Licence Plate Bulb Stuck

userofreality

:
mazda cx5
Hey Everyone...

Long time reader, first time writer!

Loving my Mazda Cx 5 2016 GT Non Tech.

Already Upgraded some bulbs around the vehicle, but I can't get the licence plate bulbs out for the life of me!

Removing the opaque plastic shield is no biggie... but pulling the blubs strait out of the socket is quite challenging with the hatch handle limiting clearance to maybe 1.5 inches.

What is the trick???

I tried rubber gloves, I tried multiple sized hands... i tried a needle nose pliers..

Do they twist???

Thank in advance!

Yeah, I bought the LED bulb replacement kit and did all but the license plate bulbs... got too scared yanking on one of them

I pulled and replaced mine yesterday. No trick really, just be patient and pull. It will likely not come out on the first try. I did wiggle mine a bit side to side first.

I pulled and replaced mine yesterday. No trick really, just be patient and pull. It will likely not come out on the first try. I did wiggle mine a bit side to side first.
Saw someone in Amazon commented: "... The only little problem that I had was when I put the 2 bulbs in the license plate area the brightness of the new bulbs made the back up monitor have a slight glare to it and was a littlie difficult to see what was behind you. I left the bulbs in mostly because I do not drive that much at night." Do you guys have similar experience on this? Which LED kit were you guys getting from?

I got these (194_4_HPF_W_5K 5K WHITE 4 LED 2 WATT HP FLANK BULBS 194 168 158 | 1 PAIR) from VLEDS.COM and don't feel that they interfere with the backup camera at all.

I bought the kit from Amazon linked in the "How to with pictures" thread. It has not affected the backup camera as far as I can tell.

I got these (194_4_HPF_W_5K 5K WHITE 4 LED 2 WATT HP FLANK BULBS 194 168 158 | 1 PAIR) from VLEDS.COM and don't feel that they interfere with the backup camera at all.
I bought the kit from Amazon linked in the "How to with pictures" thread. It has not affected the backup camera as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the replies.

Mazda has improved their back up camera exponentially over the past few years. The camera in my wife's 2013 CX-5 isn't so great overall, and I agree that the LED plate illuminators I transitioned to do in fact interfere slightly in dimly lit areas at night. I have the same set of LEDs on my new 3 and it is a non-issue. The overall camera quality in my 3 is superior. Rather, the imagine quality I guess.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I went with the VLEDS 6K 194 bulb which has six 0.5W LEDs for a 360 degree pattern. They claim output is 180 lumens. They are pretty bright but I've not noticed any camera flare with the backup camera. Pretty happy with the output and appearance. No real problems pulling the bulbs straight out - I washed my hands to remove all oils and to get a better grip.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/360/6-6k.html

All I can say is.. it's too bright for license plate. I went with Philips 194 6000k (realistically, it's more like 5k)

I also wanted to add that one of the license plate LED's I bought is failing already (light has started to visibly flicker badly). I'm going to replace with a different brand soon.

It might be flickering because it's loose so try spinning it a little bit, but otherwise yea might be time for a new one.

Yep, good idea. That could have been an issue as well, but in my case the led has completely failed. Sad how short a life span it had.

Saw someone in Amazon commented: "... The only little problem that I had was when I put the 2 bulbs in the license plate area the brightness of the new bulbs made the back up monitor have a slight glare to it and was a littlie difficult to see what was behind you. I left the bulbs in mostly because I do not drive that much at night." Do you guys have similar experience on this? Which LED kit were you guys getting from?

I installed the "Philips 194 Bright White Interior Vision LED light" and bought them at https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned).

Yep, good idea. That could have been an issue as well, but in my case the led has completely failed. Sad how short a life span it had.

What brand of LEDs did you buy? I've changed all incandecent bulbs to LED bulbs in both my CX-5 and Ford Fiesta... but only the ones available from Philips. No complaints at all, they have worked flawlessly regardless of the weather out there (up to -25C), and the vehicles look awesome. I even contacted Philips for the amber ones, and soon they will be released to the market... and right away I will replace all amber bulbs to LED.

Back