2016 CX-5 questions

bbtfastback

:
2016 CX-5 GT Tech
Love my 2016 CX-5, but have a few questions:
- I often turn the car off with the windows open. Do I have to restart the car to close the windows, or is there another way to close them without starting the car?
- I seem to get "chalky" marks on the bottom exterior trim - when I remove them via water, they reappear in different forms elsewhere...is this common?

Loving this car!

Thanks guys

- I often turn the car off with the windows open. Do I have to restart the car to close the windows, or is there another way to close them without starting the car?
- I seem to get "chalky" marks on the bottom exterior trim - when I remove them via water, they reappear in different forms elsewhere...is this common?

Loving this car!

Thanks guys

- Push the start button twice WITHOUT pressing the break pedal and push the start button again to turn it off.

You can also operate the windows for a set period of time (something like 30 seconds) after turning the ignition off. Time to read the owners' manual!

You can also operate the windows for a set period of time (something like 30 seconds) after turning the ignition off. Time to read the owners' manual!

Just the driver's window in mine. Did they add reserve power to the other windows for '16?

Loving this car!

Thanks guys

Regarding the chalky marks on the black trim, does this happen after you wash the car or go through a car wash? It sounds like wax residue. A product like Mother's Back To Black or Mother's Protectant will help to remove them and also help to prevent the wax from adhering in future.

Regarding the chalky marks on the black trim, does this happen after you wash the car or go through a car wash? It sounds like wax residue. A product like Mother's Back To Black or Mother's Protectant will help to remove them and also help to prevent the wax from adhering in future.

No I don't think that it's from a car wash. Maybe will post some photos. It's not on the metal exterior but rather the plastic trim at the bottom.

No I don't think that it's from a car wash. Maybe will post some photos. It's not on the metal exterior but rather the plastic trim at the bottom.

Yes, wax that gets on black plastic trim will generally cause the kind of chalky marks that you mentioned. The two products that I mentioned will help to remove the chalky marks from the trim and also help to prevent wax from adhering to the trim in future.

Yes, wax that gets on black plastic trim will generally cause the kind of chalky marks that you mentioned. The two products that I mentioned will help to remove the chalky marks from the trim and also help to prevent wax from adhering to the trim in future.

Thank you!

Back to black won't take off any wax residue that is on the black trim. The best solutions for that are, from least aggressive to most aggressive: peanut oil, pink eraser, WD-40. Back to black will help restore fading and drying but to be honest it's not that that good a product. There are much better trim restorers out there. I've never tried mothers mothers protectant but 303 aerospace protectant is the gold standard for Protectants.

Take some pics of these chalky spots. It could be something else. We'll help you out.

Back to black won't take off any wax residue that is on the black trim. The best solutions for that are, from least aggressive to most aggressive: peanut oil, pink eraser, WD-40. Back to black will help restore fading and drying but to be honest it's not that that good a product. There are much better trim restorers out there. I've never tried mothers mothers protectant but 303 aerospace protectant is the gold standard for Protectants.

Take some pics of these chalky spots. It could be something else. We'll help you out.

I'll do it tomorrow for sure. Thanks!!!

Here are some pictures from this morning in various spots. I've had the car for a week. The spots come off with water and light scrubbing but then reappear.
50d384564a2630d955bc705a15c39219.jpg

Any thoughts guys?

I use this with great results. I hadn't thought of using the 303... I've used that for 20 years on my hot tub covers.

36462.png

Looks like some wax build up on there. Get your self some peanut oil the next time your at the store and try that. Or if you have a large pencil eraser at home you can try getting the wax marks off with that. Lastly, if those fail, try WD-40 on a rag and wipe it off. As for trim restorer products there's no end to the choices. I've not been a fan of the mothers back to black, though it is sold almost everywhere. The meguiars ultimate trim restore is pretty good stuff. What I have been hearing great things about on the detailing forums is the turtle wax jet black trim restore. Seems like some awesome stuff. Since my cars new I've been using 303 and meguiars ultimate liquid wax (which is actually a synthetic polymer sealant) that is safe on plastic trim and doesn't stain like natural waxes.

Looks like some wax build up on there. Get your self some peanut oil the next time your at the store and try that. Or if you have a large pencil eraser at home you can try getting the wax marks off with that. Lastly, if those fail, try WD-40 on a rag and wipe it off. As for trim restorer products there's no end to the choices. I've not been a fan of the mothers back to black, though it is sold almost everywhere. The meguiars ultimate trim restore is pretty good stuff. What I have been hearing great things about on the detailing forums is the turtle wax jet black trim restore. Seems like some awesome stuff. Since my cars new I've been using 303 and meguiars ultimate liquid wax (which is actually a synthetic polymer sealant) that is safe on plastic trim and doesn't stain like natural waxes.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Should I be using a different product on the plastic trim vs the rest of the car?

Magic Eraser. They have cheapo versions at some dollar stores. A lot of detailing forums use it for this exact reason.

I've used Back to Black for over a decade on exterior trim. I find, if applied correctly, it's perfectly good stuff.

I did change it up recently, and tried Ultimate Black, pictured above. Seems to have better longevity than B2B.

The key is application. Don't just use a rag or whatever. That plastic is very porous or textured. It needs to be brushed on with a nylon bristled brush. Medium to soft firmness. I scrub with the brush, and then wipe away with a cloth, then follow up with a final cloth application. It takes time, but it removes water spots, wax and dirt that is embedded in the pours of the plastic.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the detailed reply. Should I be using a different product on the plastic trim vs the rest of the car?

What do you mean a different product on the trim then the rest of the car? The plastic restorers should only be used on the plastic trim, it's not suitable for the paint. For the paint a good quality wax or sealant is best. There are literally hundreds of waxes and sealants out there that will do a fin job. A natural wax, such as carnauba wax will leave white residue on the trim pieces like you already have. I prefer to use a synthetic sealant (often time labeled a wax) for paint protection. Most people don't understand the difference and its a marketing thing with the companys. Two that I have found to work well and are very friendly to put on and take off are Turtle wax Ice wax (both liquid and paste) and the Meguiars Ultimate wax. Both of those are labeled waxes but they are actually fully synthetic polymer paint sealants. There are trade offs with using a synthetic sealant vs a wax, sealants will last longer but some feel they don't provide the depth and wet look that a natural wax can. Natural waxs don't last as long, can be harder to put on and remove and need to be applied more often. I recently "waxed" the car with meguiars ultimate liquid wax and really liked the results. It give a nice deep glossy finish and was extremely easy to put on and take off. The liquid version will not stain and discolor the black trim, which there is a fair amount of on the CX-5. In fact I applied a coat directly to the black trim. Its a personal preference as to what you want to use. I chose the Meguiars Ultimate wax because it's safe for black trim, lasts a long time, goes on easy and provides a nice shine, that and it's available at most auto stores and walmart and the like.

I've used Back to Black for over a decade on exterior trim. I find, if applied correctly, it's perfectly good stuff.

I did change it up recently, and tried Ultimate Black, pictured above. Seems to have better longevity than B2B.

The key is application. Don't just use a rag or whatever. That plastic is very porous or textured. It needs to be brushed on with a nylon bristled brush. Medium to soft firmness. I scrub with the brush, and then wipe away with a cloth, then follow up with a final cloth application. It takes time, but it removes water spots, wax and dirt that is embedded in the pours of the plastic.

I'm not saying that back to black is a bad product or trying to dis you for using it. I'm only saying that I feel there are better products that are out there now. Like you said, You've been using back to black for over a decade, the technology in these types of products has come along way in 10 years. Other products will produce a darker finish, last longer and are easier to apply in my opinion. Back to black doesn't actually clean the wax off the plastic trim. When you say it removes those things, it doesn't, it only masks them until the product wears away. If you're happy with the results then good for you, by all means keep using what you like. I like to try new products all the time in hopes of finding some that work better for me personally. I always thought back to black was difficult to apply and never lasted to long.

Here's a good in depth review of many popular trim restorers. Some are over the counter products others are online order only unless you happen to live near an awesome detailing supply store or something. It doesn't have every trim restorer out there but you get a goo idea. Apperantly the guy is going to be doing a round 3 and include the turtle wax jet black endure shine in there. I've used that I have been very happy with it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/75938-trim-restorer-showdown-round-2-long-pic-heavy.html

Magic Eraser. They have cheapo versions at some dollar stores. A lot of detailing forums use it for this exact reason.

I used the generic brand magic erasers to remove paint transfer from when some lady grazed my car with her truck. Another excellent use for the magic is to effortlessly clean the white rubber/foam sides of shoes that get dirty over time. I'm talking back to brand new white looking shoes.

Latest posts

Back