Tools for body part removals and general maintenance

zlocity

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
Hi guys, I'm thinking to start tinkering a lot with my 2016 CX-5. What tools did you need or recommend to easily remove/reinstall body parts or mechanical parts?

Thanks,

Let's see....
  • Change Oil
  • Change wheels
  • Install rearview mirror / dash cam (removes A-Pillar and plays with fuse box)
  • Install rear dash cam (no idea which body parts required to run wires all the way back)
  • Upgrade audio system (again, accessing all parts without breaking them)
  • Upgrade headlights to LED (from halogen)
  • Change wiper/blades

aside form this being a forum for "here is how you do this" and not "how do I do this?" lol.... ok so you will need sockets sized 10mm, for the underbody panel 17mm for the wheels, Phillips/flathead screwdriver for screws and plastic push rivets.. most of the interior trim pops in and out by hand..

For the oil change you will need an 8mm alan wrench (Sears) and an oil filter cup wrench (WalMart) (forgot the size number). ed

I think that anyone seriously considering these tasks - which is great by the way - likely already has all of the tools he/she needs. A fairly standard, decent sized tool kit should get you pretty far. And the good news is that you'll have an excuse to go buy more tools if you run into a project you don't have the tools to complete! :)

For the oil change you will need an 8mm alan wrench (Sears) and an oil filter cup wrench (WalMart) (forgot the size number). ed

I don't have the right sized oil filter wrench so I just grab it with two hands and turn it off. So far, no issues.

Me as well, I always removed mine by hand. although last time I did it was a b**** to do.

For the oil filters I've always liked my trusty Lisle oil filter wrench. The great thing with this kind is that they get tighter when you turn them with your ratchet handle. Very good for getting stubborn oil filters off. It doesn't appear that there would be much trouble getting good leverage on the CX-5 oil filter by hand but other vehicles I've changed oil with the filter is at such a position where it's hard to get enough leverage with my hand to get them off.

51RMpeAiQ4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

for other tools I would highly recommend you check out one of craftsmans mechanic sets. They can usually be found on sale and will include most sockets and wrenches that you would need for just about everything. If those sets are a bit too rich for you, consider looking for just metric sockets and wrenches as most every vehicle today is using metric fasteners. I hardly use my SAE stuff anymore.

Last edited:
For the oil change you will need the aluminium washer for the drain plug. Try mazdaparts.org they sell Mazda oil filters, the correct filter wrench,and washers at discounted prices.

Back