Grand Touring Model Options

revets

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
I've got a 2016 CX5 Grand Touring AWD vehicle. It's got the 2.5 SKYACTIVE, leather, heated seats, Bose 9 speaker, moonroof, 19" alloy wheels, etc.
Been following the forum for awhile now and I've read a lot about how the GT model has to come with certain options because it's a "GT" with the tech package. My GT doesn't have the "i-ActivSense" tech package but does have Rear Vehicle Cross Traffic and Blind Spot Warning. I don't have Radar Cruise Control, Forward Obstruction or Lane Departure warnings. I don't have High Beam Control (HBC), Adaptive Front Lighting (AFS), Smart Brake Support (SBC) or Smart City Brake Support (SCBS). I don't have Navigation either. I enjoy being a driver, have a good driving record and hopefully some extra dollars in my pocket. I had to edit my post to say I wanted leather and heated seats which nudged me to the GT cost quite a few of those extra dollars i might add.

My curiosity is up though. Certainly you can get a GT with ALL the bells and whistles. What's the minimum "package" Mazda has put together for a Grand Touring?

mazidetails1_zpsy6er5pr2.jpg

Last edited:
Took a look at the build wizard. I pretty much have the no frills version. Don't think you can get much less. Thanks Kedis!

Like Kedis82ZE8 said, the best way to tell the differences among different trim level is go to Build A Vehicle section in Mazda USA website or download the CX-5 brochure in the old fashion way. But CX-5 GT comes with, in addition to Touring, 19" alloy wheels, leather seats, Bose system, moonroof, etc. I believe you missed out the optional "GT Tech Package" which has LED lightings with AFS, Navigation, Smart City Brake Support, and auto-dimmingmirror with Homelink. LED lightings with AFS alone are well worth the money for the package.

I wonder if a base GT is a rare build and might require ordering? When I bought my '15 it seemed all the of the GTs dealers had were fully loaded.

Not true, dealers have plenty of GT's sans Tech Package, plenty with the Tech Package. Very few with iActiveSense.

Not true, dealers have plenty of GT's sans Tech Package, plenty with the Tech Package. Very few with iActiveSense.

Is iActiveSense one of those 1 or 2 vehicle on the lot configs? As a gadget/home automation aficionado...I would be buying a '16 with iActiveSense if I didn't already have my '15. I understand though those who do not want to complicate the driving experience and/or limit exposure to future reliability issues as long term owners with the tech add-ons.

Is iActiveSense one of those 1 or 2 vehicle on the lot configs? As a gadget/home automation aficionado...I would be buying a '16 with iActiveSense if I didn't already have my '15. I understand though those who do not want to complicate the driving experience and/or limit exposure to future reliability issues as long term owners with the tech add-ons.

What is appealing about the IActiveSense is the SMART BRAKE SUPPORT and its ability to reduce a rear end collision on the highway (above 20mph) since it offers the ability for the radar and computer to stop the vehicle if it computes the CX5 is approaching an object too quickly and an accident is probable.

The HIGH BEAM CONTROL in the IActiveSense is also something I like because I travel rural roads and switching from low to high becomes a PIA. So having it automatic is a plus.

The DISTANCE RECOGNITION SUPPORT is neither here or there on my priority list but it comes with the IActiveSense package.

I am not worried about electronic tech gadgets since cars are SO filled with them anyway. Todays tech gadgets are pretty solid and if there are any problems they usually show up within the first few months of using the car, which is under warranty for 3 years. Car NANNIES are making cars safer. Especially since people are paying less attention to the road with their smartphones. Countless accidents have been prevented with SMART BRAKE. That $1,500 option is worth its weight in gold if it ever does save you from an accident.

Last edited:
The GT TECH PACKAGE is a must IMHO. For the $1,500 the LED headlights and tailights, the SMART CITY BRAKE and auto dimming mirrors and Homelink are great options.

Todays tech gadgets are pretty solid and if there are any problems they usually show up within the first few months of using the car, which is under warranty for 3 years.

While I generally agree with this... add the years on though and connections can fail. Areas with moisture exposure over the long term or a cold solder joint on electronics that finally lets go after enough vibration over the years. Electronics durability is somewhat of a subjective topic as so many throw away devices for faults that would cost a few dollars to fix.

I like to solder though.. fixed my hot tub last year and saved $1K not having to buy a new spa pack by soldering in a new 30 amp relay that cost $2.50.

That being said... I would still get i-Activesense. :)

Back