make sure you know how walk away lock and the hatch works properly. There's a lot of misinformation on the forum and I'm surprised how many people get it wrong. If you exit the car, or approach the car and unlock and open any of the passenger doors, walk away lock will beep once when the doors are closed if you are still within a few feet of the car. If you walk away after hearing the one beep you should hear a second beep and the hazards will flash to confirm the doors are locked. If you hop out quickly and start walking away and close the door as you're walking away there's a chance you are outside the range when the door finally closes and walk away lock won't work.

Second, for the hatch, if the car is completely locked and you approach the hatch, opening the hatch does not unlock the car. The hatch has a sensor that only unlocks the hatch when the key is near the rear of the car. Once the hatch is closed and you walk away the hatch re-locks, but no beep or other signal is given. A lot of people get confused about this because they try to press the hatch open latch to make sure the hatch is locked, but as long as the key is present it won't lock. The best way to test it is to approach the rear with the car locked and open the hatch. Close it and walk away and leave the key 10 or so feet away and walk back and try to open the hatch and it won't open.

I'm unsure what memory settings you are referring to. There are no memory settings for anything besides radio presets. If they keep resetting it's possible she is pushing FM or Sirus more than once as each have 3 banks of presets. You can identify what bank she's in by the number at the end, e.g. FM1 FM2 FM3.

Never had any issues with my walk-away lock or hatch lock either..... now I get some squeaks on my power lock actuators at times but that is a different issue.

Thanks everyone for your timely responses. I'm here with her now and we will try out what you've all suggested. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Thanks again!

I just received better information form my Mom.
The memory settings she's talking about do in fact pertain to the radio. To be fair, the dealership replaced the radio in question. The problem remains. She said as she was driving it the other night, the radio went black. When it came back on, all the presets had vanished. This was the original problem with the radio and why they replaced it.

Ive had the same issue with my walk away locks on a 2016, and in some cases I think it may be the door bouncing in the seal triggering the door closed switch twice possibly.

Will the walk-away lock trigger if the keys are left inside the vehicle, or will it sense them and not lock/squeal at you?

Will the walk-away lock trigger if the keys are left inside the vehicle, or will it sense them and not lock/squeal at you?

Walk away will not work if a key is left in the vehicle, the car just won't lock even if you press the door button. If you do press the button with the key still in the vehicle, it will do a rapid beep to let you know.

I just received better information form my Mom.
The memory settings she's talking about do in fact pertain to the radio. To be fair, the dealership replaced the radio in question. The problem remains. She said as she was driving it the other night, the radio went black. When it came back on, all the presets had vanished. This was the original problem with the radio and why they replaced it.
Sounds like some sort of power connector issue, could be loose somewhere...

This is exactly the way my 2015 CX-5 behaves. My wife does not close the hatch with enough force and it will not lock!

Back