Why do I buy a 2016 CX-5

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT with Tech
Hi Everyone, I currently own a 2004 Mazda 3 Sport hatchback. I have two daughters that play competitive hockey and I do coach and play as well. I am looking for a larger vehicle and have test-driven nearly every vehicle in this class. I am down to two choices, with the Mazda CX-5 GT with tech package being one of them (the Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited with Tech package is the other). I know that I am on a Mazda forum, however, what I am looking for is what I will love about this vehicle, and want to hear from other owners on their love for this vehicle and why. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. I do really enjoy driving this vehicle, just want to make sure it would be a good choice for me. Thanks for the help.

Once I decide a particular vehicle has the appropriate amount of luggage/passenger capacity to meet my needs, I looks at the seat comfort, ventilation, visibility, MPG, reliability,versatility of loading/unloading, and, most importantly, how it drives and feels.

So take longer test drives in the vehicles you have narrowed it down to and pick your weapon of choice. If you value the things I do, it will be no contest.

Car & Driver or was it Motor Trend, forgot, but they test drove both cars you mentioned and chose the CX5. They said the Subaru had lack luster steering and the interior and navigation systems were sub-par. They also criticized the CVT transmission but I don't know if yours has the CVT.

Subaru is a good car also. They had some issues with blown head gaskets in their engines.

Take both vehicles out longer on a test drive. Don't let the dealer give you a quick 2 mile drive. Ask them for a demo car if they are worried about adding mileage.

For what is it worth I was in the same boat roughly. I live in Ontario. I've got a 2006 Mazda 3 GT Sport. Got a toddler and was looking for something bigger.

I also considered the VW Tiguan and Subaru Forester XT. I liked how Mazda didn't need premium gas and it was cheaper for me to insure. I do wish it had power lift gates. But my wife and I have been quite happy with our CX-5 GT. It has more space than the old car for the baby stuff in the trunk, but doesn't cost much more to drive in terms of gas or insurance. For awhile I started off considering the Hyundai Sante Fe, but I didn't like the mileage and plus it seemed too big. We only have 1 kid right now and even in 10 years, one or more are not going to be THAT big yet.

I've had my Mazda 3 for almost 10 years and I've always liked driving it. The CX-5 seems no different, we like the new Mazda styling. You get a lot of nice features in the GT model. We didn't get the tech package because I wasn't interested in paying more for those features.

It sounds like your kids are older already and I know hockey requires a lot of gear so maybe that might be a reason to get something bigger. I guess you should test out how well all your bags fit in the CX-5.

What is the Canada Subaru warranty?

I just found out that Mazda Canada went to an Unlimited Mileage warranty. So if you drive more miles, you will make out better here...

"Introducing Mazda Unlimited – a first-of-its-kind warranty program that features unlimited mileage for our 3-YEAR New Vehicle, 3-YEAR Roadside Assistance, 5-YEAR Powertrain, and 7-YEAR Anti-Perforation warranties. Now there are no limits on how far you can go. This is the Mazda Way."

This is the Mazda Way."

Somehow I just knew you were going to steer the OP towards the CX-5.....I wonder why? ;)

Mazda's I have owned over the years.
80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
02' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current

The cx5 has very low operating costs, so far has proven very reliable, and offers a lot of feature for the money. It also has no fatal flaws like Hondas awd, or Subaru's cvt (some people don't like it. Others love it. Ymmv). I'd consider only the forester 2.0xt or cx5. For me it came down to perceived long term maintenance of a turbo vehicle vs.an NA vehicle.

For what is it worth I was in the same boat roughly. I live in Ontario. I've got a 2006 Mazda 3 GT Sport. Got a toddler and was looking for something bigger.

I also considered the VW Tiguan and Subaru Forester XT. I liked how Mazda didn't need premium gas and it was cheaper for me to insure. I do wish it had power lift gates. But my wife and I have been quite happy with our CX-5 GT. It has more space than the old car for the baby stuff in the trunk, but doesn't cost much more to drive in terms of gas or insurance. For awhile I started off considering the Hyundai Sante Fe, but I didn't like the mileage and plus it seemed too big. We only have 1 kid right now and even in 10 years, one or more are not going to be THAT big yet.

I've had my Mazda 3 for almost 10 years and I've always liked driving it. The CX-5 seems no different, we like the new Mazda styling. You get a lot of nice features in the GT model. We didn't get the tech package because I wasn't interested in paying more for those features.

It sounds like your kids are older already and I know hockey requires a lot of gear so maybe that might be a reason to get something bigger. I guess you should test out how well all your bags fit in the CX-5.

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I am going through. I as well looked at both the Santa Fe (agree with the size and the mileage) and found the Tiguan just a little too small. I have tested out how all the gear fits in both vehicles, and both were acceptable, however, the 40-20-40 back seat split is nice to have for hockey sticks. I also love Mazda styling, and love the ride of my Mazda 3, so this seems like a natural upgrade. Thanks for the advice.

Thank-you for responding thus far. I do like the transmission in the Mazda much better than the CVT of the Subaru. The warranty is acceptable for both companies, and I will not likely need the unlimited kilometres, however, it is nice to have. I would have to say that I do indeed like the Mazda a little more, but the vision in the Subaru is fantastic, thus a very safe vehicle. I have had the time to do a couple of good rides in both vehicles, and like the ride and comfort of the Mazda better. I would not consider the turbo because of premium gasoline, so that is indeed a negative there. I am leaning toward the CX-5, just really wanted to confirm that I am indeed going to purchase a great vehicle. I like to do my due diligence for any large purchase, and this helps. Thanks to all who have responded.

Hi Everyone, I currently own a 2004 Mazda 3 Sport hatchback. I have two daughters that play competitive hockey and I do coach and play as well. I am looking for a larger vehicle and have test-driven nearly every vehicle in this class. I am down to two choices, with the Mazda CX-5 GT with tech package being one of them (the Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited with Tech package is the other). I know that I am on a Mazda forum, however, what I am looking for is what I will love about this vehicle, and want to hear from other owners on their love for this vehicle and why. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. I do really enjoy driving this vehicle, just want to make sure it would be a good choice for me. Thanks for the help.

So, you must have posted on a Subaru message board? What did they tell you to buy and why? (shady)

I actually did not post on a Subaru board, mostly because I was already leaning toward the CX-5. The financing rate is also much better on the Mazda which makes the vehicle much more affordable too (always important).

I actually did not post on a Subaru board, mostly because I was already leaning toward the CX-5. The financing rate is also much better on the Mazda which makes the vehicle much more affordable too (always important).

Curious what rate? I go through a credit union and they don't care. Ended up with 2.67% on my CX-5 for 78mo. At 2.67%, I figured I'd drag it out as long as possible on paper, and just pay it off early in reality, thus cutting effective interest by 1/3 or so.

I posted there previously. Subaru, of course. Because of the real AWD system, mainly.

That is a real poor reason they gave you. Unless of course, your primary driving will be climbing sheets of wetted polyethylene on a 30 degree angle.

Because of an owner loyalty program (already owning a Mazda), I can get a rate of 0% for 60 months, compared to 3.9% for 60 months with the Subaru. I could contact the bank and see what kind of rate I would get, but nothing beats 0%.

Curious what rate? I go through a credit union and they don't care. Ended up with 2.67% on my CX-5 for 78mo. At 2.67%, I figured I'd drag it out as long as possible on paper, and just pay it off early in reality, thus cutting effective interest by 1/3 or so.

Because of a loyalty program (I currently own a Mazda), I will get a rate of 0% over 60 months (1% lower than posted rate for the CX-5). With the Subaru, I am only getting a rate of 3.9% over 60 months. I could try the bank, however, they will not get anywhere near 0%.

... I would not consider the turbo because of premium gasoline, so that is indeed a negative there. I am leaning toward the CX-5,
Consumer Reports finds some newer cars burn too much oil, and Subaru is one of the worst three:

"Several engines from three manufacturers were the main offenders, according to the magazine. Those include Audi's 2.0-liter turbocharged four cylinder and 3.0-liter V6; BMW's 4.8 liter V8 and 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8; and Subaru's 3.6 liter six-cylinder and 2.0- and 2.5-liter four-cylinder engines. The Subarus burned less oil than the others.

Affected models include Audi's A3, A4, A5, A6 and Q5; BMW's 5, 6, and 7 Series and X5; and the Subaru Outback, Legacy, Forester and Impreza.
"

Consumer Reports finds some newer cars burn too much oil, and Subaru is one of the worst three:

"Several engines from three manufacturers were the main offenders, according to the magazine. Those include Audi's 2.0-liter turbocharged four cylinder and 3.0-liter V6; BMW's 4.8 liter V8 and 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8; and Subaru's 3.6 liter six-cylinder and 2.0- and 2.5-liter four-cylinder engines. The Subarus burned less oil than the others.

Affected models include Audi's A3, A4, A5, A6 and Q5; BMW's 5, 6, and 7 Series and X5; and the Subaru Outback, Legacy, Forester and Impreza.
"
I know what it says, but I also don't know anyone who has any issues with their Subaru.

Back