SCBS Reverse Malfunction Warning Message

limleong

:
CX5
My 6 weeks old CX-5 is displaying "SCBS Reverse Malfunction" Message everytime I put the car into reverse gear today. At first I thought the ultrasonic sensor on the bumper might be obstructed. However there is nothing obstructing the sensor.

It is now into the weekend and the service department is closed. Has anyone had this problem before.

I guess the more technology a car has the more things could go wrong. Pretty annoying though for such a new car.

Last edited:
Hi,I have got exactly the same problem on a new cx5. It is due for a check on August 12. Have you found any explanation? I will post here if I get a solution. Regards

Hopefully the service department can look at the problem tomorrow. I suspect it is a sensor fault or a wiring fault. Disappointing for a new car. However this car has something like 10 sensors. More sensors Mean more things to go wrong. Still one would have hoped that QA would pick up the fault at factory or pre delivery. Will report back once I can get more information.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment. My dealership could not find the fault in a quick check and therefore the car will be taken in for a thorough check Aug 12. But they thought it might have something to do with the fitting of the Mazda tow hook (maybe wrong wiring or sth). I will have to wait and see. Looking forward to hearing from you about a solution, if you find it.

Thanks for the comment. My dealership could not find the fault in a quick check and therefore the car will be taken in for a thorough check Aug 12. But they thought it might have something to do with the fitting of the Mazda tow hook (maybe wrong wiring or sth). I will have to wait and see. Looking forward to hearing from you about a solution, if you find it.

Interesting comment from your dealer.

My car is now with the dealer for 2 days. They could not figure out what is wrong because this model is quite new and only the facelift model has the SCBS Reverse functionality. The service department is consulting with Mazda NZ head office and possibly Mazda Japan as well. Got a call today and they now suspect may have something to do with the tow bar.

The tow bar and wiring are genuine Mazda NZ OE accessories fitted by the Dealer. So if there is a conflict they will have to sort it out as everything is OE. Hope the root cause can be found soon. It it annoying to have a new car having a problem. No idea how long the car is staying with the service department. We were given a loan CX-5 so I would rather they find the root causes and fix the problem.

Last edited:
Well, this is really getting interesting. The tow bar and wiring are also genuine Mazda in my case and fitted by the dealer. The car is also the new face lift model with the 175 hp diesel engine. I wait for your further news on this. As said earlier, mine is not going to be checked until Aug 12.

Well, this is really getting interesting. The tow bar and wiring are also genuine Mazda in my case and fitted by the dealer. The car is also the new face lift model with the 175 hp diesel engine. I wait for your further news on this. As said earlier, mine is not going to be checked until Aug 12.

Hi iKing. The verdict is out and it is the tow bar wiring conflicting with the SCBS electronics. I received a call late today from the service department. They have to replace the tow bar wiring. I suspect the tow bar wiring for the pre face lift model and post face lift model has to be different because the face lift model has SCBS Reverse functionality. Someone in Mazda obviously did not do enough testing. Picking up the car tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this problem is fixed once and for all.

Good luck to your fix as well. Sounded like exactly the same problem as mine.

Last edited:
Thanks limleong. I will make sure to supply this information to the Mazda Iceland dealer when taking the car there. Yes, fingers crossed too that this will be solved for good. I will of course report back here in any case, when the matter is finally concluded. Thanks again. Have a nice day(or evening, we are 12 hours apart):)

By the way, did you get that error message "SCBS Reverse Malfunction" immediately after installing the Tow bar and wiring? Or was the car OK at first and did that message then come up some days or weeks later? I am just curious about this, because I had the the tow bar installed before getting the car delivered new to me. It was only 5-6 weeks later that I noticed the error message. If you had a similar experience, did your service department have any explanation of that in particular?

By the way, did you get that error message "SCBS Reverse Malfunction" immediately after installing the Tow bar and wiring? Or was the car OK at first and did that message then come up some days or weeks later? I am just curious about this, because I had the the tow bar installed before getting the car delivered new to me. It was only 5-6 weeks later that I noticed the error message. If you had a similar experience, did your service department have any explanation of that in particular?

No error message upon pick up from dealer as a new car. The error only surfaced after about 6 weeks. Very strange as I thought a wiring problem will force an error immediately but not in this case. Must be some kind of subtle conflict. No other explanation from service department other than the wiring is a problem. Your case sounded exactly like mine !

Hi iKing,

I was passing by the dealership today and decided to pop in. I was talking to the salesperson who sold me the car. While he did not have the details on solution to the problem, he was saying the problem is a combination of software and hardware conflict. I know the the software was upgraded as well because all the old settings were gone.

So this is probably a case of some kind of hardware conflicts with software. Modern cars are as much a computer as a mechanical device. When things do go wrong it could be hard to pinpoint exactly where the problem is.

Hi iKing,

I was passing by the dealership today and decided to pop in. I was talking to the salesperson who sold me the car. While he did not have the details on solution to the problem, he was saying the problem is a combination of software and hardware conflict. I know the the software was upgraded as well because all the old settings were gone.

So this is probably a case of some kind of hardware conflicts with software. Modern cars are as much a computer as a mechanical device. When things do go wrong it could be hard to pinpoint exactly where the problem is.

Hi again, thanks for these points. I will keep them in mind when I take the car to the dealer on wednesday. Will inform you about any details that I may learn. Regards, Ingi

Hi guys, I have the exact same problem on my 2016 cx5. I have today talked with Mazda Denmark, and a fix have gone live late last week from the factory. Contact your local dealer and have them do the arrangements. I believe it was a circuit board that needs to be replaced with an updated version, my dealer have ordered the new one today.

Hi, I brought mine to the dealer this morning but they were unprepared, so I went without a solution. They claim that it is only a software update that is needed. But they could not fix it because they had not received the update from Mazda. So I will have to wait and see.

limleong, I take it that your car has been fixed now. Can you tell me, was it just a software update or did some wiring/circuit board need to be replaced too?

Mazda told me, that the fix / part is model depending. Mine is an Optimum, 2.5L AWD fully loaded tech package, and it requires a replacement part. Service is booked for next week.

Mazda told me, that the fix / part is model depending. Mine is an Optimum, 2.5L AWD fully loaded tech package, and it requires a replacement part. Service is booked for next week.

Mine is Optimum 175hp diesel, so it is probably the same situation as yours. The information I got this morning may have been inaccurate. I will give them at the dealership a couple of weeks and then check with them again.

Hi, I brought mine to the dealer this morning but they were unprepared, so I went without a solution. They claim that it is only a software update that is needed. But they could not fix it because they had not received the update from Mazda. So I will have to wait and see.

limleong, I take it that your car has been fixed now. Can you tell me, was it just a software update or did some wiring/circuit board need to be replaced too?

Hi iKing,

Yes. My car appeared to have been fixed now. It is a top spec NZ version of the Diesel CX-5. Sounded like the Euro Spec CX-5 is very similar.

I did not manage to get the actual service sheet from the dealer but was told by the salesperson when I visited him that it is a combination of software and hardware conflicts. This kind of makes sense because the warning message only occured after approx 6 weeks. If it is a pure hardware problem, the problem should have been there from day one.

The car was with the delear for 3 days and they were having to consult with Mazda NZ and Mazda Japan before a solution is found. I am hoping this is the permanent fix.

Hi Donnielund,

Do you have a tow bar fitted to your CX-5? I am trying to see if there is a pattern with this particular malfunction and tow bar.

Last edited:
Hi limleong, yes I have a tow bar fitted. Mazda told me, same as you, that its a hardware / software issue, related to the wiring and "circuit board" (See me previous post, I will know what they replace next week). SCBS system is not functioning at all before this small panel / board have been replaced, at least this was what I have been told.

I try to get some detailed information next week.

Hi limleong, yes I have a tow bar fitted. Mazda told me, same as you, that its a hardware / software issue, related to the wiring and "circuit board" (See me previous post, I will know what they replace next week). SCBS system is not functioning at all before this small panel / board have been replaced, at least this was what I have been told.

I try to get some detailed information next week.

Hi donnielund. I think there is a general pattern here. Cars with tow bar fitted have problems with SCBS Reverse functionality. I am assuming you have OE Madza tow bar fitted as well.

I think the only saving grace for all of us is that it is OE tow bar and Mazda cannot point finger at someone else !

Back