Low coolant just one week old

bhai

:
Mazda
So I get this blue low coolant light every morning and goes away after a few min of driving. Dealer visit I guess.

The blue coolant light is to show you that the engine is cold. This is to let you know to drive slow and gentle until the engine warms up. The old saying is that 90% of the engine wear occurs during the first 10% of driving.

Just another hint

The blue coolant light is to show you that the engine is cold. This is to let you know to drive slow and gentle until the engine warms up. The old saying is that 90% of the engine wear occurs during the first 10% of driving.

Just another hint, UNTIL you get to your manual (a bit HUGE at that!).
I found that the 1st sections on the meanings of the dash indicators are imperative readings!!

If that light should turn RED...You have overheated!! or are about to! PULL OVER!!

I downloaded a copy to read on my computer! (do a google search and you will find it!) That way you can search for items without having to go thru the whole deal!

The dealer walk-thru should explain this.
The owners manual explains this.
We here can also explain this.

The coolant temperature gauge has been replaced with a coolant temperature light.

BLUE = Engine is BELOW normal operating temeperature. Refrain from placing high load on motor while lit.
NO LIGHT = Engine is at NORMAL temp. Drive it like you stole it.
FLASHING RED LIGHT = Engine is ABOVE operating temperature
RED LIGHT= DANGER overheating light. PULL OVER ASASP

Last edited:
downloading the manual is a good idea. I think every dealer leaves out something. Mine didn't tell me what kind of gas was preferred.

NO LIGHT = Engine is at NORMAL temp. Drive it like you stole it.
how can i tell when the No Light is on ??? (mj)

FYI to OP
currently - mild to hot summer temps - blue light goes off within 1/2mile or less depending how long we let it idle after start up

Did you actually check the physical level of the coolant in the reservoir before posting about low coolant? My guess is no. Seriously.... this just scares me that I drive the same road ways as people like this. The manual is there for a reason, the blue light is just saying the engine is cold, not the level of coolant.

Did you actually check the physical level of the coolant in the reservoir before posting about low coolant? My guess is no. Seriously.... this just scares me that I drive the same road ways as people like this. The manual is there for a reason, the blue light is just saying the engine is cold, not the level of coolant.

OK, it was a question that could have been easily researched in the manual. So the poster didnt do that. This is a forum to ask questions about Mazda's , not just the questions you feel are appropriate. Your response was unnecessary and condescending, but as long as we are on the subject, I'd rather drive on roads with "people like this" than with people like you.

The coolant tank is located under the hood on back of the radiator, and conveniently located on the drivers side of the coolant tank, are 2 easy to read marks on the side of the tank, while parked on a level surface, your green coolant level should be between the "H" and "L" lines.

to stay slightly on topic, I was slightly annoyed when I realized there is no gauge for engine temp and just a light that comes on. Slightly chincy on Mazda's part, IMO.

OK, it was a question that could have been easily researched in the manual. So the poster didnt do that. This is a forum to ask questions about Mazda's , not just the questions you feel are appropriate. Your response was unnecessary and condescending, but as long as we are on the subject, I'd rather drive on roads with "people like this" than with people like you.

I really don't care what you think of me or if you feel I was being condescending, which I was. Sometimes the world and the people in it can be harsh. It's the stark reality of life. I don't have a problem with what OP was asking, just the way he did it. Should have asked "what does the blue light at start up mean?" The fact that the OP was assuming he had low coolant and needed to go the dealer is ridiculous. The manual covers all warning lights and what they mean, a properly worded question would get a proper answer, a stupid assumption just makes an a$$ out of U and Me! A little common sense goes a long way and yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question. And if you don't believe there are stupid questions then there sure are stupid people.

I really don't care what you think of me or if you feel I was being condescending, which I was. Sometimes the world and the people in it can be harsh. It's the stark reality of life. I don't have a problem with what OP was asking, just the way he did it. Should have asked "what does the blue light at start up mean?" The fact that the OP was assuming he had low coolant and needed to go the dealer is ridiculous. The manual covers all warning lights and what they mean, a properly worded question would get a proper answer, a stupid assumption just makes an a$$ out of U and Me! A little common sense goes a long way and yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question. And if you don't believe there are stupid questions then there sure are stupid people.

Wow - why be so rude?? How sad. Lighten up! You're coming across as one of those stupid people....

Guys calm down. Its a light. I had the same question (i did figure it out in the manual...) its a legitimate question.

Remember, there are many people out there that know nothing about the car. All they know is how to start it and how to make it move.
Reading the manual really is enlighting, even to the car guy. So I car pool to work, and last week the driver was always complaining about something on the dash. With all the gadgets these days, she couldn't figure it out. I showed her there a was a box on the passenger side, that usually had car info inside. I opened a big book (manual), flipped to the page, and made the adjustments. Honestly she was totally perplexed and never ever thought of looking in that book.(hand)

As for the idiot light instead of a guage? I'm used to gauges and at first sort of missed it. But now after some time, I don't even think about it. No light on, No worries, pretty simple. I have seen many other cars going this route.

Guys calm down. Its a light. I had the same question (i did figure it out in the manual...) its a legitimate question.

Totally agree. No need to be rude to the guy asking the question. That's all I'm saying. Let's support each other and not be jerks.

A little off topic but if you want more exact reading of temp you can always use a cheap OBD2 dongle and one of the free or nominally priced OBD2 diagnostic phone apps

Back