white reverse light tinted red

:
Mazda 6 iTouring 6MT
been wanting to try this and I think it's a success. haven't found any pics of anyone doing this but if interested its a red tail light film by 3m, goes for $8 on amazon.
14cdxjd.jpg
1176wwg.jpg
24nif6t.jpg

I can understand this to make the lights look more uniform....but wouldn't this cause confusion to other drivers when you're reversing?

Reminds me of the confusion I get from GM cars for lighting up the reverse lights when the driver only unlocks the car and is not actually in reverse.

Wasn't expecting the kind of responses I received. I've seen all redded out taillights numerous times and honestly I don't see an issue with them. If anything it's smoked or blacked out taillights that are worse. The reverse light still works and I don't see myself driving around in reverse all over the road enough to even matter.

I will say I like the way it looks and it makes the lights look more uniform, but maybe I've had enough bad experiences of getting confused from other people modifying their rear lights to not prefer it. Ineffective LED bulb replacements for the reverse or brake lights that are barely visible during the day time come to mind.

I try to look for the white reverse lights from other cars when I'm backing up myself or while going down the aisles. So by turning the reverse lights red, it potentially causes more miscommunication between you and the other drivers. If you haven't had any issues of increased near accidents because of that, then our opinions are moot.

I will say I like the way it looks and it makes the lights look more uniform, but maybe I've had enough bad experiences of getting confused from other people modifying their rear lights to not prefer it. Ineffective LED bulb replacements for the reverse or brake lights that are barely visible during the day time come to mind.

I try to look for the white reverse lights from other cars when I'm backing up myself or while going down the aisles. So by turning the reverse lights red, it potentially causes more miscommunication between you and the other drivers. If you haven't had any issues of increased near accidents because of that, then our opinions are moot.

I couldn't agree more.

agree, they look nice, uniform etc etc

but wondering about the legal and insurance implications ?

The reverse light still works and I don't see myself driving around in reverse all over the road enough to even matter.

Do they shine through white or do they now look red? If it's red, then no, your lights do not work anymore because they effectively look like a brake light and don't let people know when you are reversing.

You're opening yourself up to a ticket driving like that. Plus, you're going to fail your state safety examination when it comes time to get your car looked at.

There is a reason why the standard color scheme of tail lights have been adapted by automakers: dim red light for tail lights, bright red light for braking, amber light for turning, and white/clear light for backing-up. These are all for safety reasons and have been getting used to by almost every driver. If you change any of these standard color scheme, this will only confuse other drivers and cause dangerous situation. I hate many US automakers, especially GM, who are not following international standard to adapt the rear turn signals to amber color instead of keeping it red to save some cost and for more uniformed look!

I didn't realize so many people on this forum were so concerned about safety of the white reverse light and yet no one seems to mind a completely blacked out taillight where you can't see anything. I see blacked out taillights and headlights 24/7, I just added a bit of red to enhance the overall look of my rear. If it becomes an inspection issue, then i'll just remove it, it peels off in seconds, but I doubt it will be.

I just had a friend of mine put the car in reverse so I could check it out, it's not pure white like before, has a slight reddish tint but it looks different from the break light which is of course a very bright red light.

Last edited:
I guess this comes with the type of audience that comes with the car. When I had the protege5, it was mostly high schoolers/young college kids that did this type of stuff to their car and was met with great acclaim. But with the CX5, we're getting a bit older and are probably over the "young and reckless " phase, so safety is a concern that comes up more readily.

By all means I don't want to insult or anything, if it works for you that's great. You get to look good and still be functional. Just wanted to voice the safety concern.

You may want to consider your personal liability when the owner modified a car in a manner that was not approved of by the manufacturer or through installation one of their accessories and your modification causes an accident. You will be left without any insurance coverage and the civil implications can be staggering. It may look cool but I would remove your modification. Modify appearances all you want, but don't touch safety.

I didn't realize so many people on this forum were so concerned about safety of the white reverse light and yet no one seems to mind a completely blacked out taillight where you can't see anything. I see blacked out taillights and headlights 24/7, I just added a bit of red to enhance the overall look of my rear. If it becomes an inspection issue, then i'll just remove it, it peels off in seconds, but I doubt it will be.

I just had a friend of mine put the car in reverse so I could check it out, it's not pure white like before, has a slight reddish tint but it looks different from the break light which is of course a very bright red light.

Tinted lights are also bad, if not worse. But, they still show the red as red, amber as amber and white as white albeit in a dimmer way. What you have done is to show white as red, which will lead someone to believe you are parked while you are actually on reverse! Think about the liability if you get into an accident in this situation.

Peeling off during inspection should be the least of your worries.

I see your photo has a North Carolina License plate. NC Law states:

"Back-Up Lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two back-up lamps either separately or in combination with other lamps but any such back-up lamp shall not be lighted when the motor vehicle is in a forward motion nor shall the back-up lamp emit any color other than white."

I'm sure most states have similar statutes. Obviously, you need to remove your modification.

Last edited:
I didn't realize so many people on this forum were so concerned about safety of the white reverse light and yet no one seems to mind a completely blacked out taillight where you can't see anything. I see blacked out taillights and headlights 24/7

I guess this comes with the type of audience that comes with the car. When I had the protege5, it was mostly high schoolers/young college kids that did this type of stuff to their car and was met with great acclaim. But with the CX5, we're getting a bit older and are probably over the "young and reckless " phase, so safety is a concern that comes up more readily.

I'm 28 and I think the tinted head and taillight scene is beyond stupid, so it's not an older person thing. Just because you see a bunch of cars like it doesn't make it right. It's not as bad as someone who has their tail lights tinted so dark that on a highway at night you can't even see their lights but it still puts other people and yourself in danger. End of the day, it's your car to do with what you want, but the comments are pretty unnimous that it's not a good idea.

I see your photo has a North Carolina License plate. NC Law states:

"Back-Up Lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two back-up lamps either separately or in combination with other lamps but any such back-up lamp shall not be lighted when the motor vehicle is in a forward motion nor shall the back-up lamp emit any color other than white."

I'm sure most states have similar statutes. Obviously, you need to remove your modification.

yeah i'll get on that right away, thanks

Think of want to convert the reverse light into an auxiliary brake light (waiting for the high power T15 red led to ship in). Got to relocate the reverse light.... Not only to avoid getting ticket, I want people know I'm backing up my car.
Bought a pair of cheap COB LED light bar, spent a weekend playing with silicone caulk, electric drill, aerosol paint, wires, plier.... finally fixed and integrated the reverse light just next to license plate :

345fsau.jpg

30vmb61.jpg

Last edited:
You'll need to keep in mind the safety and insurance ramifications if someone hits you while you are backing out.

That being said, I have lamin-x red on my NC MX-5 and it looks great. Just gotta be *very* careful backing up. It's a weekend car and I only take it out during good weather. I'm considering removing the film and going with a smoked tint instead of red, however.

Back