Fabric sound insulation in wheel wells

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
I just acquired a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT and noticed the fabric material in the wheel wells, presumably to provide some sound proofing. I live in Canada and obviously we get snow up here in the winter. I'm thinking that the snow is going to build up in the wheel wells as a result of this material. Does anybody have experience with this type of sound proofing material in wheel wells during the snowy months?

Mazda and other Japanese carmakers have been using that material for years. I'm sure they would have found an alternative if snow buildup was a problem.

I just acquired a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT and noticed the fabric material in the wheel wells, presumably to provide some sound proofing. I live in Canada and obviously we get snow up here in the winter. I'm thinking that the snow is going to build up in the wheel wells as a result of this material. Does anybody have experience with this type of sound proofing material in wheel wells during the snowy months?

Three winters here in Washington State with thousands of miles in snow/ice including untracked snow over 8 inches deep, both wet and dry types, on and off-road without issue. That said, I've seen snow pack into wheel wells of many different types of vehicles but have never seen it cause a problem. I imagine it's possible snow/slush could build up and then freeze solid such that it prevented the suspension from full travel but I've never seen this happen and I don't think it's any more or less likely to happen on a Mazda vs. any other vehicle. Just think, snow/slush can coat a surface made of any material (including normal spray-on undercoating) and once there is a coating of snow/slush, the surface is snow/slush so it's no more or less likely to likely to continue to build-up regardless of what's underneath.

Last edited:
Try the search function on this site. This has been covered a number of times. As others have said, this material has been used for years by a number of manufacturers. Nothing to worry about. It's not like this is Mazda's first car to build.

I noticed the same stuff in the wife's Honda. We bought that car at the end of 2012. No problem with it yet.

Back