New Owner - service question

DBLXX

:
CX-5
Quick question - (2016 GT w/Tech)

We need to set the oil change reminder manually in the system to the desired mileage?

Same for tire rotation?

Book says 10,000 miles or 12 months on oil and 5,000 on tire rotation. Is this correct?

Thanks

AFAIK, the oil change period is either 7.5K/6 months for normal conditions or 5K/4 months for severe conditions, at least in my 2014.
Obviously, you don't have to set a reminder, it is for your convenience.
My manual says to rotate tires every 7.5K miles.

actually the 'book' goes into great detail in section 6
depends where you are, whether you choose fixed or flexible schedule, severity of driving conditions, etc

changing the oil change indicator is also in that section
so - sorry -no easy answer really - depends on which schedule you follow
and i think it shows MAX periods

did the dealer not go through all that stuff on delivery ?

We need to set the oil change reminder manually in the system to the desired mileage?

Same for tire rotation?

Book says 10,000 miles or 12 months on oil and 5,000 on tire rotation. Is this correct?

Thanks

Yes, you need to set both of those items manually for the car to remind you, but you don't NEED to have the car remind you. They're listed under the maintenance sub menu of the APPS menu.
I find the mileage puzzling also, my dealer has me coming in at 7,500 mi (or 12 months) for both the oil change and the tire rotation. I thought that was too long personally, but since it's a lease and I've already paid for all of my services for the life of the lease, I'm going to follow their recommendation. If I purchased the vehicle, I'd change the oil myself much earlier than the recommended interval.

Same for tire rotation?
Thanks
10,000 miles or 12 months on oil change that is the maximum allowable OCI if you use "Flexible" oil change schedule and Mazda moly oil. Flexible OCI is kind of new here in the US but it has been widely used in Europe and other countries for years to maximize the oil life and minimize the oil wastes.

On '16's you can set oil change monitor to "Flexible" and just watch "Oil Change" with % of oil life which is independent from "Maintenance" schedule. When oil life dropped to certain %, a red "Oil Change Due!" message will be displayed along with wrench indicator whereas when "Maintenance" is due, a red "Maintenance Due!" message will be displayed with wrench indicator. You simply just wait for the message in a year time frame or 10,000 miles range and change the oil. Or you change the oil when you reached one of these maximum. This is the best way for those of us who accumulating minimum miles on CX-5 as oil change interval can be up to the maximum of 12 months with "Flexible" setting!

By using flexible OCI, the owner's manual says "Mazda genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance."

I use flexible OCI so that I can change oil yearly with Mazda moly oil and OEM filter at around 5,000 miles. And I can have a base to argue if I ever run into any warranty issues related to oil. I definitely will not wait until 10,000 miles to do it within a year.

Dealer's had slight idea on flexible OCI. They only told me to come in and change the oil at 5 months or 5,000 miles.

"Maintenance" and "Tire Rotation" schedules are defaulted to 4 months/5,000 miles and 5,000 miles. I haven't bothered to change it but the "Maintenance Due!" message did come up after 4 months and 1,800 miles and I simply reset it. You do need to set flexible OCI ASAP on your new CX-5 if you choose to do it so that your calculation is up to date and accurate.

yrwei52 - THANK YOU

I will set to flex after the 1st change. I plan on doing that at 5K and go to Caster Full Syn.

Thx again

Back