2013 CX-5 AC Not Working

indigojr

:
CX-5 GS 2013
Not sure if this was addressed in another post but having some AC issues on my CX-5 2013.

The clutch of the compressor is not engaging and of course I just crossed the mileage on the warranty.... NOTE: I have rarely used my AC in the past probably less then 10times in the last years since new. I know this is probably not the best, but $$$ be tight.

Anyways, any suggestions on where to start, I've read either pressure sensor may be preventing the clutch to engage as part of a fail safe.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum! I see this is your first post.

The CX-5 has a state of the art AC system. Highly reliable, very efficient.

It's odd that your A/C clutch is not working because there is no clutch.

I wonder if it's the same AC compressor that my 09 Mazda 5 had. Those were notorious for going out. Can you see it? Does it say Panasonic on it?

further analysis, cooling fan on the front also not spinning... Pressure sensor switch cleaned and plugged back in. Still no cold. Is this related to a low freon state, not enough pressure to operate system? Caused by leak within the system?

Pretty sure there is a clutch attached to compressor that spins along with. Or if not called clutch another circular flyweight that can be moved by hand and spun, but not spinning. But i guess you know that with 1,800+ Forum Posts.

Thank you for the welcome.

If you are just slightly over the warranty, the dealer may befriend you as a Good will gesture. Give it a try before doing anything. Ed

$120CDN ($0.57US) for a diagnose... Could be worth it, if its just a relay price is less then mentioned.... What a shame. Hopefully something small, will report back with solution and actions.

WOW 120 CDN just to diagnosis is a bit much. I think I would a least check the fuses and see if the relay contacts are clean before taking it in. In addition there is a wire supplying power to the AC clutch. See if it is still attached as maybe it got disconnected somehow during an oil change or?. ED

Pretty sure there is a clutch attached to compressor that spins along with.

My mistake, there is an electric clutch for the A/C.

Yes, check the wiring to the clutch and also the wiring to the sensor on one of the refrigerant lines on the far left-top side of the engine bay.
I bet it's something simple.

Pretty sure there is a clutch attached to compressor that spins along with. Or if not called clutch another circular flyweight that can be moved by hand and spun, but not spinning. But i guess you know that with 1,800+ Forum Posts.
Thank you for the welcome.

Is clutch activating when you turn on AC? Do you hear a loud click under hood when someone inside cab turns on AC? If so, and AC compressor still is not turning, it could be easy fix. Typically the clutch wheel that engages can sheer, and is made to do so if compressor locks up. End result will be compressor pulley spins, but center of pulley does not turn compressor. Usually you can take off clutch plate with one screw on face of compressor. Happened on a Ford I had. Dealer wanted $500. I replaced plate for $50.

If clutch does not activate when you turn on AC, it could be loss of refrigerant. If sensor detects no freon pressure, it won't let AC turn on.

Last edited:
When I saw MikeM. made this statement, I was scrambling all over the Internet trying to find any info I may missed for a SkyActiv AC Compressor which has no clutch ... (whistle)

Back