Question on SCBS and/or related feature in CX-5

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
I have a 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech Package. I don't have iActivSense package. This means, my car has Smart City Brake Support, but not Lane Departure Warning.

Today I parked at a different garage where the gate works only if the car is very close to it. Knowing this, I moved the car very slowly towards the garage gate. Sure enough the gate opened, but my car made some weird noise (somewhat like running over Rumble Strips) and I felt the car vibrate slightly. The SCBS did not deploy. I have had that deploy once and there was a big red indicator on the dash saying SCBS is enabled. There was none this time.

This is weird because there are no Rumble Strips at that entrance. So my hunch was that I scratched the car on something. I parked immediately and inspected the whole body of the car. No scratches or damage. Walked over to the parking gate and checked whether they installed new rumble strips. None.

So, what the hell happened? Does this car have some kind of security/warning feature (other than SCBS) if it's too close to something and moving very slowly? Or was it my imagination?

Last edited:
Sure sounds like your SCBS kicked in. I have a '14 and to my knowledge no light comes on on the dash when it kicks in, at least not one that I've noticed.

Mine went off once from getting too close to the garage door too - it sounded like anti-lock bakes going off and on the right in bold red and black it should display "BRAKE" like the below image - at least that's what mine did.

Could be a long shot, but maybe you hit the brake yourself at the exact same time the car was about to do it for you and the car didn't get a chance to display on the screen but the noise was the brake system just starting to kick in before canceling due to your input? If you were going as slow as you describe, it may have been possible.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mine went off once from getting too close to the garage door too - it sounded like anti-lock bakes going off and on the right in bold red and black it should display "BRAKE" like the below image - at least that's what mine did.

Could be a long shot, but maybe you hit the brake yourself at the exact same time the car was about to do it for you and the car didn't get a chance to display on the screen but the noise was the brake system just starting to kick in before canceling due to your input? If you were going as slow as you describe, it may have been possible.

This could be true actually. My foot was on the brake because the entrance to the garage is a slight slope and I was trying to move slowly by slowly releasing the brakes. And the sound I heard was exactly like an ABS system in action.

When the SCBS deployed previously, I clearly remember seeing 'SCBS activated (or enabled)' instead of just 'Brake'. But, the display looked exactly like in your pic. Red and black.

Test drove a new model recently, a car infront turned off the road, the road was quiet so I pulled out a little to pass it so I didn't have to slow down, got a vibration and that brake symbol flashing, car didn't brake itself though, happened really fast I just a had a millisecond to see it. Sure it felt like the steering wheel vibrating but it was over in the blink of an eye. I was quite far from the car that was turning off too, seems a bit sensitive to me.

If it is SCBS, you will hear a beeping right before it brakes on its own. i've heard the beeping as i approached by workplace exit gate too fast...but once i was approaching so fast that the brake activated (and it was HARSH!). but that is the one time it proved to me that my car actually has SCBS.

This could be true actually. My foot was on the brake because the entrance to the garage is a slight slope and I was trying to move slowly by slowly releasing the brakes. And the sound I heard was exactly like an ABS system in action.

When the SCBS deployed previously, I clearly remember seeing 'SCBS activated (or enabled)' instead of just 'Brake'. But, the display looked exactly like in your pic. Red and black.

I think you are right - if memory serves me right, it had the red "Brake" first as the warning, but once it actually kicked in and stopped the car, it just said "SCBS Enabled" or something like that.

Back