Fog Lights

oljonb

:
2015 Mazda 5 Sport
Hi Gang --

Just found the Mazda Forum. I just purchased a 2015 Mazda 5 Sport and would like to install fog lights in it. There seems to be a lot of options and a lot of opinions out there. Can someone please clarify some things and get me headed in the right direction?

I see a set of fog lights listed for it at $237.97. Is this a good price or can I do better, if so, where?

Is the wiring harness already installed in the vehicle?

Do I need a new switch on the stalk to accommodate the fog lights? If so, where's the best place to find one?

And anything else you think I should know. For instance I've read opinions that I either do or do not have to remove the bumper to install them, that the wiring harness to accommodate the bulbs is either there and plugged into a dummy plug, or it is not, etc. I intend to have a mechanic friend do the installation.

I'd really appreciate your contacting me by e-mail at: jnjoakleaf@mchsi.com

Thanks in advance.

Jon

I've had success with spyder aftermarket fogs on my 3... I'll see if they have something for the 5.

The spyder kits, and likely others, come with writing and a dedicated fog light switch that you would mount in the blank bank off switch covers above your left knee in the driver's seat

Thanks for getting me headed in the right direction.

I've had success with spyder aftermarket fogs on my 3... I'll see if they have something for the 5.

The spyder kits, and likely others, come with writing and a dedicated fog light switch that you would mount in the blank bank off switch covers above your left knee in the driver's seat

I couldn't find anything... Maybe pickup OEM replacement fog light assemblies and a fog light relay wiring kit? That's would be the easier diy route. Your other option is picking up generic fogs that closely match the size of the cutouts and figuring out how to mount them.

I have found

Thanks. I have found aftermarket same-as-original-equipment light units and a replacement switch also on the Internet. And I have come across information that some say, even though my 5 Sport does not have fog lights installed, the wiring harness to hook them up is lurking there behind the fog light opening covers. Also I've run across instructions on how to install the lights, some say the bumper has to be removed, but others disagree. So, I was hoping to find a definitive answer from someone on the Forum who really knows. Jon

There is a very, very high likelihood that the wiring to the fogs is there, but you don't have the control stick that has the switch to turn them on, so you would need to buy that (link).

You absolutely want to drop the bumper, install will be a million times easier than trying to work in those very cramped spaces.

You should be able to see the end of the harness just from looking up under the car after removing the splash guard on stands / ramp.

I would think if the wiring is there the fog relay would also be in your car but really do not know... Seems like you may need to be the guinea pig.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation and source. As I said in an earlier post, I have found exact replacements for the lights and also located a new original Mazda5 light switch on eBay, which I'm following and is listed for $37.
Guess I need to make friends with the service tech that works on the "5's" and ask about the harness. I have to get the machine in as soon as the last of my "accessories" arrive for a surface and undercoating treatment and the installation of a trailer hitch, which I have, to mount the rack for my recumbent trike (Catrike Expedition, if you're curious) and a Mazda roof rack and bumper guard.
The service manager I talk to said she had no problem with their service department installing the after market hitch, so I'm sure I could get the tech to do the work. Been way too long since I've worked on cars and don't even have ramps or metric tools anymore. And, at my age, I don't intend to tackle something for I have no idea what I'm doing. I probably wouldn't even have thought to disconnect the battery....

Last edited:
Hi. How did the fog lights job go? Please let us know the details. I am interested in getting them also. Thank you.

Thanks for the confirmation and source. As I said in an earlier post, I have found exact replacements for the lights and also located a new original Mazda5 light switch on eBay, which I'm following and is listed for $37.
Guess I need to make friends with the service tech that works on the "5's" and ask about the harness. I have to get the machine in as soon as the last of my "accessories" arrive for a surface and undercoating treatment and the installation of a trailer hitch, which I have, to mount the rack for my recumbent trike (Catrike Expedition, if you're curious) and a Mazda roof rack and bumper guard.
The service manager I talk to said she had no problem with their service department installing the after market hitch, so I'm sure I could get the tech to do the work. Been way too long since I've worked on cars and don't even have ramps or metric tools anymore. And, at my age, I don't intend to tackle something for I have no idea what I'm doing. I probably wouldn't even have thought to disconnect the battery....

Back