So where are all the CX-5s in British Columbia??

:
23 CX-5 Premium
Spending a few days vacationing on Vancouner Island and have so far seen a ton of 5s (maybe this is where Mazda should send all the leftover 5s in Calif!), lots of 3s, quite a few 2s and CX-9s and maybe 3 or 4 CX-5s! From this forum, I expected to see the area flooded with them! I'm seeing more Smart cars here than CX-5s!

BTW, my rental car is a Subaru Imprezza and I have nothing but good things to say about their CVT. I almost bought one two years ago instead of the Mazda and though I still prefer the positive shifts of the SkyActiv 6AT, the CVT would not be a deal breaker in the slightest. I will never understand why the automotive press gives them such low marks. Especially those as well-sorted as the Subaru and Honda units. And the gas mileage is phenomenal!

Hmm, did you see many Mirages? There seem to be a lot of Canada owners on the forum.

There are many! Mazdas sell very well in Canada, and CX-5s are common. Maybe more common in cities in which there are Mazda dealers?

No Mirages, but this appears to be the kind of market you would see them in and Mitsubishi does have a presence here with the Outlander.

I have friends who have and/or lived in Canadian cities, and they mention small cars are popular due to lack of parking spaces and high costs of gas per liter. Hope you had a good time on vacation.

I have friends who have and/or lived in Canadian cities, and they mention small cars are popular due to lack of parking spaces and high costs of gas per liter. Hope you had a good time on vacation.
Gas is $5/gal and yet they seem to have a vehicle mix similar to US. SUVs of all manor and plenty of truck. Go figure!

Where on Vancouver Island were you staying? On the Island, pickups are the norm. I lived in Campbell River for years and everyone had or wanted a pickup....Victoria tends to have a lot of smaller, more efficient cars, mainly due to the proximity to the provincial government and a lot of the green influence/lifestyle culture. Elsewhere on the island, it all about trucks (or at least it used to be) There aren't that many dealerships on the Island so people tend to buy what's closest to them. Usually Fords and GM's. Over in Vancouver and surrounding cities there are tons of CX-5. I think at least 3-5 on my street alone!

I hope you had a great stay!

Wouldn't that be tonnes? ;-)

It depends on whether you mean Metric tonnes or not. LOL

I used to work with Freight, we always had to refer to them as tons or tunees so that you could distinguish them out loud. It was very confusing at first.

I was on Vancouver Island in 2013 and the CX-5 wasn't well known back then, but there were loads of them. I suppose I was on the lookout as I hadn't had mine very long. I recall there was a dealer in Victoria, and one of the rental companies were putting them out (possibly Budget, they were up at Colwood nearly opposite Thrifty).

Vancouver airport had a lot of white ones on the apron as well.

It depends on whether you mean Metric tonnes or not. LOL

I used to work with Freight, we always had to refer to them as tons or tunees so that you could distinguish them out loud. It was very confusing at first.

Good idea. Using a homonym (no homo!) for metric tonnes is a dumb idea.

I live in Alberta. We have one Mazda dealer in a town that just turned pop of 100,000. Couple weeks ago I counted over 80 CX5's on their lot. Yep they are popular. Had to install aftermarket wheels so I know which one is mine.
As for gas, $5/gal is average. Right now ours is $1/L ($4/ US gal), but tomorrow it maybe 20% higher. I do like the CX5 mileage, but I also have a full size 4x4. We like our toys so can't live without the truck.

Back