Turtle Wax Scratch Repair Kit

:
2020 CX-5
Last weekend I stupidly put a couple of scratches on the fender of my '16 putting the lawn mower away. They are not very deep and as far as I can see only affect the clearcoat. In the past I have had a body shop guy buff out similar scratches, which were pretty much invisible when he was done. I've been thinking of trying to fix these myself with the Turtle Wax Scratch Repair Kit. It gets decent marks on Amazon, so long as you follow the directions:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Anyone here tried this on a Mazda? Every car line has a slightly different paint formulation and what works on a Ford might not on a Mazda.

Thanks.

I have never found those over the counter scratch repair kits to be effective, especially since all the ones I've seen require buffing by hand. If your scratches are only into the clearcoat, wet sanding should not be required. Best way I have found to take them out is by using either an orbital or rotary (for more experienced users) polishing machine with a 3" pad to keep it localized. Sounds like that is what your body shop guy is doing successfully.

There are a bunch of polishing compounds available that will get the job done - I prefer the Menzerna and 3M products -

http://www.autogeek.net/swreandpo.html

you could try meguiars ultimate compound and ultimate polish combo. Do the compound first and follow with the polish. Machine polishing is best but you could do it by hand if they are small and you don't mind spending the time and effort.

you could try meguiars ultimate compound and ultimate polish combo. Do the compound first and follow with the polish. Machine polishing is best but you could do it by hand if they are small and you don't mind spending the time and effort.

i agree....i used that on mine to take some fine scratches out on mine then did the whole car with the polish....still looks good

For my ride's minor scratches, I brought mine to a body shop. Had it buffed and they applied a rubbing compound and the scratches were gone.

Back