Model T off-road

Amazing what the old cars did back then, and the engines had enough torque to get them where they were going. I believe it was in the area of about 90 ft/lbs pushing a 1300 pound car. Roku has an old auto channel I watch from time to time that shows clips similar to this. Amazing what was considered high-tech back then.

Last edited:
Interesting video. There was a model T in the garage of the house my parents bought back in 1963. I remember seeing it, but it was not there for long. Someone came and hauled it away.

Lots of stories in my family about them...

..my dad's first car, a grandfather broke a nose somehow off the hand start, the same grandfather used to travel across Snoqualmie Pass all year round in one during the 1920's to & from college

My other grandfather used one as a farm truck in the day

Lots of stories in my family about them...

..my dad's first car, a grandfather broke a nose somehow off the hand start, the same grandfather used to travel across Snoqualmie Pass all year round in one during the 1920's to & from college

My other grandfather used one as a farm truck in the day

And people refuse to buy cars now because of infotainment issues. (headshake

And no memory seats. Those seats weren't even adjustable. And they came in any color you wanted (as long as it was black).

This shows you don't need AWD to do a little light off-roading:
http://safeshare.tv/w/ShbgvwazCZ
The whole video is interesting but the off-road footage doesn't start until after 4:15.
I'd been told a while ago when we're in Iowa that the reason why the VW bug is doing well in the wintery snowing condition is because the tires are narrow in addition to the rear engine which adds the weight on the driving tires. The narrow tires are easier to cut into the snow or dirt which actually add traction. The super narrow tires on Model T could be the reason why it was doing well in off road condition in the video. (whistle)

And no memory seats. Those seats weren't even adjustable. And they came in any color you wanted (as long as it was black).
But would you settle for a new car with hand crank engine start feature like Ford Model T? (headshake

Yeah, I complain a lot about the lack of memory seat on CX-5 because each time I get a chance to drive our CX-5, it reminds me the convenience of having it. All other competitors have it. There is no excuse not to have it even the older Mazda3 has it.

But we still bought a CX-5 due to other nice features, especially the SkyActiv Technology and LED lighting system with AFS!

Back