Service notification

BigBuckNasty1

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2015
Ok right at the 3000 mile mark I get the scheduled maintainence message on my info window. Manual says this is a reminder for the next maintainence but the manual also says 7k for first oil change (seems long). Is it just time for oil? Damn

There's a service reminder/notification on the CX-5? Feel stupid asking... is it only on the GT, newer model or something?

There is a service reminder on the cx5. It is not on by default, navigate through the infotainment system. I don't know if it is new to the 2016. But I'm wondering why it came on at 3k. I thought the earliest it would come on was 5k.

It must definitely be something you have to turn on on the '16's. (queue the "read your manual" crowd). I am just over 4K, and never saw a reminder.

on the '16's there is an option in one of the menus, I can't remember where exactly, that allows you to set the service reminders. You can set it by time, ie every 6 months, or by distance like every 3,000 miles. The intervals can be changed to you preference, I set mine to every 5,000 miles. I just think 7,500mi is a bit far and I'd rather be safe then sorry

Mine did the same thing but at around 1000 miles. I think the factory ships these vehicles with a certain time interval set and it went off even though nothing needed attention.

I went into the info settings and turned most of this stuff off. I don't need a car nagging me.

Correct. I don't drive a lot (work from home 4 days a week) at all. Bought the car 4/1 and here it is 7/8 and I have only 1,682 miles logged. That being said, I have my option set to distance (6 months to keep within warranty regulations) rather than mileage since there's no way I'll be at 7,500 miles, let alone 5K, by 10/1.

on the '16's there is an option in one of the menus, I can't remember where exactly, that allows you to set the service reminders. You can set it by time, ie every 6 months, or by distance like every 3,000 miles. The intervals can be changed to you preference, I set mine to every 5,000 miles. I just think 7,500mi is a bit far and I'd rather be safe then sorry
Correct. I don't drive a lot (work from home 4 days a week) at all. Bought the car 4/1 and here it is 7/8 and I have only 1,682 miles logged. That being said, I have my option set to distance (6 months to keep within warranty regulations) rather than mileage since there's no way I'll be at 7,500 miles, let alone 5K, by 10/1.
On '16's you can set oil change monitor to "Flexible" and just watch "Oil Change" with % of oil life which is independent from "Maintenance". When oil life dropped to certain %, a red "Oil Change Due!" message will display along with wrench indicator whereas when "Maintenance" is due, a red "Scheduled Due!" message will display with wrench indicator. This is the best way for those like KCSam or us who accumulating minimum miles on CX-5 as oil change interval can be the maximum of 10,000 miles or 12 months with "Flexible" setting!

By using flexible OCI, the owner's manual says "Mazda genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance."

On '16's you can set oil change monitor to "Flexible" and just watch "Oil Change" with % of oil life which is independent from "Maintenance". When oil life dropped to certain %, a red "Oil Change Due!" message will display along with wrench indicator whereas when "Maintenance" is due, a red "Scheduled Due!" message will display with wrench indicator.

Do you know if this is a smart or dumb oil life monitor? The "dumb" monitors just count time and miles. The "smart"monitors, (like GM uses), are computer algorithms that capture many additional variables to calculate oil life. (like cycles, ambient temp, etc, etc)

Do you know if this is a smart or dumb oil life monitor? The "dumb" monitors just count time and miles. The "smart"monitors, (like GM uses), are computer algorithms that capture many additional variables to calculate oil life. (like cycles, ambient temp, etc, etc)
No, I don't think Mazda's is smart enough to do oil analysis and tells you your oil life is up. But from what I read, it is at least as smart as "GM"'s system. That's why when you use flexible OCI setting, "Mazda genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance." :)

You simply just wait for the message in a year time frame or 10,000 miles range and change the oil. Or you change the oil when you reached one of these maximum. Flexible OCI is kind of new here in the US but it has been widely used in Europe and other countries for years to utilize the maximum oil life and reduce the waste.

I use flexible OCI so that I can change oil yearly with Mazda moly oil and OEM filter at around 5,000 miles or less. And I can have a base to argue if I ever have any warranty issues related to oil. I definitely will not wait until 10,000 miles to do it.

I use flexible OCI so that I can change oil yearly with Mazda moly oil and OEM filter at around 5,000 miles or less.

That is a nice feature... wish it was available in earlier years. I do 8-12 month on my non-warrantied vehicles.

Yeah that's totally it. Went though the menus. Apparently my car just turned six months old. Thanks for the tips.

Back