How often to you clean / protect your leather interior??

Bon Scott

Contributor
:
2014.5 CX-5 GT AWD
I have sand leather inside my 2014 black CX-5 and have come to realize it can mark up over time. Picked up some Lexol cleaner and protector today and did the front seats and doors (the hand slot on the passenger door was getting rather dirty). How often are you folks cleaning and / or protecting your leather interiors??

Bon

I do mine on an as needed basis, but my black leather is tough to deal with, as you can't see what is really going on.

Years ago, I owned a 1981 Porsche 911SC that had a leather dash board...That was a real bear with the Nevada sun granting no mercy!!
Learned about a great leather conditioner called HIDE FOOD. It was supposedly recommended by Rolls Royce. They (Conolly) still make Hide Food, but I don't know if it is the same stuff or???

I found out back then that the real problem with leather wearing out, was really caused by fine dirt that penetrated the hide causing a steady abrasion. Today's leather is a different beast though. I really do not like it, especially in the summers, where you stick to your seats...Ufggh...Hurts like hell. Winters are also bad news, since the leather feels colder than everything else...Meh...thats why I insist on heated seats!

Twice a year, spring and fall. This is part of the major clean/wax interior/exterior which takes most of the day and happens just after the wheel change-over.

Brian

I clean mine twice a year using Pinnacle Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

I use a suite of Lexol products. Only one of which is a conditioner, and so I don't condition every detail, but I do use the Lexol cleaner every detail. It noticibly removes dirt. I also use a Lexol vinyl cleaner and protector in my 1967 Skylark. It's a good product.

There's probably better out there for leather care, but Lexol is good and affordable.

One vote for Zaino products. Had some ballpoint pen scribbles on the sand leather seats in my 2015 CX-5, and the Zaino leather cleaner lifted it straight up. Have been using the Zaino conditioner on the leather seats of my S2000 for the last 14 years and they have held up very well, too.

Back