Backup Camera location

:
CX-5, fwd auto
I have not but still planning to add backup camera to base cx-5.
Can anyone share an experience, the location of backup camera, at factory location or top of license plate?
Which one would be better? (shield from rain etc.) Any comments will be great.
thanks

IMHO, going with the OEM location is a good way to dot it. At least someone thought about it before it was placed there. My b/u camera seems to work fine in the stock location.

I plan to install one on my 2016 base model (can't believe it's not standard on all). I never thought of installing it anywhere besides OEM. What are the benefits?

The local car audio shop doesn't have a kit for the current model year but offered a replacement rear view mirror with a camera embedded. Not sure if I like that idea (vs using the 7.1" screen). What brand are you looking at? Will you install yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan to install one on my 2016 base model (can't believe it's not standard on all). I never thought of installing it anywhere besides OEM. What are the benefits?

The local car audio shop doesn't have a kit for the current model year but offered a replacement rear view mirror with a camera embedded. Not sure if I like that idea (vs using the 7.1" screen). What brand are you looking at? Will you install yourself?
I think you should still consider those budget version rear view camera package with screen embedded into the rear view mirror. I originally thought the rear camera screen would be too small to see. But after I saw one on a Lexus CT 200h, I changed my mind as the image was very sharp and clear. It's very useful during the backing up. The OEM one with bigger 7" screen should be much better but you have to buy a 7" screen or a audio head unit with a screen which will cost more.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I wish the camera package was offered here north of the border, but I can't even get it from the dealer. I've only used a backup screen on a friend's car before and I found it unnerving to take my eyes off the mirrors when backing up - that's why I'm leaning towards a rearview mirror camera. The image is 4.3" would should be plenty. I'll have a look at the Lexus and see how their's compares.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back