2016 Headlights replaced today

Krul1

:
2016 CX5 touring
Finally got the call from the dealer the replacement LED headlights arrived,,,
5hrs later, completed and washed Total cost $2620.00 Thankfully I paid nothing.

LED headlight cost at least ~$700-$900 each if it's new... add labor and it's around that price

I cant prove it, but I was told $1100 each...
Both of them were slightly cloudy and what looked like stress cracks around the top edge on the inside.

I cant prove it, but I was told $1100 each...
Both of them were slightly cloudy and what looked like stress cracks around the top edge on the inside.
Sounds like these were plastic housings' defect, not LED's or circuitries' fault.

You are 100% correct, everything worked,But I thought after having the vehicle only 2 days that they were defective,,,
service manager agreed...

You are 100% correct, everything worked,But I thought after having the vehicle only 2 days that they were defective,,,
service manager agreed...
May be I should check my LED headlight housing to make sure there is no stress cracks like yours. You don't happen to have pictures showing these cracks, do you?

One way to AVOID this is NOT to clean the lenses with alcohol. This is a rookie mistake many new wrappers make, and why GM at one point refused to warranty these exact failures if the lens was wrapped. All of my sports cars got extensive wrap jobs from a competent guy and NONE had this issue as he didn't use anything alcohol based on the polycarbonate lenses.

One way to AVOID this is NOT to clean the lenses with alcohol. This is a rookie mistake many new wrappers make, and why GM at one point refused to warranty these exact failures if the lens was wrapped. All of my sports cars got extensive wrap jobs from a competent guy and NONE had this issue as he didn't use anything alcohol based on the polycarbonate lenses.
The stress cracks on OP's LED headlights were inside of headlight housing, not the polycarbonate lenses. From my personal experience, there are different quality and longevity among those polycarbonate lenses. The polycarbonate headlight lenses on our 178K-mile '98 Honda CR-V are still clear although they have been exposed under all kind of elements and never garaged. Our '01 VW Passat polycarbonate headlight lenses had yellowed 7 year ago although it has only 57K miles. The polycarbonate headlight lenses on our 2000 BMW 528i are still clear but one of them is leaking water inside.

I had mine replaced too from a scuff mark I noticed after I took it home at night. I checked thoroughly during the test drive, but didn't after I signed and drove home at night.

I can't prove it, but I think it happened when they prepped it. I called the next morning and they luckily replaced it free of charge, but I too was told it would have been over $1,000.

It was so new at the time they didn't have parts for it and had to salvage another 2016 on the lot for the lens.

Here is a picture of my lens and the donor car.

Attachments

• IMG_7451.JPG
    IMG_7451.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 951
  • IMG_7472.JPG
    IMG_7472.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_7474.JPG
    IMG_7474.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
From a manufacturing cost's perspective, the LED headlight can't cost that much. However, it is a captive/non competitive market and the car maker will price them for maximum profit. I recently had to replace the side mirror on the CX-5. Cost about USD $500. Someone damaged the side mirror while the car is parked. Really annoyed me as the car is only 2 weeks old. Insurance paid for the mirror but there is no courtesy on whoever damaged the mirror to leave a note.

Soulredcx5. Quite hard to see from the pictures as there is reflection. Are the problems cloudy head lamp and stress crack on the head lamp?

Soulredcx5. Quite hard to see from the pictures as there is reflection. Are the problems cloudy head lamp and stress crack on the head lamp?

You can see from the hazy parts , it's in the inside, look like mould.. the car is only 2 weeks old.

I had mine replaced too from a scuff mark I noticed after I took it home at night. I checked thoroughly during the test drive, but didn't after I signed and drove home at night.

I can't prove it, but I think it happened when they prepped it. I called the next morning and they luckily replaced it free of charge, but I too was told it would have been over $1,000.

It was so new at the time they didn't have parts for it and had to salvage another 2016 on the lot for the lens.

Here is a picture of my lens and the donor car.

Is that Kennedy Mazda in Plymouth Meeting, Pa?

Is that Kennedy Mazda in Plymouth Meeting, Pa?

Yeah - great place - I had a really good purchasing experience there.

After having a poor experience with 4 other dealerships, they were a sigh of relief!

You can tell that just from the picture??

Back