Is Soul Red a hard color to maintain?

littlebear

:
2017 Mazda CX5
C&D did an article on car colors and most cars sold come in shades of gray. I really like the Soul Red color but will it be a hard to maintain color on a CUV?

No harder than my Sky Blue Mica. Go for it; don't add yet another boring grey/silver/black/white vehicle to the American automobile landscape!

No harder than my Sky Blue Mica. Go for it; don't add yet another boring grey/silver/black/white vehicle to the American automobile landscape!

True, the amount of grey vehicles on the US roads was mind boggling from that article. I also think the brighter cars like red make the car more visible to traffic.

C&D did an article on car colors and most cars sold come in shades of gray. I really like the Soul Red color but will it be a hard to maintain color on a CUV?
I totally agree! If you like the Soul Red, go for it. It looks really nice even if you have to pay $300 MSRP extra! I'm too lazy and we settled for the Sonic Silver so that I can wash the car once a year... (whistle)

Not trying to discourage you, but keep in mind the Soul Red is a tri-stage paint process with a base coat, translucent coat and clear coat. This is why the color looks different in various shades of light and this is also why it costs an extra $300 in US. What this also means is, it will be near impossible to match the color if you have to repaint a body part. The touch up paint pen won't help much because it has a blend of all three coats and it is a very poor match. Just google it and you'll see what I'm saying.

All this said, I still went ahead and bought the Soul Red because I fell in love with how it looks on this car. It is a brilliant color and more importantly it suits the car extremely well.

I would also recommend installing a clearbra if you choose Soul Red because you won't be able to match the color with a touch up paint in case of any rock chips on the bumper.

Not trying to discourage you, but keep in mind the Soul Red is a tri-stage paint process with a base coat, translucent coat and clear coat. This is why the color looks different in various shades of light and this is also why it costs an extra $300 in US. What this also means is, it will be near impossible to match the color if you have to repaint a body part. The touch up paint pen won't help much because it has a blend of all three coats and it is a very poor match. Just google it and you'll see what I'm saying.

All this said, I still went ahead and bought the Soul Red because I fell in love with how it looks on this car. It is a brilliant color and more importantly it suits the car extremely well.

I would also recommend installing a clearbra if you choose Soul Red because you won't be able to match the color with a touch up paint in case of any rock chips on the bumper.
All very good points. In choosing a color like SR, one must consider how carefull they are with paint finishes and what kind of environment the vehicle will exist in. My SBM 2013 is garaged, I'm super careful about where I park it and I keep it clean and waxed on a regular basis. It looks as good as the day I bought it and doesn't have a scratch or nick on it.

Was sitting in showroom already deceided on the white one,when a salesperson brought up a SoulRed,,, changed my mind instantly the red chages color from a reddish burnt orange in bright sun to a red to a stunning dark cherry or red wineish type color in the evening... and the body lines accent the paint perfectly

Was sitting in showroom already deceided on the white one,when a salesperson brought up a SoulRed,,, changed my mind instantly the red chages color from a reddish burnt orange in bright sun to a red to a stunning dark cherry or red wineish type color in the evening... and the body lines accent the paint perfectly

This is exactly why color match will be a challenge if you have to repaint in future.

I went to dealership to buy a Deep Blue Mica. The test drive car was a Soul Red and it changed my mind instantly. It's truly a beautiful color. I hope it ages well, unlike those faded reds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didn't even have red on our list. But when we went to the dealer, there was a Soul Red M6 sitting there on display in the sun. Have to admit, it looked pretty darn good. Wife automatically said she would like that color. Umm, we now have a SR CX5.
Anyways, its no harder to keep clean than any other color. However I did find that any rock chip showed a white primer, so before I took delivery we had the full 3M pkg installed. After a year, still looks great.
As for the complex paint, (that would bother me if it didn't match), I've seen a Red CX5 (2 seperate visits to the body shop), and they did an excellent job on paint matching, so that maybe nothing to worry about if it ever happens to ours.
If you like the color, go for it.

I love Soul Red even if I have a Sonic Silver. I bought the demo in the showroom to save a few bucks so no choice of color for me...I love how the taillights blend with the paint but I also like the contrasting effect Pearl White (my other preferred color) has. I've had 5 white/pearl white vehicles so far!

If you go shopping for a Mazda on a sunny day, chances are your might get a Soul Red. It looks amazing under the sunlight.
Arunka007 said what I wanted to.... I want to repeat it again. Soul red is hard to color match in painting .... I got one ('14 Mazda3 Soul Red). I should know.... :(
After a few years (mine is 6 yr old), the paint on the bumper starts to look more different than when it was new... vs. paint on metal.. looks darker on the bumper. No such issue with Deep Blue or Sonic Silver.. The other two color on our Mazdas.

That color could also be called Candy Apple Red Metallic as it makes my mouth water every time I see one!

When you get your soul red, make sure you get a good reflection directly in sunlight so you can see the marvelous swirls that are included at no extra cost

When you get your soul red, make sure you get a good reflection directly in sunlight so you can see the marvelous swirls that are included at no extra cost

To be fair, those swirls come at no extra cost for almost any car washed by someone incorrectly :) . Colour doesn't matter, even make and model don't matter as much as they used to.

Get the car detailed by a professional independent detailer, use good washing techniques and good microfiber towels, and you'll have a swirl-free car for years to come.

To be fair, those swirls come at no extra cost for almost any car washed by someone incorrectly :) . Colour doesn't matter, even make and model don't matter as much as they used to.

Get the car detailed by a professional independent detailer, use good washing techniques and good microfiber towels, and you'll have a swirl-free car for years to come.
not really, as even hand washing with microfibers will leave marks. And as far as color, it's not that all colors mar, it's that white and silver show less, white almost non existent to the eye.

not really, as even hand washing with microfibers will leave marks. And as far as color, it's not that all colors mar, it's that white and silver show less, white almost non existent to the eye.
That's why my last 5 vehicles have been silver. When I was younger I would sometimes wash my vehicles multiple times a week. I've had just about every color except red (just not a red person). Silver has just become my "lazy man" color as I've gotten older perhaps.

I'm not saying that proper care wont help reduce these, I'm saying that if you look at any car in the sun you'll see them, and that they really 'pop' on darker cars and are less visible on light silver and barely visible on white.

PXL_20210131_183707437_2.jpg

Yes really, I'll use my car as an example. My machine grey metallic CX-9 is driven daily and washed fairly often, usually once or twice a week as weather permits. I use a pressure washer, foam gun, and good microfiber towels (not the Kirkland branded ones). My car is 3 years old and has about the same amount of swirling as it did when it was delivered. In fact, if it wasn't for the original swirls from the dealer, wear and tear scratches from my wife's handbags, and the repainted rear fenders and rear bumper (paint is perfect but clear is very soft), my car would look brand new.

Technique is important. But yes, if you want more margin for error, get a colour that hides the swirling better, like white.

I'm not saying that proper care wont help reduce these, I'm saying that if you look at any car in the sun you'll see them, and that they really 'pop' on darker cars and are less visible on light silver and barely visible on white.

View attachment 294755

You won't see them on my car ;)

I'd buy a soul red Mazda in heartbeat.

I am about to order a CX5 (again) in the UK. I have a White one, I want a Soul Red, but sooooo many reports of chipping and scratching. I have had a car before with 3M PPF, are these issues sorted? In the UK we still get stone chipping (rock chips), I found the white paint on my CX5 to be soft but not too bad for chips. Any feedback on the current Soul Red of years maybe a year or 2 old?

I use Cquartz and DA to keep the paint in good condition.

Thanks guys.

James (London)

Back